Toes14
Toes14
  • Threads: 18
April 13th, 2016 at 10:29:18 AM permalink
Just thought I'd start a thread on the 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs, and my predictions for each series.

ROUND ONE
East
Washington v Philadelphia
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

ROUND TWO
Washington v Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay v NY Islanders

St. Louis v Dallas
Anaheim v San Jose

CONF FINALS
Washington v Tampa Bay
St. Louis v Anaheim

STANLEY CUP FINALS
Washington v St. Louis

I realize I'm going out on a limb picking my Blues to advance so far, when their past history doesn't support it. But lately something just feels different about this team. The rookies (Fabbri, Parayko, Edmundson) are playing like high caliber veterans, and seem to hold up well under pressure. The newly acquired veterans (Brouwer, Brodziak, Upshall) have quality playoff experience. Elliott is playing very well lately, and can steal a game or two when needed.

And for the first time I can remember, the Blackhawks look human. They've got some questions to answer about their defensive depth and how well Crawford will respond in goal returning from his injury. A 2nd round match-up against Dallas doesn't scare me, as the Blues went 4-1 against them this year, and who knows how long they will be without Tyler Seguin? Anaheim always plays the Blues tough, but we went 2-1 against them this year, and will have home ice advantage. A Stanley Cup Finals against Washington could be epic! the two team split 1-1 this year, each team dominating at home.
"Bite my Glorious Golden Ass!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 13th, 2016 at 11:30:08 AM permalink
Washington vs St Louis? I just threw up in my own mouth. This ain't baseball, friend-o. What you need to do is find you a map. Once found, begin cutting along the Mason-Dixon line going west. When you reach Springfield, IL, cut to the Canadian border so that you intersect Fargo, then continue cutting along the Canadian border until you reach the Pacific.

If you in the north half, you hockey. If you in the south, you the Brooklyn Brawler. Just some low-talent placeholder we swept off the floor and tossed in the ring so the stars can stretch their legs. And don't even get me started on the Southwest or a whole lotta feelings gonna get hurt.

On topic, the lineup you posted is it? GD, what a sorry affair. The more I read it, the more rustled my jimmies. Hell, Dallas is the only Canadian team even in it! Jesus wept, AZD is right; this society has collapsed.

I honestly came here to participate, but I now find myself unable to comprehend the horrors before mine own eyes. I'm gonna need a bit to mull this over. I'll be back with a prediction; if I happen to forget, put me down for the Nordiques to win it all.

To be continued...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 13th, 2016 at 12:31:22 PM permalink
would Pens and Caps play each other in the 2nd round? 1 vs 2 seed in the 2nd round?

eta, just looked at the bracket. I forgot they did the weird 4 conference thing. that is silly.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
April 13th, 2016 at 1:55:05 PM permalink
Got my Flyers facial growth going. I don't expect it to get too long.

No Boston? Too bad (NOT!)
GWAE
GWAE
April 13th, 2016 at 2:01:22 PM permalink
I was hoping no detroit
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 13th, 2016 at 3:21:43 PM permalink
Blackhawks.

I know, doesn't look like a winner.

Blackhawks. I don't even like them......

Blackhawks.

My son made me do it, Blackhawks
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Face
Administrator
Face
April 13th, 2016 at 4:05:02 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I was hoping no detroit

Detroit sacrificed Barry Sanders' career for eternal Wings bids. And then there was that incident with TheCessPit and the chickens. Get used to it; Hockeytown is in forever (I don't like it either, but I can't combat Barry Sanders blood magic)

I suppose I'll get to memorializing my pics. As is standard, no effort will be given towards the West, as they do not deserve the recognition.

ROUND ONE
East
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

ROUND TWO
Philly v Rangers
Tampa Bay v Florida

Dallas v Chicago
Nashville v San Jose

CONF FINALS
Rangers v Tampa
Dallas v Nashville

STANLEY CUP FINALS
Rangers v Nashville

/sigh. That's a pretty garbage showing. Not a secondary or even tertiary team to cheer for.

Emotional pick goes to the Pens. The more they play, the more likely Cindy gets killed and retires.

Confidence pick - SJ. I know what I'm doing.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 13th, 2016 at 4:13:53 PM permalink

I was hoping no detroit

Me too. Piss on the Illitches!
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
GWAE
GWAE
April 13th, 2016 at 5:03:39 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Detroit sacrificed Barry Sanders' career for eternal Wings bids. And then there was that incident with TheCessPit and the chickens. Get used to it; Hockeytown is in forever (I don't like it either, but I can't combat Barry Sanders blood magic)

I suppose I'll get to memorializing my pics. As is standard, no effort will be given towards the West, as they do not deserve the recognition.

ROUND ONE
East
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

ROUND TWO
Philly v Rangers
Tampa Bay v Florida

Dallas v Chicago
Nashville v San Jose

CONF FINALS
Rangers v Tampa
Dallas v Nashville

STANLEY CUP FINALS
Rangers v Nashville

/sigh. That's a pretty garbage showing. Not a secondary or even tertiary team to cheer for.

Emotional pick goes to the Pens. The more they play, the more likely Cindy gets killed and retires.

Confidence pick - SJ. I know what I'm doing.

I had a bet with myself over/under 2 days for face to hate on crosby. I won the bet with the under.
Toes14
Toes14
April 14th, 2016 at 8:14:31 AM permalink
So by your logic, LA never won those two recent Stanley Cups? Come on, try being serious. Maybe look at it analytically instead of throwing broad generalizations out. Your rant sounds like someone who wishes the NHL never expanded from the original 6!

There is hockey talent everywhere. Even in St. Louis, though you don't care to admit it. Tell me that there aren't 29 other teams in the league who'd want Tarasenko, Steen, Fabbri, Elliott, Lehtera, Shattenkirk, Boumeister, Petroangelo, and Backes on their rosters!
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 14th, 2016 at 9:14:38 AM permalink
According to Face's "cut the map" analysis, one of those "low talent placeholder" teams won the Cup in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2012 & 2014. Since 2005 was the lock out, that means one of those placeholder teams won the Cup 45% of the time over the last 12 years! Yet Face left all the Canadian Franchise's in the insider's club and none of them have won since 1993 (Dude that is 22 years!!)...and two out of the last three times a Canadian team actually made the Finals, they lost to a Placeholder team. The NHL world has changed my friend....and this year's Champion will be another Placeholder Team!!
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 14th, 2016 at 9:30:03 AM permalink
This may be true.
That does not make it 'good'. So there...
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 14th, 2016 at 10:07:53 AM permalink
Oh 2F, You're just bitter over last night's OT loss :-)...unfortunately for your son, Hawks aren't going to make it out of the first round...it isn't good, but that doesn't make it untrue :-)
Face
Administrator
Face
April 14th, 2016 at 12:39:42 PM permalink

I had a bet with myself over/under 2 days for face to hate on crosby. I won the bet with the under.

2 days? C'mon, GWAE! I'm surprised it took me two posts =D

Quote: Toes14

So by your logic, LA never won those two recent Stanley Cups?

I didn't say that. I said they don't deserve consideration. Hell, even the Great One couldn't overcome the miasma of the West. He tossed up FOUR 200pt seasons...until he went to LA. Case closed.

Quote: Toes

There is hockey talent everywhere. Even in St. Louis, though you don't care to admit it. Tell me that there aren't 29 other teams in the league who'd want Tarasenko, Steen, Fabbri, Elliott, Lehtera, Shattenkirk, Boumeister, Petroangelo, and Backes on their rosters!

Sure, I loved Brett Hull. Maybe not openly, but he's in my heart. Hanging out with Bruce Smith, probably.

Not sure who the rest of those scrubs you posted are, but sure, I bet there are some teams that want them. You win this round.

Quote: Paradigm

According to Face's "cut the map" analysis, one of those "low talent placeholder" teams won the Cup in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2012 & 2014. Since 2005 was the lock out, that means one of those placeholder teams won the Cup 45% of the time over the last 12 years! Yet Face left all the Canadian Franchise's in the insider's club and none of them have won since 1993 (Dude that is 22 years!!)...and two out of the last three times a Canadian team actually made the Finals, they lost to a Placeholder team. The NHL world has changed my friend....and this year's Champion will be another Placeholder Team!!

40% of the teams winning 45% of the games? Pardon me if I'm not impressed by "slightly over par".

I know my map's not perfect. Hell, Columbus is in there. Bleh. You need to look at it kinda like basic strategy; not "computer perfect", but good enough for .gov work.

Just remember; an attack of my map is a defense of the Coyotes. Me? I prefer sleeping at night =p

And it kinda hurts, being accused of not trying and all. I spent all night pouring over simulations of NHLPA '93 for this. Them's my real picks, you can take 'em to the bank. Trust me; I'm a Leafs fan ;)
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 14th, 2016 at 2:43:29 PM permalink
So a few items here:

First, where do I send my dues to the Cindy Hater Club? There are literally no redeeming qualities of that complaining, diving, cheap shot artist that would turtle at the first sign of trouble piece of $^%*! He isn't a WoV member as far as I know, so it's OK to lay that down, right? Hell, I'll take the suspension for a Cindy insult :-P

Second, just ask the Great White North how hard making "par" in Cup wins has been over the last 25 years :-p

Third, an attack on Face's map is also is a defense of the Black Aces/Black Knights in Vegas and let's face it, being able to take in your favorite teams away game at the T Mobile Center and then hitting the tables later that night is a good thing :-)!
Face
Administrator
Face
April 14th, 2016 at 3:19:45 PM permalink

There are literally no redeeming qualities of that complaining, diving, cheap shot artist that would turtle at the first sign of trouble piece of $^%*!...

Hell of a shot. Crazy puck handling skills. Beautiful skater. Ain't got a lick of hockey in him.

No penalty for abuse of pro players. The only time sports talk almost came to suspensions is when Lem tried arguing that Mario was better than Wayne. Hell, that one almost came to a public hanging. Perhaps someone will come here extolling Cindy's virtues and there will be a public hanging =p

Third, an attack on Face's map is also is a defense of the Black Aces/Black Knights in Vegas and let's face it, being able to take in your favorite teams away game at the T Mobile Center and then hitting the tables later that night is a good thing :-)!

OK, real talk, I'm not concerned about hockey in Vegas. Locals may be, perhaps the stadium costs whatever, but I don't have a concern it would do OK. Maybe even good. Vegas is always busy, and a packed house ain't but 18k. It should work.

And I also don't have problems with them being south of the Mason-Dixon. They're not a real team, but that's their problem. Don't cost Face nuttin'

But if Vegas gets a team before QC, I'll lose my mind. It's just not natural.

I've already laid plans to flood the St Lawrence with poutine should it happen. Timmy Ho's is on board, BK's a maybe. Harvey's said no...

It just can't happen. I'll take my penchant for coups to Quebec, I don't care. #QCfirst
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 14th, 2016 at 3:58:38 PM permalink
Hockey is not my favorite sport but I am a bit of a Caps fan. They will either win it all or get bounced in the first round by the Flyers. Caps are the ~3/1 favs to win the Cup. Unfortunately, they are not coming into the Playoffs with any sort of Championship form.

Prediction:
STANLEY CUP FINALS
Washington v Anahiem

----------

Who is generally the most despised/dirty player in the NHL?
For example, the dirtiest player in the NBA (as voted by the players) is Matthew Dellavedova (Cleveland).
Face
Administrator
Face
April 14th, 2016 at 4:02:09 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Who is generally the most despised/dirty player in the NHL?

Ever, or right now?
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 14th, 2016 at 4:36:45 PM permalink

Ever, or right now?

Both is fine for this discussion. Current players mentioned will be fun to watch during the Playoffs (if they are playing in them).
GWAE
GWAE
April 14th, 2016 at 4:40:52 PM permalink

Both is fine for this discussion. Current players mentioned will be fun to watch during the Playoffs (if they are playing in them).

As a Pens fan I would have to say anyone on the flyers past or present.
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 14th, 2016 at 6:41:45 PM permalink

But if Vegas gets a team before QC, I'll lose my mind. It's just not natural.

I've already laid plans to flood the St Lawrence with poutine should it happen. Timmy Ho's is on board, BK's a maybe. Harvey's said no...

It just can't happen. I'll take my penchant for coups to Quebec, I don't care. #QCfirst

Get the poutine ready...to many teams north of the Mason-Dixon line already and another Canadian placeholder franchise, please!! Just kidding Face :-P!

Well not really....NHL expands to 31 teams in '17-18 (Vegas). QC's best shot is a Carolina re-location (Florida was a potential, but Jagr & Co screwed up that plan). After Vegas, Seattle gets the next expansion team out West. It is all a matter of balance between conferences and you can't go to 17 teams in the East and 13 or 14 in the West...the numbers don't lie.

The other option is to move someone from the Eastern Conference to the Western Conference, but what move there makes any sense...you already had Detroit go the other way. That was a real shot through the plans for QC or the GTA to get another team.

Carolina is your best shot.....you need next year's average attendance to have a 10 or low 11 handle on it and I think you got a shot there. I bet Karmanos would jump at a chance to move to QC if the option was given to him...he knows where he would make the most $$ and it ain't Raleigh, NC
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 14th, 2016 at 7:13:55 PM permalink

Hell of a shot. Crazy puck handling skills. Beautiful skater. Ain't got a lick of hockey in him.

Ha, I meant as a person....Cindy can't hold a candle to other players with similar skills...I'd take Messier, Jagr, Yzerman, etc. over Cindy. Think you would ever find video like this of any of those true great NHLers: Cry Baby Crosby

He is and always will be a punk! Gotta love Kovalchuk at the 3:11 mark...Cindy must regularly be wearing a Kevlar vest under those shoulder pads, there is no other way he could have survived getting shot so many times on the ice. He sure likes to get tough when his teammate is holding the other player though or have one of his teammates take on the scrap after he gets in a few cheap shots to get things going.

Name me another #1 center that is as bad for the league as his antics. When your own colleagues think you are the worst whiner...I don't think that is a vote you want to be winning...I could be wrong though :-)....I stand by my statements.
Toes14
Toes14
April 15th, 2016 at 9:31:45 AM permalink

Sure, I loved Brett Hull. Maybe not openly, but he's in my heart. Hanging out with Bruce Smith, probably.

Not sure who the rest of those scrubs you posted are, but sure, I bet there are some teams that want them. You win this round.

Ok. I'm done.

No use arguing with someone who doesn't even know who one of the most dynamic leading scorers in the league over the past two years is (77 goals, 147 pts). Or who the goalie with the lowest GAA and highest save percentage was this season. Or the rookie defensemen whose +/- more than doubled the next two highest rookies. I'll save my discussion for people with real hockey knowledge.

Tarasenko
Parayko
Elliott
GWAE
GWAE
April 15th, 2016 at 10:22:17 AM permalink

Ok. I'm done.

No use arguing with someone who doesn't even know who one of the most dynamic leading scorers in the league over the past two years is (77 goals, 147 pts). Or who the goalie with the lowest GAA and highest save percentage was this season. Or the rookie defensemen whose +/- more than doubled the next two highest rookies. I'll save my discussion for people with real hockey knowledge.

Tarasenko
Parayko
Elliott

Since Face hates crosby he loses all credibility anyways ;-)
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 15th, 2016 at 11:43:20 AM permalink
Wait, I hate Cindy...I refuse to allow that to be the credibility litmus test :-)
GWAE
GWAE
April 15th, 2016 at 12:08:37 PM permalink
Hmmm, I guess it's hard to be thr best
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 15th, 2016 at 12:46:59 PM permalink
The best at what? Crying....Diving....Turtling? Did you watch that video...his on ice antics are horrible...no one can defend that activity....it is embarrassing to be seen in a Pens 87 jersey if you are over the age of 16.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 15th, 2016 at 1:12:25 PM permalink

No use arguing with someone...

I said "You win". What's left to argue? Silly goose.

who doesn't even know who one of the most dynamic leading scorers in the league...

What we have here is a failure to communicate. If I had known you switched topics to PK Subban, I'd have had more to say. So what about the most dynamic scorer in the league? Pretty boss, huh? If he loses the attitude, he'll be one of the Greats, for sure.

I'll save my discussion for people with real hockey knowledge.

You wanna talk stats, then yes, please do find someone else. I don't mean that as snarky as it sounds, I'm just not that type of guy. Wanna talk up-and-comers, superstars of today, the next big thing, I ain't your guy for that, either. But hockey? I know me some hockey. I just don't watch it that much, and if I do, it's only teams that matter (Jesus, man, have a beer and check the sig =p)

Hmmm, I guess it's hard to be thr best

Dion Phaneuf is a turd. We call him Pylon

Quote: Merriam-Webster

noun - py·lon \ˈpī-ˌlän, -lən\ 1 a : a usually massive gateway

See, just because you love a team doesn't mean you have to drop and gargle all their "stars". I've bled Blue and White since '93, and Phaneuf is a turd. He's huge, talented, got mad skills, raking in huge money, has the big ol' "C" on his chest, and he's a f#$%^ing turd. See how easy that is?

I just wanted to point that out so you feel safe in expressing yourself. Unless, of course, you already are expressing your true feelings. In which case, Paradigm, please fetch the rope. I can bang out this here gallows before the sun sets.
Face
Administrator
Face
April 15th, 2016 at 1:27:16 PM permalink

Name me another #1 center that is as bad for the league as his antics. When your own colleagues think you are the worst whiner...I don't think that is a vote you want to be winning...I could be wrong though :-)....I stand by my statements.

I just watched it and I'm very literally sweating right now I am so pissed. I remember that Flyers game when every single person was in the box except the one who deserved it most. I would forfeit every material good I have for one shot at that piece of excrement. 30 seconds, on the ice, me v him. Everything. I. Own.

This is why we need a Domi, a Samuelsson, a McSorely. He would've pulled that s#$% ONE TIME, and then had 3 weeks off for a concussion. Bet he wouldn't have done it again.

Thanks for igniting the fire and giving me a reason to look forward to playoff hockey, Paragigm. Go Pens!
GWAE
GWAE
April 15th, 2016 at 1:39:36 PM permalink

The best at what? Crying....Diving....Turtling? Did you watch that video...his on ice antics are horrible...no one can defend that activity....it is embarrassing to be seen in a Pens 87 jersey if you are over the age of 16.

Haha, to be honest I couldn't care less about his antics or whether team mates like him or not. As long as he helps the team is all I care about. Just like when Matt cooke was here. His antics were horrible but he did a lot of good for the team.

I hate giroux and Simmons but if they were traded to the Pens then I would like them. Just like last year when (the flyer who's name icant remember had a try out with the pens) if he would have helped the city win then I would have rooted for him.

The entire sports world and the money they make just makes me sick. Every year I am growing further and further away from sports because of this.
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 15th, 2016 at 1:56:50 PM permalink

As a Pens fan I would have to say anyone on the flyers past or present.

I have heard about the Flyers long history of aggressive antics. They have a nickname or something right? (yes, I know I can google it)

Last night Simmonds pulled a seemingly unwise move fighting late in the third period. Philly was still in the game. I guess sending a "message" was more important than actually trying to win game one?
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 15th, 2016 at 2:49:58 PM permalink

....Just like when Matt cooke was here. His antics were horrible but he did a lot of good for the team...

Matt Cooke...again, this is what the Penguins organization puts on the ice?

The Ducks traded for Garbutt this year, I immediately fired off an e-mail to my season ticket rep and said if that guy acts like he did when he was a Dallas Star in an Anaheim uniform, I am done! I have had season tickets since 1996!! So far, he has been a much better citizen on the ice when it comes to stupid cheap ass penalties, but if that changes and the Samueli's allow Murray to keep a cheap shot artist on the team, I am out....guaranteed!!

Vote with your $$ and you loyalty...find a team you can be proud of...I would have to look up Giroux, but Simmons wasn't a cheap shot artist as an LA King and trust me as a Ducks fan, I have about as biased viewpoint as you can get when discussing any LAK player (think Philly players as a Pens fan)...playing tough and finishing checks is a far cry from trying to end someone's career like Matt Cooke...or crying and whining and pulling the cheap shot crap and having one of your teammates drop the glove for you...Pittsburgh, it's an embarrassment what is out there on the ice representing your city. Once Lemiuex and Jags were gone, the class left the Igloo.

You know who is going to have a class organization that you can dump the Pens for....Vegas (Sorry Face). Foley is a West Point graduate....I have known quite a few in my past. Always class acts, upstanding, "Do it the right way or not at all" type citizens...not a chance a player like Crosby or Cooke ends up sporting a Black Aces/Knights jersey.

I can't wait for Ovie & Co to run Crosby through the boards in the 2nd round. Not a big Ovie fan, but he is a lot better individual/hockey player than Cindy!!
Face
Administrator
Face
April 15th, 2016 at 4:32:27 PM permalink

I have heard about the Flyers long history of aggressive antics. They have a nickname or something right? (yes, I know I can google it)

The Broad Street Bullies. Established a rough and tumble reputation in the 70's, I believe. Carried on through the 80's and then Lindros showed up. He is the original Philidelphia Flower and in one fell swoop ruined the tough guy dynasty. God, I hated him.

You know who is going to have a class organization that you can dump the Pens for....Vegas (Sorry Face). Foley is a West Point graduate....I have known quite a few in my past. Always class acts, upstanding, "Do it the right way or not at all" type citizens...not a chance a player like Crosby or Cooke ends up sporting a Black Aces/Knights jersey.

I'm over it. I know the details, I know QC isn't until '17 minimum, what can you do. And it's another team in the west AND in the desert. OK, whatever.

Interesting to see the ballsy prediction. I think management will build a team that works, damn their "class". Claude Lemeiux sure had no trouble finding work for 16 years.

I can't wait for Ovie & Co to run Crosby through the boards in the 2nd round. Not a big Ovie fan, but he is a lot better individual/hockey player than Cindy!!

I don't like his ethic. He is top tier talented in all aspects, AND he's a physical guy. He doesn't shy from hit. But, too many times he coasts. Ooh, I can't stand a coaster. If he gave 100% all the time, he would redefine "superstar". Alas...

But I agree; better than Cindy.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
April 15th, 2016 at 5:22:15 PM permalink
Controller disconnected? Is that from a video game???

Anyway...I am pulling for the Caps as I do every year. They have ripped defeat from the jaws of victory more than once. When i first started watching, just watching Bryan Lewis skate out as the referee was enough to know that the first team to score had a definite advantage (the Islanders were absolute masters at "protecting" a lead with holding, hooking, interference, tackling, etc.--all ignore because, well, it is the playoffs...four Stanley Cups). I was there when they were down by 3 in game 7, killed off a 5 minute spearing major, and came back to win in overtime on a goal by Dale Hunter. When the lost game 7 to the Islanders in 3 overtimes or so at something like 2:30 a.m. on Easter morning--I still made sunrise service at Arlington National Cemetery. So many good memories that ended with them on the wrong end of the handshake line...

Here we go, Caps! Make this year different!!
Face
Administrator
Face
April 16th, 2016 at 1:06:46 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

That's the joke =p

The footage is from real hockey. The video game icons were added as Ovi, who was "right there" and could've stepped into that 3 on 2, simply coasted on the back check and let them tic-tac-toe for the goal. His performance mimicked what happens when your controller's batteries die - all input stops and you just coast. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.

...Dale Hunter.

La Petite Peste?! Holy expletive deleted. Thanks for the flashbacks, RonC =D

I remember sitting right were I am right now, 5yrs old, curled up with Pops. We'd catch the CBC wafting over Erie with rabbit ears; the nights he'd let me stay up to watch were always the best, and the Nords became my first "favorite team". Stephan Richer, Peter Stasny, omg, I can't handle all these memories =,D

When he retired, didn't they gift him the actual penalty box?
RonC
RonC
April 16th, 2016 at 1:32:10 PM permalink

La Petite Peste?! Holy expletive deleted. Thanks for the flashbacks, RonC =D

When he retired, didn't they gift him the actual penalty box?

Yes, they had moved from the Capital Centre in Landover, MD to the Verizon Center in Washington, DC in 1997. They gave him the penalty box from the Cap Centre. The Capitals also had the same radio voice for their first 1,936 games.. So many memories of my years as a season ticket holder before tickets became so expensive!! Doug Jarvis getting knocked out and carried off on a stretcher in St Louis and playing the next night in Chicago. Each player (pretty much) with a cup for their teeth to be stored in during the game. Rod Langway "The Secretary of Defense"... Watching one of the coach's kids for him at a game and how my son ran around downstairs in the bowels of the Verizon Center and hung in the family lounge--and getting to park inside the fence where players and coaches park.

I absolutely think hockey is the best sport to watch...and the playoffs are even better!!

Let's Go Caps!!
Toes14
Toes14
April 19th, 2016 at 5:21:25 PM permalink
So, is anyone surprised about the way any of the series are going so far? I picked San Jose over LA, but definitely didn't see Nashville going up 2-0 on Anaheim.
GWAE
GWAE
April 19th, 2016 at 6:49:53 PM permalink
I can't wait till after post season to see what then pens do with fleury. I think Murray who was a star in the ahl is here to stay.
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 23rd, 2016 at 12:01:39 PM permalink

So, is anyone surprised about the way any of the series are going so far? I picked San Jose over LA, but definitely didn't see Nashville going up 2-0 on Anaheim.

Love the Sharks knocking out the LAK's, now what I need is the Ducks to take care of the "Best of Three" series ahead of them and then take out the Sharks in 5!
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
April 23rd, 2016 at 3:06:59 PM permalink

Anyway...I am pulling for the Caps as I do every year. They have ripped defeat from the jaws of victory more than once. When i first started watching, just watching Bryan Lewis skate out as the referee was enough to know that the first team to score had a definite advantage (the Islanders were absolute masters at "protecting" a lead with holding, hooking, interference, tackling, etc.--all ignore because, well, it is the playoffs...four Stanley Cups). I was there when they were down by 3 in game 7, killed off a 5 minute spearing major, and came back to win in overtime on a goal by Dale Hunter. When the lost game 7 to the Islanders in 3 overtimes or so at something like 2:30 a.m. on Easter morning--I still made sunrise service at Arlington National Cemetery. So many good memories that ended with them on the wrong end of the handshake line...

Here we go, Caps! Make this year different!!

Don't look now but...
After going up 3-0, the Caps find themselves playing game 6 in Philly tomorrow.
GWAE
GWAE
April 23rd, 2016 at 3:34:21 PM permalink
Let's go pens. I think they looked impressive in this series. Should be a good one once the caps finish the flyers.
RonC
RonC
April 23rd, 2016 at 3:38:24 PM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Don't look now but...
After going up 3-0, the Caps find themselves playing game 6 in Philly tomorrow.

Yep...they look like the good snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. Being a Caps fan is not an easy thing. The Caps have a hot goaile; the other guy is hotter right now...and he has a little something to prove, since the Caps traded him away a few years back.
Toes14
Toes14
April 25th, 2016 at 8:58:42 PM permalink

ROUND ONE
East
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

If Anaheim wins Wednesday night, I'll have hit all eight of the first round series correctly.
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 28th, 2016 at 8:23:04 AM permalink
Unfortunately, you didn't account for the Boudreau Factor. Licking my wounds and hoping for a new coaching situation. Been very tough to be in the stands for four successive Game 7 flame out defeats. Have to hand it to Face, he had Nashville in this series.
ernestmiddle
ernestmiddle
  • Threads: 2
April 28th, 2016 at 8:30:55 AM permalink
Will the winning team be on Wrestlemania this year ?
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 28th, 2016 at 4:24:55 PM permalink

ROUND ONE
East
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

If Anaheim wins Wednesday night, I'll have hit all eight of the first round series correctly.

You jinxed it! I am kidding, seven out of eight is very strong. Who do you have winning WAS vs PIT?

Unfortunately, you didn't account for the Boudreau Factor. Licking my wounds and hoping for a new coaching situation. Been very tough to be in the stands for four successive Game 7 flame out defeats. Have to hand it to Face, he had Nashville in this series.

4 straight Game 7 playoff losses was probably very difficult to watch for Ducks fans. So now that your team is out, do you cheer for another team or just check out until next year?

Go Caps!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 28th, 2016 at 5:00:44 PM permalink
Boudreau.

I don't follow the NHL. I did attend a season of Z-level pro hockey in Sioux City, IA many moons ago, where one of the features was the Chicken Lady. She would reach over the boards and beat the opposing teams about the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken while the farmers howled. God protect the unwary or hyper-focused visitor on the ice.

Somehow "the Boudreau factor" brings all of that back, just the phrase, and I haven't the slightest idea what the reference means. Toothless banjo player sound to it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
April 28th, 2016 at 5:00:50 PM permalink

ROUND ONE
East
Pittsburgh v NY Rangers
Florida v NY Islanders
Tampa Bay v Detroit

West
Dallas v Minnesota
St. Louis v Chicago
Anaheim v Nashville
Los Angeles v San Jose

You jinxed it! I am kidding, seven out of eight is very strong. Who do you have winning WAS vs PIT?

4 straight Game 7 playoff losses was probably very difficult to watch for Ducks fans. So now that your team is out, do you cheer for another team or just check out until next year?

Go Caps!

If by Go Caps your mean let's go Pens then I agree with you.
Keeneone
Keeneone
April 28th, 2016 at 5:11:27 PM permalink

If by Go Caps your mean let's go Pens then I agree with you.

I am not a big NHL fan, but I am excited about this series. Feels like an early "Finals" even though it is just the 2nd round. Good luck to all.
Paradigm
Paradigm
April 28th, 2016 at 5:13:14 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Boudreau.

I don't follow the NHL. I did attend a season of Z-level pro hockey in Sioux City, IA many moons ago, where one of the features was the Chicken Lady. She would reach over the boards and beat the opposing teams about the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken while the farmers howled. God protect the unwary or hyper-focused visitor on the ice.

Somehow "the Boudreau factor" brings all of that back, just the phrase, and I haven't the slightest idea what the reference means. Toothless banjo player sound to it.

Head Coach of Anaheim Ducks...has a history of coaching teams to regular season success followed by playoff under performance with both Capitals and now the Ducks. Heads will roll and it will likely be his this off season.
  • Jump to: