teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
October 4th, 2010 at 6:59:41 PM permalink
Have you ever had an underdog you just KNEW was a stone-cold lock to win/cover? I can think of only one example: For me, it was the 2008 Ryder Cup in Valhalla. A lot of money was going to the European team because they had been dominant lately and looked better team-spirit wise and on paper. They were installed as favorites. (I think a lot of Euros bet the Ryder Cup because they like the idea of beating the Americans.) However, I simply KNEW that the Americans were going to win this one at home, especially when they put Kenny Perry and J.B. Holmes (Kentucky natives) on the team. Sure enough, they pulled it off. I happened to be in Vegas at the time but it was my first trip there, I wasn't really sure how to place a sports bet, and didn't see it offered at too many places. (I was only at the El Cortez and Stratosphere). I haven't had that premonition/feeling/what-have-you in any event since then.

(And don't say you picked the Giants over the Patriots in the Super Bowl ... :))
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 4th, 2010 at 7:36:13 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

(And don't say you picked the Giants over the Patriots in the Super Bowl ... :))

Everyone picked the Giants on that game.... after David Tyree's catch ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
October 4th, 2010 at 7:54:57 PM permalink
This was a while ago, but the Philistine sports books had Goliath as an 8-1 favorite. However, I'd seen this kid David, and I knew he had zing in his sling. I got 10-1 on David before the betting closed, and you know what happened. I made a lot of shekels that day.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: