Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 4116
June 15th, 2017 at 8:32:35 AM permalink
As a fighter, I'd like to weigh in...

1) I'm not a big Connor fan, but understand like Mayweather he runs his mouth to get a following (good or bad) and to collect his paycheck.
2) A lot of people in this thread seem to be forgetting something... Connor has been training boxing for decades. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. You study ALL of the different martial arts separately and then usually have one class/training session that puts them all together. For example, I went to training last Saturday and I did Boxing class (ALL BOXING) and then did MMA class (mixture of everything). So Connor is NOT new to just raw/pure boxing. His focus has simply been utilizing his boxing in an MMA fight, which often times you set up take downs with punches, etc, etc. So really he needs time to adjust his thinking to pure boxing as it relates, and who knows how long that would take/etc.
3) I do not hold high hopes for Connor, not because it's MMA vs Boxing, but because it's Mayweather... Who is amazing at just simply not getting hit. Also, as shown in Connors previous fights I think Mayweathers gas tank (combined with his movement to make Connor miss a lot) will simply overwhelm Connor.
4) IF by some craziness Connor does manage to win it would be one of the largest lightening rods for MMA the community has ever seen. A MMA fighter beating the top boxer? Well then boxers would have to try to step in to the cage with MMA fighters at some point, and they would all promptly be embarassed. MMA is a much more full formed fight (obviously) and boxing is unrealistic as far as "raw fighting" goes. If I got in a street fight with Mayweather... If I got him to the GROUND, I would probably beat his ass. That's a big if... but you realize I wouldn't be trading punches with him at all, but more less just diving at his legs and even pulling guard just to get him on the ground.

5) A sneaky sneaky 5... Connor's hands have gotten faster and more accurate with every single one of his last few fights. I do think he'll look pretty fast/crisp as a boxer and might give Mayweather a little more than he expected, though yes, I still expect Connor to lose. If Connor could stay crisp for all the rounds and get his gas tank up, I think it would if nothing else be a good fight. His hands aren't what worry me the most, it's his gas tank.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 519
June 15th, 2017 at 9:58:16 AM permalink
A complete joke and cash grab. Anyone in boxing agrees it would take 5 years of serious traning in boxing and bouts in the boxing ring to be able to even see if he had a chance to get the shot. A good analogy is an MLB player trying to go play in the NFL for the weekend. Look at MJ when he left the NBA for MLB. He wasn't playing in the show. Two different sports completely. I liked the UFC the first year or so when it was no gloves and no weight classes... now that was fun to watch. Anyways... the only chance for McGregor is that Mayweather takes a dive which would be more possible a hundred years ago but since Floyd will make so much money off of this it is unlikely the case. People can cross train other sports but McGregor is no Bo Jackson.... McGregor don't know Didley when it comes to Boxing!
Romes
Romes
Joined: Jul 22, 2014
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 4116
June 15th, 2017 at 10:02:24 AM permalink
Quote: monet0412

A complete joke and cash grab. Anyone in boxing agrees it would take 5 years of serious traning in boxing and bouts in the boxing ring to be able to even see if he had a chance to get the shot.

Connor has been training boxing for decades... Literally boxing training where they use boxing gloves, no take downs, etc, etc... Pure boxing.

Quote: monet0412

A good analogy is an MLB player trying to go play in the NFL for the weekend.

Not trying to be rude, just honest, that's a pretty poor comparison. MMA encompases Boxing. Thus that would be like an MLB pitcher going to some other sport to pitch the same but with some other rules... It's still pitching.

Quote: monet0412

..I liked the UFC the first year or so when it was no gloves and no weight classes... now that was fun to watch.

And Tank Abbot tried to win a fight by throwing someone out of the octagon... Only guy ever to try ;-).

Quote: monet0412

Anyways... the only chance for McGregor is that Mayweather takes a dive which would be more possible a hundred years ago but since Floyd will make so much money off of this it is unlikely the case. People can cross train other sports but McGregor is no Bo Jackson.... McGregor don't know Didley when it comes to Boxing!

I kind of more/less agree with this, though as stated in my last post, I think people are going to underestimate McGregor. I don't doubt his boxing/hands AS much (yes I think Mayweather is better). Say Mayweather is 10/10 pure hands/striking... People think McGregor is 2/10 for some reason, when he's been boxing for decades and is 8/10. I think his big weakness (according to his last few fights) will be his gas tank.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
Joined: May 3, 2016
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 488
June 15th, 2017 at 10:07:26 AM permalink
The fix is in, bet the house on McGregor. You heard it here first
Wong Halves Full Indices ------------ LoneWoLF >
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 519
June 15th, 2017 at 10:12:34 AM permalink
You give way too much credit for some training in boxing compared to professional bouts in boxing only with completely different gloves and rules but that's ok, it's all opinions. It seems the odds makers agree with you only giving 7-1 odds for this dog which is a complete joke. I got Holyfield at 25-1 against Tyson and that was a professional boxer. The book is so scared these days to lay long odds on anything after the Twins and Braves were given 300-1 odds years ago. The analogy isn't bad and it's been given by top trainers in boxing. The two sports aren't even close to one another even though they have similarities.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1411
June 15th, 2017 at 10:14:45 AM permalink
Quote: ZenKinG

The fix is in, bet the house on McGregor. You heard it here first



Hahahahaha what a surprise ZK thinks that something is rigged. Who would ever think that would happen 😂😂😂
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. Amarillo Slim Preston
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 965
Thanks for this post from:
monet0412RogerKint
June 15th, 2017 at 10:27:36 AM permalink
You're wrong on all counts Romes.

Sure, connor practices boxing. He also yhrows punches at a professional level against second tier athletes. That's still miles away from being a professional boxer, never mind an elite, never mind an all time great. The 20th best guy in the division would school connor.

Floyd would obliterate you in a street fight. I mean, it's a street fight so i guess you could initiate it by smashing a glass in his face. But other than that... come on.

Sports is a lot about levels. Guy looks like a super hero in high school. Best player coach has ever seen. Then he goes do Division 1 and is just a guy. But the very best player on that team goes to the nfl. Where he is just a guy. And out of all those bests of bests of bests you have someone at the tom brady level.

In two months or so, Brady and the Patriots take on Eastern Kentucky State Tech A&M.
monet0412
monet0412
Joined: Feb 18, 2016
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 519
June 15th, 2017 at 10:46:30 AM permalink
Agree with Rigondeaux... also in fairness I think ZK was making a joke and not being serious which is refreshing. Let's not forget that the best boxers and that's the best boxers in the world couldn't beat Mayweather but some MMA guy has a chance with 10 oz gloves, 12 rounds of boxing with Queensbury rules?! I understand that the hype is needed so people can justify buying this pay per view cash grab event.
RogerKint
RogerKint
Joined: Dec 5, 2011
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1190
June 15th, 2017 at 10:54:09 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux



Floyd would obliterate you in a street fight. I mean, it's a street fight so i guess you could initiate it by smashing a glass in his face. But other than that... come on.



The last thing he'd remember is attempting to swing the glass.

I'd be interested in lines on whether this fight will go the distance. On the surface, the fight looks like it should go the distance because of Mayweathers age and larger gloves than McGregor is used to being hit with. However, there's some extra dimensions to this fight that may cause it to end early. Think Mayweather v Ortiz. DQ is a higher than normal possibility in this fight for many reasons.
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 913
June 15th, 2017 at 10:55:24 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

Connor has been training boxing for decades... Literally boxing training where they use boxing gloves, no take downs, etc, etc... Pure boxing.



Every player in the NFL has trained their sprinting their entire life. What chance would Odell Beckham have against Usain Bolt in a 100 meter race?

Quote: Romes

Say Mayweather is 10/10 pure hands/striking... People think McGregor is 2/10 for some reason, when he's been boxing for decades and is 8/10. I think his big weakness (according to his last few fights) will be his gas tank.



I'm sure we could say the Alabama football team is 8/10. What would have happened if they played the New England Patriots last year?

-----

The only thing this fight has going for is that 2% chance McGregor does win, it will be one of the most jaw-dropping moments in sports history. But there's a 98% it doesn't happen.

  • Jump to: