No votes (0%)
2 votes (15.38%)

13 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
January 5th, 2014 at 7:27:23 PM permalink
In getting read to analyze Super Bowl props, I noticed something strange about the Lions/Eagles game in week 14. There were eight touchdowns in that game and in every single one of them a two-point conversion was tried. I submit a possible reason was that it was snowing hard that game. Also note there were zero field goals.

This is important to me because I often bet the NO on a 2-point conversion in the Super Bowl. This year it will be held in New Jersey in the outdoors.

Also, if anyone here works at Yahoo, please tell them their box score for that game has a mistake. They list the first 2-point conversion of the first touchdown in the fourth quarter as a separate touchdown. In other words, if you count touchdowns you'll see 9, when there were only 8.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
January 5th, 2014 at 7:39:30 PM permalink
I would say snow

today in greenbay field goals were successful on a frozen hard field at 5 degree temps/

But when there is significant snow on the field.... I guess the chance of a icy slippery snap, or a slip by the kicker was more likely than missing a 2 pointer in the minds of those who make those decisions.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
January 5th, 2014 at 7:40:08 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 7:43:13 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

They did not allow PAT's due to the weather.

Really?! How often does this happen?
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
January 5th, 2014 at 7:49:08 PM permalink
It was because of the snow. There were several extra stops in the game to shovel the lines. The Lions even called a time out once, to clear a bit of the field for the kicker to attempt a point after try place kick. He missed.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 5th, 2014 at 7:50:25 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

In getting read to analyze Super Bowl props, I noticed something strange about the Lions/Eagles game in week 14. There were eight touchdowns in that game and in every single one of them a two-point conversion was tried.

Quote:

Also, if anyone here works at Yahoo, please tell them their box score for that game has a mistake.

Don't trust Yahoo; they suck.

According to the recap on nfl.com, they only tried 2-pointers on 7 of the 8 TDs. Also, according to the stats on nfl.com, Akers was 0/1 on PATs. According to the box score on nfl.com, the Lions tried a PAT after their final TD, and it was blocked.

I didn't actually watch the game, but I'd trust stats from nfl.com over Yahoo sports any day.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 5th, 2014 at 7:50:36 PM permalink
There was like 6-8 inches of snow on the field. The ball would probably have sunk into the snow when placing it for a kick. Think of playing golf and having your ball buried in a sand trap. Typically the ball doesn't travel very far when you try to get it out
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 5th, 2014 at 8:23:32 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

It was because of the snow. There were several extra stops in the game to shovel the lines. The Lions even called a time out once, to clear a bit of the field for the kicker to attempt a point after try place kick. He missed.

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 5th, 2014 at 8:26:36 PM permalink
Wizard,

I think you might keep this website in mind; it was designed by meteorologists to track Superbowl weather and give historical data for the area near that stadium.

They're saying the temperature should be somewhere between 12 and 34 degrees Farenheit, and the chance of significant snow (greater than 1 inch) was about 9%. But I expect they'll be among the earliest to provide a solid forecast, about 5 to 6 days ahead of the game.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
kewlj
kewlj
January 5th, 2014 at 8:29:53 PM permalink
The ball was blocked because it never got more than about 5 feet off the ground. Because there was so much snow on the ground, 4-6 inches, if you placed the ball down, it would sink into the snow, meaning the kicker was kicking the top half of the fall and couldn't get under it to lift it. Then lions has their offensive linemen clear a spot on the field, but it still didn't help.

Similarly with kick offs, neither kicker could get any 'lift' on the ball and every kick was a squib type kick, not getting more than a few feet in the air.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 5th, 2014 at 8:41:26 PM permalink
Good comments, thanks. What do the rules of football say about bringing out a shovel to clear a place for the kicker to put the ball?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 5th, 2014 at 8:49:40 PM permalink

Good comments, thanks. What do the rules of football say about bringing out a shovel to clear a place for the kicker to put the ball?

Oh, you are bringing back memories of the Patriots-Dolphins snowmobile game back in the 80's (I think?)

Those Pats have always been cheaters...
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
January 5th, 2014 at 8:50:10 PM permalink
The rules say players can use their hands and feet but no tools and no one else.
kewlj
kewlj
January 5th, 2014 at 8:55:34 PM permalink

The announcers addressed that during the game. What the new england grounds crew did a decade ago, clearing a spot is no longer allowed. Grounds crews are only permitted to clear a straight line across the field in an attempt to show the yard lines. Players on the field are permitted to try to clear a spot using their feet, but cannot use any other equipment, including their helmets to do so.

There were two issues in that Philly Detroit game. One was a normal snow-bad weather situation of the kicker not being able to plant his foot. His plant foot would slip. The second was what I already mentioned, because the snow was so deep, they couldn't get under the ball to get any lift on it.
  • Jump to: