EnvyBonus
EnvyBonus
  • Threads: 6
November 25th, 2009 at 7:28:38 PM permalink
What is the determining factor in deciding which of the JB Strategies is labeled the Easy, which is Intermediate, and which is Advanced? For me personally the Advanced strategy is the easiest to memorize (and thus utilize), even with the exceptions. In fact it seems the 22 rules for Easy and 25 rules for Intermediate are almost equal in number to the "rules" for Advanced, even if you count each pair-splitting rule and each exception in Advanced as a separate rule. In reading the other thread on Pai Gow, I have concluded I am not as skilled as dk or JB. And in all seriousness, this is likely due to just not being as smart as dk, and obviously JB and Mr. Shackleford himself. Am I missing something about the Easy (or Intermediate) strategy?
dk
dk
  • Threads: 20
November 25th, 2009 at 10:55:15 PM permalink
Envy,

I agree that the Advanced Strategy is the easiest of the 3 to learn. Plus, it has the added benefit of having the lowest house edge. Personally, I modified it just a bit, so it was easier for me to memorize, and added a few additional exceptions using the Pai Gow calculator on the Wizard of Odds site. I carry it with me to the table though I have only pulled it once...

Amazingly, a couple months ago I ended up playing Pai Gow at the same table as the Wizard and JB (that's how I found out about Wizard of Vegas). When I discovered who they were (I vaguely recognized the Wizard from the pictures on his website), I pulled out the strategy sheet from my pocket and they autographed it. It was a pretty awesome experience for me because Wizard of Odds is the site that taught me everything I know about Pai Gow.
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
November 26th, 2009 at 6:54:19 AM permalink
Quote: EnvyBonus

What is the determining factor in deciding which of the JB Strategies is labeled the Easy, which is Intermediate, and which is Advanced? For me personally the Advanced strategy is the easiest to memorize (and thus utilize), even with the exceptions. In fact it seems the 22 rules for Easy and 25 rules for Intermediate are almost equal in number to the "rules" for Advanced, even if you count each pair-splitting rule and each exception in Advanced as a separate rule. In reading the other thread on Pai Gow, I have concluded I am not as skilled as dk or JB. And in all seriousness, this is likely due to just not being as smart as dk, and obviously JB and Mr. Shackleford himself. Am I missing something about the Easy (or Intermediate) strategy?

It boils down to how many exceptions there are. The Advanced Strategy was the first one I came up with, and has several exceptions.

The others came later. The goal was to present simple rules without exceptions, or rather, to have the exceptions worked into the strategy.
  • Jump to: