Thread Rating:

seattledice
seattledice
  • Threads: 18
June 25th, 2010 at 10:43:00 PM permalink
So there I was, playing the don'ts. I had my $5 bet on the DP and this guy walks up to table, stands next to me and puts his bet on the DP. The come out roll is a six. We both groan. I lay my customary $30 odds. He says, "Wow, you back that up with odds. That's crazy." His line bet was $400!

Oh, yeah, we won that time, but I'm pretty sure he gave it all back later.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 25th, 2010 at 11:32:58 PM permalink
I've had dealers remind me to lower my line bets and have most of my money on the odds bets. Thats one advantage of tipping, the dealers watch out for you.

You are doing the mathematically correct allocation and he is wagering his entire 400 on the line bet without taking odds just because its a six. Stupid.
seattledice
seattledice
  • Threads: 18
June 26th, 2010 at 12:01:56 AM permalink
I don't think he was bypassing the odds just because it was a six - that was just his style of play to put hundreds on the DP as a flat bet no matter what the point. I see that a lot. Some people just can't lay more money than they will win, and don't seem to understand the effect that the 8 ways to lose and 3 ways to win on come out will have on their results.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 26th, 2010 at 12:45:02 AM permalink
Yeah I run into this a lot, then on a 7/11 there's this large groan (on the come out). I find it amusing.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 26th, 2010 at 9:25:38 AM permalink
Quote: seattledice

I don't think he was bypassing the odds just because it was a six - that was just his style of play.

Yipes, that is even worse! If he were a good tipper, the dealers might educate him but he may just be beyond all hope.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
June 26th, 2010 at 9:52:39 AM permalink
Did anybody see the movie "The Bounty Hunter" with Jenifer Aniston and Gerard Butler? Terrible movie -- don't see it.

Anyway, much of the movie takes place in Atlantic City, and at one point Jennifer Aniston's character gives Gerard Butler's character $500 and bets him he can't turn it into $5,000 (or something like that). So Gerard Butler goes to the craps table in the Taj and puts the $500 on the pass line, hits four naturals in a row, then sets a point of four and craps out, losing everything.

The whole time I was thinking, why doesn't he bet the odds instead of putting it all on the pass? He would reach his win goal quicker and with less risk. This guy's character was supposed to be an "amazing gambler?"

Just another reason why the movie sucked.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 26th, 2010 at 10:14:40 AM permalink
Quote: teddys

The whole time I was thinking, why doesn't he bet the odds instead of putting it all on the pass? He would reach his win goal quicker and with less risk. This guy's character was supposed to be an "amazing gambler?"

Nareed's 4th Law of Hollywood: "When it comes to sports, science and gambling, Hollywood likes to boast how ignorant it is on these subjects." Corollary: Do not attempt to learn anything about sports, science and especially gambling from movies.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
  • Jump to: