Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
January 4th, 2017 at 10:47:37 AM permalink
Greetings!

The time has once again arrived for another WoV Playoff Picks Game!

It is actually very difficult to create a set of Rules for this game because I wish for it to give enough of an advantage to players who pick well early going into the Super Bowl, but I also don't want people to have virtually no chance to win after one or two weeks.

Anyway, I think I have found a balance for this, so the Rules are as follows:

How to Play:

1.) Anyone is welcome to play, but only participants in the 2016 WoV Picks Game, or in the 2016 Picks Game Discussion Thread will receive PM reminders on Wednesday night (tonight) to make their Picks. After the Wild Card weekend, all Members who participated in Wild Card weekend will receive reminders. To play, simply PM your Picks to me before the deadline.

2.) The winner shall receive a prize of $125.

3.) I will be playing and defending the $125.

4.) PlayYourCardsRight, who won the, 'You Suck,' prize in this year's WoV Picks game has kindly decided to donate $25 to this game and create a new, 'You Suck,' prize for this game.

5.) I am eligible to win the, 'You Suck,' prize. PlayYourCardsRight is defending the, 'You Suck,' prize and is eligible to win the top prize.

6.) This prize has no entry fee. Side bets are permitted, of course, but I will in no way be Administrating or acting as an intermediary for any side bets.

Making Picks:

1.) The Lines for each week will be posted Wednesday Evening before the weekend of the games being played. For each game, there shall be a Point Spread and an Over/Under, every player MUST make picks for the Point Spreads and Over/Unders of every game, there are no Confidence Picks.

2.) The winner will be determined by whoever scores the most points, how points are scored is as follows:

Wild Card + Divisional Playoffs: 1 Point for Every Correct Pick (8 Points Per Week)

Conference Championships: 2 Points for Every Correct Pick (8 Possible Points)

Super Bowl: 4 Points for Every Correct Pick (8 Points Possible)

Furthermore, for the Super Bowl, there will be ten questions based on Props that will be worth one point each. Thus, a perfect score will be 42 Points.

3.) Tie-Breaker

-When making your first set of Picks, you must send me your prediction for the Super Bowl Match-Up and final score. In the event that either or both teams do not make it to the Super Bowl, if that is the case for both players, it will come down to how many total points those teams scored in the playoffs.

-If there is a tie for the, 'You Suck,' prize, then it will be adjudicated by sucking the worst, which means having your two Super Bowl selections score the fewest total points in the Playoffs.

Making Picks

1.) Lines will be posted each Wednesday before the games, Picks must be made BEFORE 10:00a.m. EST on the Saturday of the games. Reminders will be sent when the Lines are posted.

2.) For the final two weeks of the Playoffs, games are only played on Sunday. Therefore, Picks will be due by 10:00a.m. EST on that Sunday.

2.) Please Format your Picks the following way:

A.) No Line Breaks

B.) For Spread picks, simply put the team nickname and the spread. (Ex: Bengals +5)

C.) For Over/Unders, simply put the team nickname for EITHER team, and the Over or Under amount. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25)

So, a full set of picks might appear:

Patriots -15
Patriots OVER 52
Jaguars +12
Jaguars UNDER 42

Except the Jags are obviously not in the Playoffs, and NE will likely not be favored by quite that much.

Hopefully everyone has fun with this game, good luck to all!
Vultures can't be choosers.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 64
January 5th, 2017 at 1:44:19 PM permalink
were lines posted somewhere and i missed them?
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 117
Thanks for this post from:
AyecarumbaMission146
January 5th, 2017 at 1:58:19 PM permalink
I'll add 75 more to the prize pool if we get 25 people
NOW HIRING!!!! REQUEST INFO VIA PM
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 44
January 5th, 2017 at 2:00:06 PM permalink
Where are the lines? I must have missed that as well.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
January 5th, 2017 at 2:41:18 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Where are the lines? I must have missed that as well.

I'm on it right now.
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
January 5th, 2017 at 2:50:03 PM permalink
The Wildcard Lines are as follows:

Raiders +3.5 @ Texans -3.5 O/U 36.5
Lions +8 @ Seahawks -8 O/U 43.5
Dolphins +10 @ Steelers -10 O/U 46
Giants +4.5 @ Packers -4.5 O/U 44.5

Please remember to make your Super Bowl predictions at this time consisting of the teams and the final score.

The Picks are due by 10:00a.m. EST on Saturday 1/7/17.

The Lines will also be included in the PM reminders, which are going out now, because there are so few Lines.

Lots of early movement in the Lines, it'll be interesting to see if there is any more. Particularly interesting is the Raiders/Texans which opened at +/- 2.5 and has already moved to and past the three point spread.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 44
January 5th, 2017 at 2:53:16 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

The Wildcard Lines are as follows:

Raiders +3.5 @ Texans -3.5 O/U 36.5
Lions +8 @ Seahawks -8 O/U 43.5
Dolphins +10 @ Steelers -10 O/U 46
Giants +4.5 @ Packers -4.5 O/U 44.5

Please remember to make your Super Bowl predictions at this time consisting of the teams and the final score.

The Picks are due by 10:00a.m. EST on Saturday 1/7/17.

The Lines will also be included in the PM reminders, which are going out now, because there are so few Lines.

Lots of early movement in the Lines, it'll be interesting to see if there is any more. Particularly interesting is the Raiders/Texans which opened at +/- 2.5 and has already moved to and past the three point spread.

Thanks Mission! This will be fun. PM to follow.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
January 5th, 2017 at 3:45:05 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Thanks Mission! This will be fun. PM to follow.

Good luck, you're welcome, and I hope you have a great time! It's not a huge amount of money, so more than anything, I played around with different rule sets for the Playoff Picks Game to try to keep as many people in it as long as possible. Fortunately, I finally found a formula last year that seems to work.

TO ALL: PM Reminders have now been sent to anyone who played in the 2016 WoV Picks Game, or posted in the Discussion Thread for same. Because this game is only a few weeks long (and the PM reminders will contain the actual Lines) there is no reason for a separate Official Thread, so this thread is both Official and for Discussion.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 271
January 6th, 2017 at 2:48:44 AM permalink
did I miss any rules for skipped weeks?

we don't make a prediction for the winner of the super bowl, only the 2 teams, right?
"No, I will weep no more. In such a night To shut me out! ... O, that way madness lies; let me shun that; No more of that" - King Lear deciding he has to accept bad Variance
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 204
January 6th, 2017 at 8:57:50 AM permalink
You will provide the Superbowl teams and their scores, by default predicting a winner.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

• Jump to: