gambler
gambler
  • Threads: 112
January 8th, 2011 at 8:39:56 AM permalink
Let's suppose you make a come bet(s) and take full odds on it. The point is hit by the shooter. The dealer then asks you if your come bet(s) odds are working or off during the next come out roll(s).

Question: Does having your come bet(s) odds working or not working during the come out roll(s) make any difference in terms of expectation?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 8th, 2011 at 8:50:36 AM permalink
Although I am not certain, I think the published tables assume that the odds are always working. Dealers ask if you want your Come bet odds "off" on the come out since most are typically rooting for a seven to win the Pass line. In fact, most places assume your odds are not working on the come out.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
January 8th, 2011 at 8:58:42 AM permalink
The odds remain the same and long term it makes no difference to your how much you win/lose. Most people are 'off' on the come out so that if a 7 is rolled it is a winner on the passline and at least the odds are saved from the come bets. It saves more on the place bets since your whole bet is saved.

Another totally non rational reason that I can't help myself from thinking while I am having my bets not working on the come out is that I leave a window for the 7 to appear so that it can go away for another 50 rolls. he he
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 8th, 2011 at 9:11:56 AM permalink
The default seems to be that the odds on come bets are "off" and if you want them on you better say so and not wait to be asked. If you lay odds bets on the dark side, they are always working. My experience anyway.

I personally prefer the odds bets to be working but due to the noise don't like all the shouting to be heard.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 8th, 2011 at 10:20:35 AM permalink
My odds are always working and I tell the dealers that... and I often kick myself for having done it.
Yoyomama
Yoyomama
  • Threads: 47
January 8th, 2011 at 10:39:29 AM permalink
Quote: gambler

Let's suppose you make a come bet(s) and take full odds on it. The point is hit by the shooter. The dealer then asks you if your come bet(s) odds are working or off during the next come out roll(s).

Question: Does having your come bet(s) odds working or not working during the come out roll(s) make any difference in terms of expectation?

From the Wizardofodds.com:

"Turning the come odds off on a come out roll increases the combined house edge from 0.326% to 0.377% in a 5-times odds game, not counting returned odds bets as bets made. So if you want to maximize your return on resolved bets then keep those come odds turned on."
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 8th, 2011 at 10:55:16 AM permalink
Since the expectation of an odds bet is zero, the expectation of making such a bet (i.e., letting it work) and the expectation of not making such a bet (i.e., calling it "off") are exactly the same. In other words, it doesn't matter.

The Wiz's explanation, which differs from mine, presumes that you will be betting X total dollars during your session, and that if you don't put the odds money in action, then that X is going to be composed of Pass Line/Come bets to a slightly greater degree. This is true, but I don't know of ANY player who says, "I'm going to make $X worth of bets and then quit."
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 8th, 2011 at 11:09:09 AM permalink
Quote: gambler

To combine several prior answers, the EV of the odds bet is 0 whether it's working or not. Keeping them off during comeouts slightly increases your aggregate percentage expectation, but doesn't increase your dollar expectation at all. The EV of a $5 come bet is -7.07 cents regardless of the amount of your odds wager.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
January 8th, 2011 at 11:14:19 AM permalink
Quote: MathExtremist

To combine several prior answers, the EV of the odds bet is 0 whether it's working or not. Keeping them off during comeouts slightly increases your aggregate percentage expectation, but doesn't increase your dollar expectation at all. The EV of a $5 come bet is -7.07 cents regardless of the amount of your odds wager.

This is a quibble, but wouldn't keeping your odds bets off slightly DECREASE your aggregate percentage expectation? After all, keeping your odds off increases the proportion of your action that consists of Pass Line/Come bets.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
January 8th, 2011 at 11:21:01 AM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

This is a quibble, but wouldn't keeping your odds bets off slightly DECREASE your aggregate percentage expectation? After all, keeping your odds off increases the proportion of your action that consists of Pass Line/Come bets.

Sorry, I was looking at it from the standpoint of the house edge going up (increasing). The player's edge decreases, or becomes more negative. It's always confusing when you don't use numbers...
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
  • Jump to: