TerribleTom
TerribleTom
  • Threads: 8
July 24th, 2014 at 6:44:13 PM permalink
Just got home. Had a great trip but dang was it hot - especially for some folks from the Oregon Coast where it was a pleasant 64 degrees when we got off the plane in Portland and even cooler than that by the time we got home.

Drew a Royal Flush on Tuesday after lunch:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/big-wins/18955-drew-a-royal

Later that night we went to dinner at Margaritaville - the craps table there abused me for the second trip in a row. I do not think I'll play craps there again. Shooting from the Don't, I rolled a 4-point Fire Bet (nobody was on it) and I did not see a single seven-out while I was there. In ~20 minutes I lost $120 without ever winning a single wager.

Then the High Roller. Pretty cool views at night, sunset would be ideal but the way the queue works it would be tough to time it perfectly. I don't think I'd do it again, but with the Groupon deal I'm glad we did it this time. Basically, for the price of two daytime tix we got any time passes with a 2-for-1 souvenir drink and 15% off at the gift shop (wife bought a Christmas ornament).

Back to the Excalibur and the wife was tuckered out - she went to bed around 12:30 and I went to the craps table. By 2:30am had turned $100 into $720. Tipped the crew $20 and went to bed up $600.

The hotel - aside from all of the kids, the Excalibur was a pleasant surprise. The pool was nice, the room very good (20th anniversary coming up in September got us a slight upgrade), the housekeeping service excellent, and the gambling was certainly good to me. I am still utterly baffled by the number of folks that bring small kids to Vegas. I saw so many kids that looked like they were having a terrible time. Obviously sore feet, sunburns, and widespread general discontent seemed to rule the day. Their parents should be ashamed of themselves.

I'll post a separate thread about this one: at the Sherwood Bar in the Excalibur they have a progressive jackpot on their video poker machines. The Royal Flush currently pays over $2600 vs. $1000 on a non-progressive. Even with the taxes, that has got to be an extremely +EV game until someone hits it. If you're local and into advantage play, the Sherwood Bar might be worth a visit.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 24th, 2014 at 8:07:51 PM permalink
I didn't realize you held the position of secretary of judging parents.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TerribleTom
TerribleTom
  • Threads: 8
July 24th, 2014 at 8:35:49 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I didn't realize you held the position of secretary of judging parents.

It's an honorary title, no official weight to it at all.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 24th, 2014 at 11:34:47 PM permalink
Quote: TerribleTom

It's an honorary title, no official weight to it at all.

I agree, I hate to see kids in Vegas, especially
really little kids. I remember the days when
you never saw them, when parents were
actually aware that Vegas is the last place you
want to bring whiny, fidgety unhappy and
bored to death kids. But those days are long
gone.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: