shinywetsock
shinywetsock
  • Threads: 1
September 21st, 2015 at 8:42:00 PM permalink
Hi,

I've been looking everywhere, but all I'm finding is people who want the same thing. I'm wanting to get historical moneylines for nfl games, as far back as possible (I'd love to get 1978-2014). Even just data as minimal as:

<date, home, away, home ML, away ML>

would be great. I've done quite a bit of searching, but can't quite hit on the right source. The best I've found so far is oddsportal.com (2008-current) and footballlocks.com (2006-current), but both would involve somewhat significant effort and/or scraping.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated. There is so much noise in searches of this type, it's overwhelming
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 21st, 2015 at 9:21:47 PM permalink
These records go back to 1993, but I don't know that they're in a format that will give you the level of detail you're looking for.

http://www.goldsheet.com/histnfl.php
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
shinywetsock
shinywetsock
September 22nd, 2015 at 8:13:42 AM permalink
No moneylines in there.

I've got data with point spreads pretty far back....it's the money line data that seems to be the difficult item to find.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
September 22nd, 2015 at 9:50:41 AM permalink
Wetsock,

Depending upon your project, I suspect you might not need the actual moneyline. If you already have the spread, you can certainly arrive at a fair moneyline yourself.

At this page here at this site,

https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/nfl/

take a look at the "Probability of Winning in the NFL by Point Spread" chart. It lists all of the pointspreads for a game starting from 0 (pick'em) up to 24. The far right column lists a fair money line for that pointspread. That might be all you need.

Furthermore, if you DID find a website that listed past moneylines, you have to realize that moneyline is going to be different than the moneyline for that same game from a different source/book. For example, according to VegasInsider right now, the money line on the upcoming Washington / Giants game is New York -190 / Washington +170 at the Westgate, but it's New York -210 / Washingto +180 at William Hill. So which moneyline do you use?

Using the fair money line that's listed might be enough for you, again, depending upon what you're trying to accomplish.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 22nd, 2015 at 1:29:20 PM permalink
To add to that, each sports books are is pretty consistent about what money lines to give to what point spread. A friend of mine who worked for one of them showed me a simple chart to make the conversion. However, the different sports books tend to do it differently. You tend to get good prices on underdog money lines at MGM, Wynn, and Caesars and good prices on favorites at the Westgate (formerly Hilton/LVH).
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
shinywetsock
shinywetsock
September 22nd, 2015 at 3:20:55 PM permalink
Thanks for the response.

I've avoided using spread-moneyline converters/tables because, as I understand it, the process isn't that straightforward. A description of the issue is here:

Understood that money lines will be different depending on the source. I suppose ideally, I'd be happy if I could just find a consistent source for all the lines (For example, Caesars may have been issuing lines since 1978)....that might be too optimistic, so a consensus source would do.

At this point I'll probably have to settle for your idea about just using the fair money lines, which is probably "close enough".
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:35:42 AM permalink
Quote: shinywetsock

At this point I'll probably have to settle for your idea about just using the fair money lines, which is probably "close enough".

Let's say the point spread is 7. I show the fair money line on the dog to be +254. Generally, I find the actual money lines to be close to fair on the dog and awful on the favorite. In the case of a 7-point spread, the average moneys you would see would be dog +250, favorite -310, in my opinion.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: