No votes (0%)
2 votes (100%)

2 members have voted

JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 20th, 2011 at 2:39:34 PM permalink
I am seeking video poker players' opinion on the presentation of video poker strategies.

Everyone is familiar with the "classic" format: a single list, identifying the position of each play.

I have come up with an alternative format that I find useful, but I don't know if anyone else would.

The theory is this: every play you make falls under one of the following three categories:

1. Pairs & Kinds (one pair, two pair, three of a kind, full house, four of a kind, five of a kind [if applicable])

2. Straights (unsuited cards within 4 ranks of each other)

3. Suited Cards (partial or complete flushes, straight flushes, and royal flushes)
Here is how the basic strategy for 9/6 Jacks or Better looks in this format:

Pairs & Kinds Straights Suited Cards
Four of a Kind Royal Flush
Full House Straight Flush
Three of a Kind 4 to a Royal Flush
Two Pair Straight Flush
4 to a Straight Flush
One Pair (JJ-AA)
3 to a Royal Flush
4 to a Flush
TJQK
One Pair (22-TT)
89TJ, 9TJQ
9TJ, 9TQ
2345-789T
8xJ, 8JQ, 9TQ, 9JK, 9QK
345, 456, 567, 678, 89T
JQ
JQKA
JK, QK
JA, QA, KA
AxxT, KQJ9
A23, Ax4, Ax5, 7xJ, 8xQ, 9TK
JQK
234, 2x5, 3x6, 4x7, 5x8, 6x9, 7xT
JQ
TJ
JK, QK
JA, QA, KA
KT, QT
J, Q, K, or A
2x6, 3x7, 4x8, 5x9, 6xT
Discard Everything

The way to use it is this: if you are checking two plays that fall under the same category (such as 3 to a Royal Flush versus 4 to a Flush) then you make the play listed higher in that column. If you are checking two plays of different types, such as 3 to a Straight Flush versus 4 to a Straight, then you find both in their appropriate columns and make the player that is closer to the top. Note that holding 0 or 1 card(s) is considered as falling under all 3 categories.

My opinion is that it's easier to find the plays you're looking for when the list is broken down into these 3 categories, as opposed to finding it on a single list that contains all types of plays. For example, when figuring out whether to hold a pair of 10's or to hold unsuited KQJT.

So, video poker players, please vote and/or comment on this format if you can. Thanks!
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
December 20th, 2011 at 6:00:45 PM permalink
I like the idea of visually breaking the plays by category, but the table format seems too sparse for my taste, wasting a lot of space.
How about a compromise - put everything back into a single list, but color each line one of three (four? - one more for the bottom two lines) colors according to its category?
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
December 20th, 2011 at 6:16:00 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I like the idea of visually breaking the plays by category, but the table format seems too sparse for my taste, wasting a lot of space.
How about a compromise - put everything back into a single list, but color each line one of three (four? - one more for the bottom two lines) colors according to its category?

I hear what you are saying about the blank space, but it's necessary for this particular format; if it weren't there, the strategy wouldn't be accurate. Also, since there are rows with multiple plays, it actually uses fewer lines/rows than the classic format, even though it may not appear to.

The Wizard also said he preferred a colored list to this format, when I asked him about it a couple of years ago. The colored list is the presentation format that VPSM uses too.
  • Jump to: