Thread Rating:

boymimbo
boymimbo
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5098
December 5th, 2010 at 7:39:43 AM permalink
Back on topic somewhat. Macau is doing so well because of the sheer market size in China, Japan, and India. Chinese people (in general) love to gamble because they are a much more superstitious society (try to sell a house to Chinese person with the number 4 in it, or even better, try to find the number "4" on a Pai Gow table) and believe in luck. It's because their numbers sound eerily close to words representing good fortune or bad fortune. Imagine if the number eight in English was pronounced "death". Well, four sounds exactly like that in Mandarin.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 211
  • Posts: 10969
December 5th, 2010 at 9:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

You would think that the Chinese would consider opening another gaming center near the mega cities of Beijing or Shanghai.

No, the various distance and travel barriers and Special Administrative Zones are very much desired.

Singapore is already worried about its local population and the effects of casino revenue on militants.

A vast untapped market is indeed a wonderfully profitable opportunity... just think of the Opium Trade that had to be created in bygone eras.
7outlineaway
7outlineaway
Joined: Nov 13, 2009
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 282
December 5th, 2010 at 1:04:16 PM permalink
I was in Hong Kong last week and took a day trip to Macau. So about $120 of that $2.1 billion was from me. Was worth the experience.

I saw one baccarat table at the Wynn where the posted limits were $5000 to $500,000 HKD. This was a table that was out in the open (visible from the main floor) on a Monday afternoon, and I wasn't explicitly scouring the whole place for the highest table I could find. So I'm sure they go even higher.

I think the only reasons American citizens would regularly travel to Asia to gamble are (1) they are of recent Asian descent and/or have strong business or family connections there and (2) they really, really like baccarat. Also, Americans would have to have some way to get around the US cash reporting laws, such as a bank account in Hong Kong the IRS can't trace. Furthermore, Macau has more gambling revenue, but the entire tourist industry seems much more developed in Vegas, and certainly much more geared to American tastes in Vegas.
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
December 5th, 2010 at 10:01:33 PM permalink
If I take a curry sauce and put garlic in it? It's kinda tasty.

I'd advise those hating garlic never to go to Garlic and Shots in London. You go in, and everything has garlic in it. Ladles and ladles of it. Including the desserts and one of the beers. You come out marinated in it, and the food is quite lovely, including the hottest, tastiest chilli I've ever managed to eat AND enjoy.

Nowt wrong with a good Ruby Murray. I'd like to thank Indian, Pakistan and Bangladesh for sharing a great cuisine with us.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 402
  • Posts: 19872
December 5th, 2010 at 10:27:38 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321



(And does he even realize that there's no such thing as "curried garlic"? Lol.)



Are you joking???? I mix garlic and curry in many stirfry dishes, it calls for it in the recipe. Do you even know how to cook? What do you think that smell coming from Indian restaurants is? Italian meal balls?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
December 5th, 2010 at 10:56:52 PM permalink
Food porn : http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2008/04/thick-garlic-curry.html
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
mkl654321
mkl654321
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3412
December 5th, 2010 at 11:00:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Are you joking???? I mix garlic and curry in many stirfry dishes, it calls for it in the recipe. Do you even know how to cook? What do you think that smell coming from Indian restaurants is? Italian meal balls?



It's possible to combine the two ingredients, but I repeat, there's no such thing as "curried garlic". There IS such a thing as "garlic curry".

And just because you mix garlic and curry in a stir-fry doesn't mean that the dish is called "curried garlic". But enough cooking semantics---I'm rather laugh at Jerry's smell-o-phone.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
HKrandom
HKrandom
Joined: Oct 1, 2010
  • Threads: 18
  • Posts: 130
December 5th, 2010 at 11:06:04 PM permalink
Quote: 7outlineaway

I was in Hong Kong last week and took a day trip to Macau. So about $120 of that $2.1 billion was from me. Was worth the experience.

I saw one baccarat table at the Wynn where the posted limits were $5000 to $500,000 HKD. This was a table that was out in the open (visible from the main floor) on a Monday afternoon, and I wasn't explicitly scouring the whole place for the highest table I could find. So I'm sure they go even higher.

I think the only reasons American citizens would regularly travel to Asia to gamble are (1) they are of recent Asian descent and/or have strong business or family connections there and (2) they really, really like baccarat. Also, Americans would have to have some way to get around the US cash reporting laws, such as a bank account in Hong Kong the IRS can't trace. Furthermore, Macau has more gambling revenue, but the entire tourist industry seems much more developed in Vegas, and certainly much more geared to American tastes in Vegas.



The highest limit I've seen in a public room was in the Playboy room at the 3rd floor of the Sands. The minimum of every table there is HKD10,000 (USD1,500). Although the Sands gets its fair dose of VIP action, I have yet to see anyone play in the Playboy room; high rollers tend to play at the regular high limit tables or in private rooms. Except during Poker tournaments I rarely see westerners playing in Macau. Casinos there target Chinese customers since it isn't worth the trouble of investing in attracting foreigners. Although Casinos will take your foreign currencies, they will only pay you in Hong Kong dollars as they do not keep Euros and USD, making it very inconvenient for American and European high rollers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 402
  • Posts: 19872
December 5th, 2010 at 11:20:47 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321



And just because you mix garlic and curry in a stir-fry doesn't mean that the dish is called "curried garlic". .



Definiton of curried: 'Cooked or flavoured with curry' You put garlic and oil in a pan, add curry, you have curried garlic.

There you go, then. Anything else you want me to look up?
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
JerryLogan
JerryLogan
Joined: Jun 28, 2010
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 1344
December 5th, 2010 at 11:41:28 PM permalink
Bob, that Indian gal who's family still resides in Delhi and who won this year's Food channel cookoff apparently needs to contact MKL for the right stuff on how to cook with curry. His knowledge on just about every subject is astounding....just about as astounding as how much a fool he makes of himself while making it all up on the go in every thread!

  • Jump to: