Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 62
August 23rd, 2016 at 7:44:34 PM permalink
Mission your 2nd post has the info about percentage paid. That is not correct, right?
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
  • Threads: 99
August 23rd, 2016 at 7:47:13 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Mission your 2nd post has the info about percentage paid. That is not correct, right?

Everyone seems to like the $20 thing, so we will no longer use the percentages. WoN said his donation to the contest is conditional upon there being at least twenty entries aside from the two of us, however, if we do not get twenty additional entries, we will go ahead and do the $20 since everyone seems to like it. If that happens, I will add $100 for first place, $75 for, 'Most Average,' and $75 for, 'You suck.'
Vultures can't be choosers.
10DollarBri
10DollarBri
  • Threads: 2
August 28th, 2016 at 2:04:31 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Absolutely, PM's with payment arrangements will go out tomorrow.

I haven't received a PM. How do I pay?
I know nothing!
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
August 29th, 2016 at 10:03:03 AM permalink
I need payment info as well.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 179
August 29th, 2016 at 6:34:48 PM permalink
Just curious, how many entries so far ?
The slyest rhymes, the sharpest suits; In miracles made real; Like a bird in flight on a hot sweet night; You know you're right just to hold her tight; He soothes it right, makes it out of sight; And every thing's good in the world tonight. Ladies and Gentlemen, he knows the ABC's of gaming inside and out and upside down, so please put your hands together for the Wizard of Vegas !
Samhain
Samhain
  • Threads: 6
August 29th, 2016 at 6:46:46 PM permalink
Count me in for 1 entry. Prefer the new rules
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 30th, 2016 at 7:29:44 AM permalink
Greetings!

This is an update to reflect the state of the contest as of this Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 as of 11:49 EST:

1.) I have now sent PM's to twenty individuals with respect to payment arrangements. However, one of those PM's was to WizardofNothing and another one was to Paradigm, who suggested he might not play this year.

Therefore, with respect to WizardofNothing's donation to the contest, we are currently projecting eighteen individuals (besides ourselves) playing, which is insufficient for him to make the donation.

HOWEVER:

2.) I have not yet sent PM's to Members who have been here for less than a year and that have ten or more posts. While I will do that either today or tomorrow, that method of recruiting, historically, has yielded roughly one player for every fifty PM's sent, so strictly speaking, I am not counting on getting any players that way.

ALTHOUGH:

If you know anyone who would be interested in this game, or if there is anyone you would like to PM, feel free. Even if it is a friend or family member, simply have them sign up for the site. Since the money is being paid in advance for the entries, there are no questions of honesty/dishonesty/welching to worry about because no-pays will simply have no entry.

FINALLY

When the payments for entries start coming in, I will create an OFFICIAL THREAD with an updated list of who has paid. The OFFICIAL THREAD will also contain another copy of the rules and well as Lines and Standings. I will be the only poster in the OFFICIAL THREAD. This thread, when all of that happens, shall be labeled the, "Discussion thread."
Last edited by: Mission146 on Aug 30, 2016
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
August 30th, 2016 at 9:52:29 AM permalink
Greetings!

The Rules have been updated in the OP of this thread, those of you who have played the game before and understand the changes to the payout structure should already understand the Rules. However, sometimes I do not always articulate things as clearly as I would like to, so please take just a moment to go over the Rules and ask questions if anything looks confusing.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 179
August 31st, 2016 at 3:15:50 PM permalink
I'm in !
The slyest rhymes, the sharpest suits; In miracles made real; Like a bird in flight on a hot sweet night; You know you're right just to hold her tight; He soothes it right, makes it out of sight; And every thing's good in the world tonight. Ladies and Gentlemen, he knows the ABC's of gaming inside and out and upside down, so please put your hands together for the Wizard of Vegas !
Mission146
Administrator
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 6:01:50 PM permalink
Greetings!

Here is the current status of the game:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/26768-2016-wov-nfl-picks-game-official-thread/#post550776

We have twenty individuals (other than WoN and myself) who have indicated that they will purchase at least one entry. However, at this point, we only have eight participants who have made official payment arrangements and one participant whose payment has been received.

If you would like, it would be advisable for everyone to see if they have any friends or family members interested in the game. Once again, WoN has donated $50 (I already have it) to this contest, but an additional $200 donation is based on there being no fewer than twenty unique players besides ourselves. As you can see, assuming everything is equal, that represents added EV of $10 per participant at twenty participants and goes slightly down as more participants get added.

Either way, the difference between 19 and 20 participants, in terms of added EV, is essentially half of the cost of entering the game in the first place. Again, if we assume that people have an equal chance of winning any prize and only have one entry each:

$250 + $250 = $500 in Donated Prize Pool

In other words, twenty-five people would each pay $20 for an entry, but the cumulative entry fees are matched at that point. Twenty-six participants or more would result in donations being less than a dollar-for-dollar match, but it's still a lot relative to the cumulative cost of entries.

If every participant were equally skilled, then regardless of the number of participants, the EV is 100% on an entry. Twenty-Three entrants (because WoN can win and I am defending my prizes) results in an EV of 200% per entry.

• Jump to: