WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
December 27th, 2016 at 8:36:35 PM permalink
Oh yes, it is bowl game season! I would like to know if anyone here thinks that some games may be fixed by colleges kids looking to get a nice pay day before they go off into the real world? Just because you dont get caught, it doesnt mean it never happened! I noticed a few suspicious games this year. In particular, Houston last week in their bowl game. That QB was blatant !
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
December 28th, 2016 at 6:53:22 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

Oh yes, it is bowl game season! I would like to know if anyone here thinks that some games may be fixed by colleges kids looking to get a nice pay day before they go off into the real world? Just because you dont get caught, it doesnt mean it never happened! I noticed a few suspicious games this year. In particular, Houston last week in their bowl game. That QB was blatant !

I want to say no, but history has shown that there have been games fixed. I didnt see that game, can you give details? Spread? Who won? What play made you suspicious?
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
December 28th, 2016 at 7:08:26 AM permalink
Houston played SD State on Dec 17. The line was Houston minus 4.5. Houston never had a chance. They lost 34-10. Take a look at the box score or find a tape of the game... you will see the QB from Houston throw many ridiculous interceptions and run the offense like he never played the game before. He is soooo much better than that as I watched him in many previous games.

I received calls from friends who watched the game and each one said the same thing to me even before I brought up my thoughts on the game. Obviously no proof... but does that mean it didnt happen?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
Zourah
December 28th, 2016 at 8:16:18 AM permalink

Houston played SD State on Dec 17. The line was Houston minus 4.5. Houston never had a chance. They lost 34-10. Take a look at the box score or find a tape of the game... you will see the QB from Houston throw many ridiculous interceptions and run the offense like he never played the game before. He is soooo much better than that as I watched him in many previous games.

I received calls from friends who watched the game and each one said the same thing to me even before I brought up my thoughts on the game. Obviously no proof... but does that mean it didnt happen?

Well, he is an NFL prospect so it would be pretty stupid, especially to do it in a game that is widely watched when he could have just made sure an unimportant game where they were huge favorites went under.

People always think fixes are done in the most obvious fashion possible.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
December 28th, 2016 at 8:36:58 AM permalink
I did not bet Houston, I actually had the under. So I was not biased in any way.

We will never know... Just because people dont get caught doing things, it doesn't mean it never happened. Houston was averaging 35 pts per game, yet they only manage to score 10. 4 picks and horrible play calling on offense. They put on a pretty good show in the first quarter, but when halftime hit and realization of what was at stake sunk in, boy was Ward a different player..hmm

He is a link to the game. You decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMki_hZuMiE

The falling plays are interesting at markers:
6;40
1;02;30
1;16;10
1;24;30
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
December 28th, 2016 at 8:45:59 AM permalink

I did not bet Houston, I actually had the under. So I was not biased in any way.

We will never know... Just because people dont get caught doing things, it doesn't mean it never happened. Houston was averaging 35 pts per game, yet they only manage to score 10. 4 picks and horrible play calling on offense. They put on a pretty good show in the first quarter, but when halftime hit and realization of what was at stake sunk in, boy was Ward a different player..hmm

He is a link to the game. You decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMki_hZuMiE

The falling plays are interesting at markers:
6;40
1;02;30
1;16;10
1;24;30

Disregard the 6;40.... that was a typo
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
December 28th, 2016 at 9:17:38 AM permalink
No. No fixing.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 28th, 2016 at 9:27:37 AM permalink
Perhaps the QB was suffering from Stripitis. He wouldn't be the first athlete to leave his A game on the strip.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 28th, 2016 at 9:34:21 AM permalink

I always thought there was something suspicious and I think that is why they cancelled the Bud Bowl.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
December 28th, 2016 at 9:41:34 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I always thought there was something suspicious and I think that is why they cancelled the Bud Bowl.

No - they cancelled the Bud Bowl because of sponsor commitments. Specifically, the sponsor didn't want to commit to two second-half commercials if the game might be a blowout. IIRC, the last actual Bud Bowl game was played in a single first-quarter commercial. (The next year involved some sort of contest - since beer-sponsored contests are illegal in California, I don't know too much about it, but I think it involved collecting game pieces with particular offensive plays on them, and the "winning" play was announced during the commercial.)
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
December 28th, 2016 at 1:41:30 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Perhaps the QB was suffering from Stripitis. He wouldn't be the first athlete to leave his A game on the strip.

An excellent possibility. Also, there is often a great disparity in motivation between two bowl teams. Weren't Houston on the fringes of the playoff picture at one point? And here they are playing SDSU. But this is SDSU's chance to prove they are for real, against a well known team.

Maybe he is injured.

Maybe his GF dumped him. Happened to Pau Gasol a few years ago and he was terrible in the playoffs.

Maybe he found out his mom had cancer.

Maybe it was just one of his worst games. Any one posting here must understand that some days, you just guess wrong every time.

There are an unlimited number of possibilities, most of which make more sense than an NFL prospect potentially costing himself millions and effing over all his coaches and teammates to make a moderate score.

Why lose by 24?

Why not pull this in a less important, less closely watched game earlier in the season?
Zourah
Zourah
  • Threads: 4
December 28th, 2016 at 2:48:44 PM permalink
I think the primary reason these teams do well or poorly in bold is all about the motivation or lack there of which exists - SDSU is not a joke team and the game was in Vegas so certainly some of the players may not have put their best foot forward.

My picks have not been that great this year but I really like Kansas State +3.5 tonight for that very reason I think they will be far more motivated.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 232
December 28th, 2016 at 3:20:57 PM permalink
In the book, "Neon Wilderness" by Nelson Algren; who is one of America's most underrated writers; in one of the stories a landlady asks her tenant where he's going when she sees him walking down the street. He tells her that he is going to a boxing match to make a bet.

She says, "Boxing. Isn't that crooked?"

He replies, "Everything's crooked."
Please don't feed the trolls
  • Jump to: