Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 23rd, 2016 at 7:44:34 PM permalink
Mission your 2nd post has the info about percentage paid. That is not correct, right?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 23rd, 2016 at 7:47:13 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Mission your 2nd post has the info about percentage paid. That is not correct, right?

Everyone seems to like the $20 thing, so we will no longer use the percentages. WoN said his donation to the contest is conditional upon there being at least twenty entries aside from the two of us, however, if we do not get twenty additional entries, we will go ahead and do the $20 since everyone seems to like it. If that happens, I will add $100 for first place, $75 for, 'Most Average,' and $75 for, 'You suck.'
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
10DollarBri
10DollarBri
  • Threads: 2
August 28th, 2016 at 2:04:31 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Absolutely, PM's with payment arrangements will go out tomorrow.

I haven't received a PM. How do I pay?
I know nothing!
GenWyzgy
GenWyzgy
  • Threads: 3
August 29th, 2016 at 10:03:03 AM permalink
I need payment info as well.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
August 29th, 2016 at 6:34:48 PM permalink
Just curious, how many entries so far ?
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Samhain
Samhain
  • Threads: 6
August 29th, 2016 at 6:46:46 PM permalink
Count me in for 1 entry. Prefer the new rules
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2016 at 7:29:44 AM permalink
Greetings!

This is an update to reflect the state of the contest as of this Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 as of 11:49 EST:

1.) I have now sent PM's to twenty individuals with respect to payment arrangements. However, one of those PM's was to WizardofNothing and another one was to Paradigm, who suggested he might not play this year.

Therefore, with respect to WizardofNothing's donation to the contest, we are currently projecting eighteen individuals (besides ourselves) playing, which is insufficient for him to make the donation.

HOWEVER:

2.) I have not yet sent PM's to Members who have been here for less than a year and that have ten or more posts. While I will do that either today or tomorrow, that method of recruiting, historically, has yielded roughly one player for every fifty PM's sent, so strictly speaking, I am not counting on getting any players that way.

ALTHOUGH:

If you know anyone who would be interested in this game, or if there is anyone you would like to PM, feel free. Even if it is a friend or family member, simply have them sign up for the site. Since the money is being paid in advance for the entries, there are no questions of honesty/dishonesty/welching to worry about because no-pays will simply have no entry.

FINALLY

When the payments for entries start coming in, I will create an OFFICIAL THREAD with an updated list of who has paid. The OFFICIAL THREAD will also contain another copy of the rules and well as Lines and Standings. I will be the only poster in the OFFICIAL THREAD. This thread, when all of that happens, shall be labeled the, "Discussion thread."
Last edited by: Mission146 on Aug 30, 2016
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
August 30th, 2016 at 9:52:29 AM permalink
Greetings!

The Rules have been updated in the OP of this thread, those of you who have played the game before and understand the changes to the payout structure should already understand the Rules. However, sometimes I do not always articulate things as clearly as I would like to, so please take just a moment to go over the Rules and ask questions if anything looks confusing.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
August 31st, 2016 at 3:15:50 PM permalink
I'm in !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 6:01:50 PM permalink
Greetings!

Here is the current status of the game:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/26768-2016-wov-nfl-picks-game-official-thread/#post550776

We have twenty individuals (other than WoN and myself) who have indicated that they will purchase at least one entry. However, at this point, we only have eight participants who have made official payment arrangements and one participant whose payment has been received.

If you would like, it would be advisable for everyone to see if they have any friends or family members interested in the game. Once again, WoN has donated $50 (I already have it) to this contest, but an additional $200 donation is based on there being no fewer than twenty unique players besides ourselves. As you can see, assuming everything is equal, that represents added EV of $10 per participant at twenty participants and goes slightly down as more participants get added.

Either way, the difference between 19 and 20 participants, in terms of added EV, is essentially half of the cost of entering the game in the first place. Again, if we assume that people have an equal chance of winning any prize and only have one entry each:

$250 + $250 = $500 in Donated Prize Pool

In other words, twenty-five people would each pay $20 for an entry, but the cumulative entry fees are matched at that point. Twenty-six participants or more would result in donations being less than a dollar-for-dollar match, but it's still a lot relative to the cumulative cost of entries.

If every participant were equally skilled, then regardless of the number of participants, the EV is 100% on an entry. Twenty-Three entrants (because WoN can win and I am defending my prizes) results in an EV of 200% per entry.
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 6:36:51 PM permalink
Please refer to the Official Thread if you want to keep up with payment statuses, I will only make one post per day regarding that in this thread.
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
September 1st, 2016 at 6:37:48 PM permalink
I'm interested in playing and ready to pay. Please PM me with info on how to enter. Thanks!
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 8:48:04 PM permalink
Greetings!

I have finally completed the process of sending invites which resulted in five or six invites to Members who participated in last year's contest but have not committed to this year, as well as 99 Members who joined on or after August 1st, 2016 and have ten or more posts.

The PM's to Members in the latter category have generated one committed entrant and I expect one or two more to come from them. Let's make sure we get to twenty confirmed and paid entrants!

Scrolling through all the Members List took awhile, but I had Metallica, Bad Religion, Christina Perri, Garbage, Disturbed, Arlo Guthrie, Dire Straits and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra to keep me company, so it's all good!
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
September 1st, 2016 at 9:06:53 PM permalink
Mission, I will volunteer my services again, to be the unofficial scorekeeper during the season long contest.

Most weeks, immediately after Monday night's game, there shouldn't be any problem for me to post the weekly results and the overall results.

In fact on most Sundays I also might be able to post the standings for that week as they look after the Sunday night game.

You can review the results at your convenience.

It really won't be all that much work for me because I can use my grading calculator/spreadsheet again. All I have to do is modify it slightly, to reflect the slightly revised contest rules, enter the 2016 schedule, and update one or two things internally. (For example, there is no longer a team in St. Louis, with the Rams moving to LA.)

Obviously, if you can post everyone's picks in the same format as last year, that would be great, which it already looks like you will do.

I know you'd like everyone to post their picks in the proper format, in the example you gave... but let's face it... lots of people just forget or get careless. Fortunately, my spreadsheet recognizes the city name, the mascot name, the full name, and most abbreviations. So it's really not a problem if one or more players don't submit the game to you in the desired format. It has got to be more work for you to send them back and then wait to receive them again.
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 9:19:06 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Mission, I will volunteer my services again, to be the unofficial scorekeeper during the season long contest.

Most weeks, immediately after Monday night's game, there shouldn't be any problem for me to post the weekly results and the overall results.

In fact on most Sundays I also might be able to post the standings for that week as they look after the Sunday night game.

You can review the results at your convenience.

It really won't be all that much work for me because I can use my grading calculator/spreadsheet again. All I have to do is modify it slightly, to reflect the slightly revised contest rules, enter the 2016 schedule, and update one or two things internally. (For example, there is no longer a team in St. Louis, with the Rams moving to LA.)

Obviously, if you can post everyone's picks in the same format as last year, that would be great, which it already looks like you will do.

I know you'd like everyone to post their picks in the proper format, in the example you gave... but let's face it... lots of people just forget or get careless. Fortunately, my spreadsheet recognizes the city name, the mascot name, the full name, and most abbreviations. So it's really not a problem if one or more players don't submit the game to you in the desired format. It has got to be more work for you to send them back and then wait to receive them again.

Ed,

Once again, I would like to thank you for offering your services and programming skills to this competition, and I gladly accept. There are no words that can express how much faster both your program and assistance make this game to commission.

I intend, however, to enforce the Rules as pertains to the proper formatting of Picks beginning with Week 3. Between myself and WoN, so much in, 'Donations,' to the prize pool are being contributed to the contest, such that the contest is +EV for all entrants, that I think enforcing such is fully within my rights.

For the first two weeks, they do not need to send the Picks back, I will simply say, "Confirmed," and send them the Picks back in the correct format with a note to adhere to the correct format. While I trust your program, I occasionally do go through the results manually, as well, and having the Picks in the format that I like makes the process easier as I can memorize the results and scroll through quickly provided the formatting is correct.
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 1st, 2016 at 9:23:55 PM permalink

Ed,

Once again, I would like to thank you for offering your services and programming skills to this competition, and I gladly accept. There are no words that can express how much faster both your program and assistance make this game to commission.

I intend, however, to enforce the Rules as pertains to the proper formatting of Picks beginning with Week 3. Between myself and WoN, so much in, 'Donations,' to the prize pool are being contributed to the contest, such that the contest is +EV for all entrants, that I think enforcing such is fully within my rights.

For the first two weeks, they do not need to send the Picks back, I will simply say, "Confirmed," and send them the Picks back in the correct format with a note to adhere to the correct format. While I trust your program, I occasionally do go through the results manually, as well, and having the Picks in the format that I like makes the process easier as I can memorize the results and scroll through quickly provided the formatting is correct.

Acknowledged.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 1st, 2016 at 9:28:16 PM permalink
Yay!Ed is back!

Now, if somebody could scare up MidwestAP, get the handicap game going, we'd be back in business.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 1st, 2016 at 10:02:07 PM permalink
Testing something. Please ignore.
(Testing computer-generated coloring tags, bold font tag, and computer-generated summary table)

Adam (0-5)
Panthers (loss)
Packers (loss)
Chargers (loss)
Raiders (loss)
Bengals (loss)

Bill (5-0)
Broncos (win)
Jaguars (win)
Chiefs (win)
Saints (win)
Jets (win)

Charlie (2-3)
Panthers over (loss)
Packers over (loss)
Chargers under (win)
Raiders under (win)
Bengals over (loss)

David (3-2)
Broncos under (win)
Jaguars under (win)
Chiefs over (loss)
Saints over (loss)
Jets under (win)

Elliot (4-2)
Panthers (loss)
Jaguars - Confidence (win)
Chiefs (win)
Raiders over (loss)
Jets under (win)

Fred (1-4)
Rams (loss)
Steelers (loss)
Pats over (loss)
Giants under (win)
Bucs (loss)

George (2-3)
Bears (loss)
Texans over (loss)
Eagles under (win)
Cowboys (win)
Browns (loss)

Name Wins Losses %
Bill 5 0 100.00%
Elliot 4 2 66.67%
David 3 2 60.00%
Charlie 2 3 40.00%
George 2 3 40.00%
Fred 1 4 20.00%
Adam 0 5 0.00%
Totals 17 19 47.22%
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 1st, 2016 at 10:03:09 PM permalink
How do I left-justify a table? Is it possible?
Mission146
Mission146
September 1st, 2016 at 10:14:44 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

How do I left-justify a table? Is it possible?

I don't believe so.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
September 2nd, 2016 at 9:28:35 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

I'm only doing 1 entry. If you are doing more than one, just let me know which one before the first kickoff.

I've sent in my payment (one entry), assuming you are still playing I'll consider our side bet or $20 to be booked, can you please confirm your agreement.

Also, in far as terms, to be clear, the winner will be the highest percent, acknowledging that any missed week (other than the optional skip week) will result in an 0-5 record for that week.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
September 2nd, 2016 at 11:08:10 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

I've sent in my payment (one entry), assuming you are still playing I'll consider our side bet or $20 to be booked, can you please confirm your agreement.

Also, in far as terms, to be clear, the winner will be the highest percent, acknowledging that any missed week (other than the optional skip week) will result in an 0-5 record for that week.

Confirmed.

Wizardofnothing, beachbumbabs, and wudged: same terms as above. Still have room for one more $20 side bet,
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 2nd, 2016 at 11:11:50 AM permalink

Confirmed.

Wizardofnothing, beachbumbabs, and wudged: same terms as above. Still have room for one more $20 side bet,

I'll give you action miplet.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
miplet
miplet
September 2nd, 2016 at 11:22:08 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I'll give you action miplet.

:+) Thanks.
Mission146
Mission146
September 2nd, 2016 at 3:10:16 PM permalink
TODAY'S UPDATE

If you want to follow it more-or-less as it happens, here is the post in the Official Thread that I am periodically editing:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/26768-2016-wov-nfl-picks-game-official-thread/#post550776

STATS:

1.) We have twenty-four individuals (aside from WoN and myself) who have indicated that they are playing and will take at least one entry. However, seven of these have not yet arranged payment.

2.) We currently have ten people in, 'Payment Arranged,' status and seven people in, 'Payment Received,' status. That number will probably grow by Tuesday as several people are sending checks.

3.) Of the 99 invites sent to Members who did not play last year, but fit the invite criteria, forty-nine of them have been opened.

4.) Of the five PM's sent to people who played last year but had not yet responded to this thread, two have been opened and at least one person of those two is playing.

COURSE OF ACTION:

With respect to those who said they are going to play and have not arranged payment, (at that point) I will be sending such people a reminder PM on Sunday. Aside from that, there's really not much for me to do but wait for payments to be arranged and/or come in.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 3rd, 2016 at 12:32:30 PM permalink

Confirmed.

Confirmed.
wudged
wudged
September 6th, 2016 at 7:32:52 AM permalink

Confirmed.

agreed.
miplet
miplet
September 6th, 2016 at 7:43:28 AM permalink
Here is my post from last year with links to my programs. I updated the team that moved so it should work.

I have made some minor changes the programs I wrote last year. You can get the current lines in the same format that Mission148 uses by going to here. Copy all the text (ctr-a, ctr-c in windows). Then go to here, and paste (ctr-p) all the text in the box and click submit. If you did this now, you would get:

Packers (-7) @ Bears (+7) O/U 49
Chiefs (+1) @ Texans (-1) O/U 41
Browns (+3.5) @ Jets (-3.5) O/U 39.5
Colts (-2.5) @ Bills (+2.5) O/U 45
Dolphins (-3.5) @ Redskins (+3.5) O/U 43.5
Panthers (-3) @ Jaguars (+3) O/U 41
Seahawks (-4) @ Rams (+4) O/U 40.5
Saints (+2.5) @ Cardinals (-2.5) O/U 48.5
Lions (+3) @ Chargers (-3) O/U 46
Titans (+3) @ Buccaneers (-3) O/U 41
Bengals (-3) @ Raiders (+3) O/U 43
Ravens (+4.5) @ Broncos (-4.5) O/U 48
Giants (+6) @ Cowboys (-6) O/U 51.5
Eagles (-3) @ Falcons (+3) O/U 55
Vikings (-2.5) @ 49ers (+2.5) O/U 41.5

To compare the current lines to the WoV lines, just click on the compare lines button. If you did this now you would get:
Jets -3 (-3.5)
Jaguars UNDER 41.5 (41)
Cardinals OVER 48 (48.5)
Broncos UNDER 48.5 (48)

The number in parenthesis is the current line.
Let me know of any errors ,questions, comments, or suggestions.
http://miplet.net/nfl list all the files used for all you hackers out there.

Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
September 6th, 2016 at 7:49:18 AM permalink
Miplet I'll only be entering 1 pick but we are confirmed
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
Mission146
Mission146
September 6th, 2016 at 2:42:34 PM permalink
9/6/2016 UPDATE

Greetings!

1.) I have received entry fees from seventeen participants.

2.) Payment arrangements have been made with five other individuals from whom said payment has not yet been received.

3.) Finally, we have three people who said they are going to play, but have not yet finalized payment arrangements.

As an aside, of the five outstanding payments that remain, four of them are going to be checks, so there may not be another update on those until Friday.
JoelDeze
JoelDeze
  • Threads: 49
September 7th, 2016 at 11:29:01 AM permalink

Greetings!

It is time, once again, for the WoV NFL Picks game!!!

The first thing that I would like to do is announce a change to the game for this year that will likely be permanent: Instead of basing what is to be paid the winning player by winning percentage, there will be a simple fee of $20 per entry that shall be collected before the start of the season.

ADDED EV (DONATIONS)

WizardofNothing is donating a guaranteed $50 (which he has already given me for the purpose) to the winner of the game. He is also donating an additional $200 to the winner conditional upon there effectively being twenty-two unique individuals playing. (Twenty other than ourselves)

I am donating $250 to the contest, either way. In the event that we HAVE twenty-two individual players and WoN makes the additional donation, or more, my $250 will be $125 for the, "You Suck," consolation prize and $125 for the, "Most Average," consolation prize.

In the event that we DO NOT have twenty-two individual players, then my $250 shall be broken up as follows:

$100-First Place
$75-"Most Average"
$75-"You Suck"

WizardofNothing will BOTH be defending his donations and be eligible to win the contest.

I will only be defending my donation. If I am the winner, then WizardofNothing's donation will go to me, (because I am not donating anything to first place if he makes the $200 additional donation) but the remaining prize pool will go to second place.

If WizardofNothing does not make the donation due to insufficient players, then I can, 'Defend,' only the amount of my donation for whatever prize I may win. Second place will get the prize pool if I am the winner.

THE RULES

HOW TO ENTER:

I will PM all individuals who played this game last year and all who indicate in this thread that they are interested with an invitation. I will also PM Members who have been Members for less than one year and have ten or more posts with an invitation. I will not PM Members with a longer tenure than that who have not played before because they have effectively already refused (either directly or by way of not playing) a previous invite.

You DO NOT need an invitation to play. Please either PM me or indicate that you are interested in this thread and I will PM you with the payment options for your entry.

Payments MUST be received prior to kickoff on September 11th, 2016 (the first Sunday of the season) for week one entries to be valid, or if paying by a mail method, the envelope must have a post date on or prior to September 10th, 2016. Any envelopes with a post date after that for people who played Week 1 will be returned and the entry will be cancelled.

If you do not play during Week One, you may enter into the contest for Week 2 with Week 1 constituting your, "Skip," Week provided payments are received prior to kickoff (or postmarked) for September 18th, 2016 or earlier.

Entries cost $20 each and each individual participant is permitted to have up to five entries. Additional entries cannot be purchased for Week 2 if you have already played in Week 1.

HOW TO PLAY:

The Rules will be as follows:

Format:

Winner Take All for Prize Pool (There are also two consolation prizes)

Consolation Prizes:

The first consolation prize will be the, "You suck," consolation prize. This prize goes to the player with the worst record, if there is a tie, then the winner shall be adjudicated by the normal tie breaking Rule or the players may opt to split it.

The second consolation prize will be the, "Most Average," consolation prize which goes to the player that finishes the season closest to .500. Tiebreakers will also be adjudicated using the normal tie breaking Rule or the players may opt to split it.

Rules:

1.) The winner will be determined by having the highest winning percentage. In the event of a tie, the winners will have the option of either splitting the take, or they may agree to PM me a Super Bowl pick prior to the Super Bowl, but after the combatants are known, consisting of the winning team, spread and TD's thrown; the winner will be determined in that order. If two Members PM me the same thing, they will BOTH be asked to change at least one aspect of their picks.

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 11:59p.m. EST the Saturday before the game.

3.) Sunday/Monday games will be the only games considered. Every player must pick exactly five winners against the Spread, exactly five Over/Unders, or a combination totaling exactly five.

4.) Players may, "Skip," one week without making any picks, but they don't have to. If a player accidentally fails to submit picks, that will constitute the, "Skip," week.

For players who join the contest in Week 2, Week 1 will constitute the, "Skip," week.

5.) If a player fails to make picks for more than one week, he/she forfeits any right to a consolation prize, but may continue to play. Every week of missed picks other than the allotted, "Skip Week," will result in an 0-5 record for all weeks missed.

6.) Picks will be PM'ed to me at any point prior to 11:59p.m. EST Saturday, all picks will be openly posted by me between midnight Sunday and kickoff.

***The exception to this Rule is that I will accept E-Mail Picks from banned Members, but only if they are banned. If you are banned, you can still receive PM's, so I will PM you my E-Mail address.

7.) At some point on Tuesday or Wednesday the picks, results and updated Standings will be posted by yours truly.

8.) CONFIDENCE PICK: You may make one, "Confidence Pick," per week, though you don't have to. Your, "Confidence Pick," must be made expressly clear in your PM. The CONFIDENCE PICK result will count either as two wins or two losses, if made.

TIME

1.) The first Sunday of the Season is September 11th, Lines will be posted on Thursday, September 8th.

PICK FORMAT

I WILL be enforcing a uniform Pick format this year for all Picks as of Week 3. For the first two weeks, if you send me Picks that are not in the correct format, I will acknowledge that I have received your Picks by re-sending them to you in the correct format. Since I'm throwing $250 into the prize pool of a game that I cannot win, I don't think I am asking for too much, here.

1.) No Line Breaks

2.) For Spread picks, simply put the team nickname and the spread. (Ex: Bengals +5)

3.) For Over/Unders, simply put the team nickname for EITHER team, and the Over or Under amount. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25)

4.) To designate a Confidence Pick, simply put a hyphen and, "Confidence," after the pick. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25-Confidence)

So, a full set of picks might appear:

Patriots -15
Patriots OVER 52
Jaguars +12
Jaguars UNDER 42
Jets +4-Confidence

Let's have a great time, as always!

Rather than posting weekly NFL picks, I'd like to join this contest. Please PM any additional payment details.

Thanks.
“It’s a dog eat dog world out there and I’m wearing milkbone underwear .” – Norm Peterson
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 7th, 2016 at 7:55:54 PM permalink
That's brave of you. I was hoping you might do this. Check the official thread for payment instructions if they're not in this one, or just PM Mission146 to get it done.
JoelDeze
JoelDeze
  • Threads: 49
September 8th, 2016 at 12:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

That's brave of you. I was hoping you might do this. Check the official thread for payment instructions if they're not in this one, or just PM Mission146 to get it done.

I already took care of it last night.
“It’s a dog eat dog world out there and I’m wearing milkbone underwear .” – Norm Peterson
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
September 8th, 2016 at 1:41:09 PM permalink
After some miscommunication I just mailed my check to Mission. I hope that even if he doesn't receive it before Sunday I am allowed to participate.
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2016 at 5:18:44 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

After some miscommunication I just mailed my check to Mission. I hope that even if he doesn't receive it before Sunday I am allowed to participate.

Reply & Update

With respect to checks, provided they are postdated 9/10/06 or before, you're in.

UPDATE:

We currently have twenty participants from whom payment has been received, so WoN's additional donation of $200 is officially in effect.

We have six people who have arranged payment but from whom it has not yet been received.

We have three committed participants who have not arranged payment, an additional reminder will be sent tonight.
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2016 at 5:19:23 PM permalink

Here is my post from last year with links to my programs. I updated the team that moved so it should work.
Let me know of any errors ,questions, comments, or suggestions.
http://miplet.net/nfl list all the files used for all you hackers out there.

Thank you once again, Miplet!
Mission146
Mission146
September 8th, 2016 at 5:23:32 PM permalink
Greetings!

The Week 1 Lines are as follows:

Buccaneers (+3) @ Falcons (-3) O/U 47.5
Vikings (-2.5) @ Titans (+2.5) O/U 40.5
Browns (+4) @ Eagles (-4) O/U 41
Bengals (-2.5) @ Jets (+2.5) O/U 42
Raiders (+1) @ Saints (-1) O/U 51.5
Chargers (+6.5) @ Chiefs (-6.5) O/U 44.5
Bills (+3) @ Ravens (-3) O/U 44.5
Bears (+6) @ Texans (-6) O/U 44
Packers (-5) @ Jaguars (+5) O/U 48
Dolphins (+10.5) @ Seahawks (-10.5) O/U 44
Giants (PK) @ Cowboys (PK) O/U 46
Lions (+3.5) @ Colts (-3.5) O/U 51
Patriots (+6) @ Cardinals (-6) O/U 46.5
Steelers (-3) @ Redskins (+3) O/U 50
Rams (-2.5) @ 49ers (+2.5) O/U 43.5

Reminders shall be sent tomorrow night, Picks are due by 23:59 EST on 9/10/16
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 9th, 2016 at 5:35:51 AM permalink

Greetings!

The Week 1 Lines are as follows:

Buccaneers (+3) @ Falcons (-3) O/U 47.5
Vikings (-2.5) @ Titans (+2.5) O/U 40.5
Browns (+4) @ Eagles (-4) O/U 41
Bengals (-2.5) @ Jets (+2.5) O/U 42
Raiders (+1) @ Saints (-1) O/U 51.5
Chargers (+6.5) @ Chiefs (-6.5) O/U 44.5
Bills (+3) @ Ravens (-3) O/U 44.5
Bears (+6) @ Texans (-6) O/U 44
Packers (-5) @ Jaguars (+5) O/U 48
Dolphins (+10.5) @ Seahawks (-10.5) O/U 44
Giants (PK) @ Cowboys (PK) O/U 46
Lions (+3.5) @ Colts (-3.5) O/U 51
Patriots (+6) @ Cardinals (-6) O/U 46.5
Steelers (-3) @ Redskins (+3) O/U 50
Rams (-2.5) @ 49ers (+2.5) O/U 43.5

Reminders shall be sent tomorrow night, Picks are due by 23:59 EST on 9/10/16

Thanks mission
Maybe post an updated list of participants broken down into money received and not received yet
Hopefully you will get mine today if not already received
Those that sent payment late, you should be good to pick this week as long as post mark is prior to this Sunday
miplet
miplet
September 9th, 2016 at 10:34:23 AM permalink

Thank you once again, Miplet!

You are welcome. I just made one small change: It should now only show Sunday and Monday games.
Mission146
Mission146
September 9th, 2016 at 2:35:45 PM permalink
Terapined:

I'm actually posting an update now in this thread, but that information has been kept up to date in the Official Thread and I linked to that on here earlier.

Miplet:

That's awesome, thanks!
Mission146
Mission146
September 9th, 2016 at 2:41:44 PM permalink
Greetings!

The following is an update to payment statuses:

1.) We have 31 committed participants, of whom 29 are Non-Donation participants.

2.) Of those 29 participants, I have received payments from 25 of them.

3.) Of the other four, two have NOT opened the payment reminder PM, one person has arranged a specific form of payment, and the other has acknowledged and says he will pay tomorrow, but has not mentioned a specific means of payment.

4.) Finally, of all 25 paid participants, none have purchased multiple entries. I'm probably inclined not to allow multiple entries, at this point.

5.) Also, the Rules have always stated that an individual who has entries in Week One may NOT purchase additional entries for Week Two.

6.) However, any other new entries will be accepted beginning in Week Two and may purchase ONE entry.

7.) JoelDeze also accidentally sent me an Amazon Gift Card for $25 and suggests that the other $5 (unless he wins, of course) will be a donation to the winner.
terapined
terapined
September 9th, 2016 at 2:48:48 PM permalink
Thanks Mission
Happy you got my payment :-)
The thread with participants and the betting lines is important
Should be a sticky thread and at the top of the forum like other forums that have important threads permanently at the top
Mission146
Mission146
September 9th, 2016 at 2:56:02 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Thanks Mission
Happy you got my payment :-)
The thread with participants and the betting lines is important
Should be a sticky thread and at the top of the forum like other forums that have important threads permanently at the top

You're welcome!

So let it be written, so let it be done.
Mission146
Mission146
September 9th, 2016 at 3:44:43 PM permalink
The following announcement was just made in the Official Thread:

Greetings!

Here are a few miscellaneous matters that I am grouping into one post:

Picks & Reminders

A.) You may request not to receive Pick reminders, and if you do, I will do my best not to send them. However, it is as close to an, 'Automated,' process as a person is capable of in the sense that I just go down the list and forward the reminders. I usually do a pretty good job crossing handles out if you have already sent Picks, though.

B.) If you send Picks AND get a reminder, that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't get your Picks. If you see the PM in your Outbox, that means that I got it, but feel free to send again if it makes you more comfortable.

C.) Please label PM's in as clear a way as possible if sending Picks that are not a reply to a Reminder PM. This is important because I do NOT want to inadvertently look at anyone's Picks before making my own.

Prizes

We have a Hell of a good player pool this year, and I am thrilled that I think it will get even bigger next year. With the combination of a stronger number of players, increased donations and the new Rules we have some pretty good prizes this year. This post will be Edited, but the prizes based on, 'Payment Received,' entries are:

1st Place: $500 (Entries) + ($55---$50 Donation from WoN and $5 from JoelDeze I'm holding) + $200 (WoN Donation he will either pay on direct or give to me at some point).----TOTAL $755

"Most Average": $125 donation from yours truly.

"You Suck," (Worst Record): $125 donation from yours truly.

The current prize pool stands just a shade above $1,000, so that's pretty exciting! Again that's:

First Place: $755
Most Average: $125
You Suck: $125

Some have wondered why no payouts for second and third, but the two, 'Consolation Prizes,' exist for a reason other than to increase total payouts. They mainly exist to keep people, 'In the game,' even after they are quite probably eliminated from winning the top prize. There will, unfortunately, probably still be a few people in the final week who are essentially mathematically eliminated from winning any prize, but that number should be few and I would be surprised if it applies to anyone before that.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 9th, 2016 at 4:22:39 PM permalink
How many players have multiple entries?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mission146
Mission146
September 9th, 2016 at 4:47:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

How many players have multiple entries?

Zero. I'm probably not going to allow them, now. We have 25, 'Payment Received,' entries out of 29 non-donation entries.
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
September 9th, 2016 at 9:45:50 PM permalink

Zero. I'm probably not going to allow them, now. We have 25, 'Payment Received,' entries out of 29 non-donation entries.

like you said at this point why bother, this is for fun. 1 entry per person.
10DollarBri
10DollarBri
September 10th, 2016 at 7:55:01 AM permalink
EdCollins would you kindly provide a link to your picks game calculator again this year?
I know nothing!
Mission146
Mission146
September 11th, 2016 at 12:30:50 AM permalink
(I write a ton of stuff for this site, but this is my favorite thing to write every single year!):

Greetings!

The Week 1 Picks have been posted:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/26768-2016-wov-nfl-picks-game-official-thread/#post552465

Before anything else, I want to thank everyone for playing this game this year and I hope that a great time is had by all regardless of the results. I always smile at the PM's thanking me for hosting this game because I honestly get much more enjoyment out of hosting it, in my opinion, than anyone can possibly get from playing it...except maybe the winner.

Anyway, it is my pleasure to report that we will be starting this season with 29 participants inclusive of two (myself and WoN) who were given free entries pursuant to donations as well as 27 paid participants all of whom are either in, 'Payment Received,' or, 'Payment Arranged,' status. I don't know what happened to SamHain or MrGoldenSun, and I certainly hope they are all right, but they are free to join in Week 2 (along with anyone else who gets payment in on time) if they are interested.

Either way, we have a record number of participants this year and I expect the record will be broken next year.

Procedural Matter

I would like to inform everyone that I have made a Commissioner's Call given that this is the first week of the season. JoelDeze submitted four picks along with the Confidence Pick, I assume, because he interpreted the Rules (I could always improve at writing them) as stating that a Confidence Pick could substitute for a fifth pick.

Those Picks shall be accepted as written without the need for an additional Pick because I wanted to get Week 1 Picks up and did not want to wait for him to modify his Picks to include a fifth selection.

With that said, I do wish to make it clear that such a set of Picks will not be accepted in future weeks for any reason. Confidence Picks exist to double on one of the five picks, so five selections count as six (because one counts as two). Confidence Picks are not intended to substitute for a fifth selection, and pursuant to the way I meant the Rules to be understood, Confidence Picks absolutely do not do that.

In summary, everyone must make five total picks, every week, regardless of whether or not a Confidence Pick is made.

Any further instances of anyone making less than five Picks shall result in all unmade Picks counting as a loss, but JoelDeze obviously gets a pass this time.

Hell, if this is the only bug that needs worked out this entire season, I'll be ecstatic!

Thank you everyone, I wish everyone luck this week, enjoy watching tomorrow's slate of games and let's all have a blast this year!
terapined
terapined
September 11th, 2016 at 7:16:05 AM permalink
Compiled our picks. of course 1 for a pick and 2 for confidence

Most Love
Giants 13
Cards 9

Least Love
Seahawks 0
Falcons 1

Most lopsided