SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 3rd, 2016 at 9:22:55 AM permalink
Just got back from 6 nights in Vegas. Saturday through Tuesday with GF at Encore, Tuesday through Friday solo at Rio. Attended medical conference (mostly paid for by work) Tuesday through Friday. Encore part.... didn't like it as much as Wynn. felt every time I went downstairs i wanted to go to the Wynn, especially since I play tiles which is only on the Wynn side. Had lunch at "Jardin" at Encore, ridiculously overpriced foofy attractive restaurant. Small portions which was good because I was going to Wynn buffet that night. I liked the Wynn buffet, but it is only slightly better to me than other buffets (Rio, Palms, Harrah's, etc) My entire gambling comps was a twosome pass to the buffet. The room was very nice, but like the Rio, calling it a suite to me is misleading. GF loved the spa. She had a 50 minute massage and after tip was over $200. To me that is crazy. In Buffalo the same is around $80. With my discount offers, I ended up paying around $200 per night, probably a little less.

Did 9 holes of par 3 golf with the Wiz. You may not believe this, but on his first shot, a 100 yard hole, MIke teed up with his 9 iron, and had a HOLE IN....

a car door. He pulled it so far left it hit a road and bounced up and hit a moving car. After multiple bets, I ended up winning $1 from him, mostly on the strength of me nailing a 45 foot putt. Mike graciously treated me and GF for lunch at the Santa Fe Station. I took a few more dollars from him when I correctly guessed that the waiter would know the names of the two starting super bowl quarterbacks.

At the Rio I was comped except Resort fees, and my previous play entitled me to TEN DOLLARS in match play. I did earn the 50 tier credits required to get the free buffet. Total bill for the 3 nights was around $100. My pai gow tiles and cards gambling was uneventful. I did also play Asia poker a few times at the Gold Coast. Already mentioned somewhere else, but my get away day I was playing with a string of dealers that were so bad I was playing at a huge advantage. As sometimes happens, even with the huge advantage, I only broke even as variance was not going my way. I wish I was able to take pictures of the dealer's mis sets, but I think that would have been frowned upon. They did comp me lunch at their Noodle Bar, which I think is a great lunch special, even if you have to pay for it.

Other restaurants I went to with my Vegas transplant friends....
Flemings Steakhouse in Town Square..... Good food, but I think overpriced for what you get.
Table 10 in Palazzo / Venetian I enjoyed their multi course dinner. Don't regret going there but not champing at the bit to return.
Makino My favorite place to eat. I'm a sushi pig. I can eat a pound of their seaweed salad alone....
Rio buffet Same as always. Totally acceptable. Interestingly they have merged the Seafood Buffet with the regular buffet, but you need a special wristband to get access to the 'good stuff', which I think is an extra $15.
In N Out Burger I thought it was just OK. I think I like a whopper with extra mayo and extra onion better.

Coincidence.... In the Encore I see people (the majority attractive young women) wearing nametags, and I ask what brings them all to Vegas. They are there for a company meeting, and it happens the company is one that sells stuff to anesthesiologists! I know the East Coast bigwig for the company, and text her and find out she is there. She and GF and I went out in October and December at last two anesthesia conferences. She asks me for a favor.... to dissuade her from buying a beautiful purse at the Encore. She says it's a Chanel. I ask her how much... She says guess... $1500? Higher! $2200 Higher! I give up! $3700... Essentially $4000 after tax!!!! I looked at the purse/bag (It was bigger than a regular purse). My brain said it should be $100 at TJ Maxx. Help me BBB! Is there a purse worth $4k?
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
February 3rd, 2016 at 9:35:24 AM permalink
Nice trip report. You should tell your friend to put $4000 on tiles and try to get the purse for FREE.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 3rd, 2016 at 9:40:53 AM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

Nice trip report. You should tell your friend to put $4000 on tiles and try to get the purse for FREE.

I didn't mention it, but I did teach her pai gow poker. We had around an hour before her next meeting, and she won $50. When she got home she texted me a one page pai gow strategy page...... directly from the WOO site! Asked me if it is worth learning!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 3rd, 2016 at 9:44:09 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Flemings Steakhouse in Town Square..... Good food, but I think overpriced for what you get.

I agree completely. They did do a special in December that was actually incredible. An 8oz Prime filet and an 8oz lobster tail for $45. That is probably the best food deal I have seen in Vegas in quite a while.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
February 3rd, 2016 at 12:23:43 PM permalink
Hilarious trip report. Ta, ha, hee, hoo, wa, snaz, wuf, chang, tanda, whoop, etc.
The Wiz actually dinged a passing car? That, my friend is priceless....
I am still laughing, having a hard time breathing, what's the number, 911?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 3rd, 2016 at 3:39:41 PM permalink

I think I like a whopper with extra mayo and extra onion better.

Mayo is the key ingredient for any
burger. There are regions of the
country, though, where putting mayo
on a burger is a sacrilege. They don't
even have mayo, just mustard and
ketchup.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 3rd, 2016 at 5:22:27 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Mayo is the key ingredient for any
burger. There are regions of the
country, though, where putting mayo
on a burger is a sacrilege. They don't
even have mayo, just mustard and
ketchup.

the abomination is 'ketchup only' on burger or dog ... I can accept ketchup + mustard, but not ketchup only.

and on a burger [not a dog], love some mayo too
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wulfgar1224
Wulfgar1224
  • Threads: 8
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:09:39 PM permalink
I see that you are a tiles player. Did you play exclusively at the Wynn? I've always wanted to try tiles there but their table limits were around $100. Were the limits the same when you were there assuming that is where you played? I know there are lower limit tables along the strip. I was just curious about Wynn.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:25:00 PM permalink

Just got back from 6 nights in Vegas. Saturday through Tuesday with GF at Encore, Tuesday through Friday solo at Rio. Attended medical conference (mostly paid for by work) Tuesday through Friday. Encore part.... didn't like it as much as Wynn. felt every time I went downstairs i wanted to go to the Wynn, especially since I play tiles which is only on the Wynn side. Had lunch at "Jardin" at Encore, ridiculously overpriced foofy attractive restaurant. Small portions which was good because I was going to Wynn buffet that night. I liked the Wynn buffet, but it is only slightly better to me than other buffets (Rio, Palms, Harrah's, etc) My entire gambling comps was a twosome pass to the buffet. The room was very nice, but like the Rio, calling it a suite to me is misleading. GF loved the spa. She had a 50 minute massage and after tip was over $200. To me that is crazy. In Buffalo the same is around $80. With my discount offers, I ended up paying around $200 per night, probably a little less.

Did 9 holes of par 3 golf with the Wiz. You may not believe this, but on his first shot, a 100 yard hole, MIke teed up with his 9 iron, and had a HOLE IN....

a car door. He pulled it so far left it hit a road and bounced up and hit a moving car. After multiple bets, I ended up winning $1 from him, mostly on the strength of me nailing a 45 foot putt. Mike graciously treated me and GF for lunch at the Santa Fe Station. I took a few more dollars from him when I correctly guessed that the waiter would know the names of the two starting super bowl quarterbacks.

At the Rio I was comped except Resort fees, and my previous play entitled me to TEN DOLLARS in match play. I did earn the 50 tier credits required to get the free buffet. Total bill for the 3 nights was around $100. My pai gow tiles and cards gambling was uneventful. I did also play Asia poker a few times at the Gold Coast. Already mentioned somewhere else, but my get away day I was playing with a string of dealers that were so bad I was playing at a huge advantage. As sometimes happens, even with the huge advantage, I only broke even as variance was not going my way. I wish I was able to take pictures of the dealer's mis sets, but I think that would have been frowned upon. They did comp me lunch at their Noodle Bar, which I think is a great lunch special, even if you have to pay for it.

Table 10 in Palazzo / Venetian I enjoyed their multi course dinner. Don't regret going there but not champing at the bit to return.
Makino My favorite place to eat. I'm a sushi pig. I can eat a pound of their seaweed salad alone....
Rio buffet Same as always. Totally acceptable. Interestingly they have merged the Seafood Buffet with the regular buffet, but you need a special wristband to get access to the 'good stuff', which I think is an extra $15.
In N Out Burger I thought it was just OK. I think I like a whopper with extra mayo and extra onion better.

Coincidence.... In the Encore I see people (the majority attractive young women) wearing nametags, and I ask what brings them all to Vegas. They are there for a company meeting, and it happens the company is one that sells stuff to anesthesiologists! I know the East Coast bigwig for the company, and text her and find out she is there. She and GF and I went out in October and December at last two anesthesia conferences. She asks me for a favor.... to dissuade her from buying a beautiful purse at the Encore. She says it's a Chanel. I ask her how much... She says guess... $1500? Higher! $2200 Higher! I give up! $3700... Essentially $4000 after tax!!!! I looked at the purse/bag (It was bigger than a regular purse). My brain said it should be $100 at TJ Maxx. Help me BBB! Is there a purse worth $4k?

At 3700 I'm getting a discount compared to the ones most of the girls I date end up wanting!!!!!
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 3rd, 2016 at 7:35:47 PM permalink

a car door. He pulled it so far left it hit a road and bounced up and hit a moving car.

Yep, that ball went right into Rampart Boulevard, bounced on the north bound side, bounced into the south bound side and hit a car, I think on the grill or bounced up under it and hit the bottom. My follow-up "doesn't count" shot was a beauty though.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 3rd, 2016 at 8:20:17 PM permalink

Just got back from 6 nights in Vegas. ...

....one that sells stuff to anesthesiologists! I know the East Coast bigwig for the company, and text her and find out she is there. She and GF and I went out in October and December at last two anesthesia conferences. She asks me for a favor.... to dissuade her from buying a beautiful purse at the Encore. She says it's a Chanel. I ask her how much... She says guess... $1500? Higher! $2200 Higher! I give up! $3700... Essentially $4000 after tax!!!! I looked at the purse/bag (It was bigger than a regular purse). My brain said it should be $100 at TJ Maxx. Help me BBB! Is there a purse worth $4k?

Sounds like a good adventure with very bad comps, SOOPOO! Shameful.

As to the purse, nonononono, there is no purse worth 4K to me. I don't mind going to a high-end consignment shop and getting a 4K purse for 400, but short of that...

However, there are a lot of women for whom there's a lifestyle/status/self-worth statement (and I'm not dissing them to say this, it's just what's important to them). So, where guys buy a 100K sports car, 80K bass boat, 50K guitar, some women buy 4K designer bags, 10K dresses, 1M Harry Winston wreaths. I wouldn't know a Chanel bag from a feed bag, myself, but the other women who care about that stuff (and, the point, who have the money to buy that stuff) will know exactly what she has and what she paid for it at 20 paces. Or, sometimes, what her man spent on her. Not a knock-off. Not last year's bag from the outlet store. The real thing. That's the payoff.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 5th, 2016 at 12:26:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wulfgar1224

I see that you are a tiles player. Did you play exclusively at the Wynn? I've always wanted to try tiles there but their table limits were around $100. Were the limits the same when you were there assuming that is where you played? I know there are lower limit tables along the strip. I was just curious about Wynn.

Funny you should ask! To give details, I arrived on a Saturday and went down to play tiles. Cashed in $500 expecting to green chip it... Saw it was $100 and said, "WTF", and played anyway. Lost about $400 in an hour, after winning the first two hands..... The off hours the table was $25, the 'mid' hours it was $50. The second half of my trip I played in my comfort level at the Rio, probably averaging $35 a hand.
Aussie
Aussie
  • Threads: 12
February 5th, 2016 at 5:28:52 PM permalink
How many tiles tables do they have at the Wynn these days? When I stayed at Encore about 5yrs ago was 1 at Wynn & 1 at Encore both at the $25 level.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 5th, 2016 at 9:22:11 PM permalink
Well, between what SOOPOO and Aussie are saying, I guess that illustrates as well as anything the change the Wynn made in their desired client base (remember when they changed the craps tables minimums and odds a few months ago?)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 6th, 2016 at 3:55:54 AM permalink
Quote: Aussie

How many tiles tables do they have at the Wynn these days? When I stayed at Encore about 5yrs ago was 1 at Wynn & 1 at Encore both at the $25 level.

No tiles at Encore. One table at Wynn
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 6th, 2016 at 11:40:49 AM permalink
Quote: Wizardofnothing

At 3700 I'm getting a discount compared to the ones most of the girls I date end up wanting!!!!!

Can you post a picture of the girl? (Teasing, sort of...) The friend ended up buying it when she got home to Boston. Her local store didn't have the color she wanted, so she called the Vegas store and they shipped it to her (laugh, laugh) free of charge.

I needed time to recuperate after I spent around $1k on a pair of shoes my first trip to Vegas with GF. $4k would have done me in!
WOVShepherdDon
WOVShepherdDon
  • Threads: 20
February 12th, 2016 at 8:26:28 AM permalink
It's been quite a while since we've been to Las Vegas. Used to be - when we were working - that every long weekend at work we'd find a way to fly out there and wear ourselves out. Great times.

Then we got old.

Quit flying. We now drive everywhere. And, as a result, have been to Las Vegas maybe twice in more recent years. Tried to mostly see the sights when there but it got all jumbled up with drinking and eating and gambling so can't actually remember what we've seen and what we haven't.

Would really like to make another trip back - maybe next year.

Don
  • Jump to: