michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
November 2nd, 2013 at 1:46:54 AM permalink
Now that NBA and NHL seasons are in full swing I'll share a little betting trend that's made me some nice profits over the past 14 years.

Back in 1998 I was watching a Rangers vs Bruins hockey game on tv and I overheard the announcer (a former player) say that the first home game for a team following a long road trip is much more difficult to play than any actual road game is. Reason being, the players just got back home, had to travel from that last road city they played in back to their home city, get back to being settled in their houses with their family's ..wives ..kids etc., and then before they know it they have to head out to the arena at 7pm to play a game. Returning home sometimes has distractions that go along with it and the players may not be entirely focused on the game.

The key is, the game is lined by the oddsmakers as a normal run of the mill home game, with the usual home team point spread bias.

So the system is, bet against a team returning from a road trip of 4 or more games, but ONLY when there is no day off between the final game of TGE road trip and the first home game.

I've been tracking this for a long time, and game after game after game you see these home teams come out flat as can be in the first quarter or first period and fall behind quicly. I usually will bet the first half also in the nba games and that's had an even higher success rate than the full game bets
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 2nd, 2013 at 5:43:30 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Now that NBA and NHL seasons are in full swing I'll share a little betting trend that's made me some nice profits over the past 14 years.

Back in 1998 I was watching a Rangers vs Bruins hockey game on tv and I overheard the announcer (a former player) say that the first home game for a team following a long road trip is much more difficult to play than any actual road game is. Reason being, the players just got back home, had to travel from that last road city they played in back to their home city, get back to being settled in their houses with their family's ..wives ..kids etc., and then before they know it they have to head out to the arena at 7pm to play a game. Returning home sometimes has distractions that go along with it and the players may not be entirely focused on the game.

The key is, the game is lined by the oddsmakers as a normal run of the mill home game, with the usual home team point spread bias.

So the system is, bet against a team returning from a road trip of 4 or more games, but ONLY when there is no day off between the final game of TGE road trip and the first home game.

I've been tracking this for a long time, and game after game after game you see these home teams come out flat as can be in the first quarter or first period and fall behind quicly. I usually will bet the first half also in the nba games and that's had an even higher success rate than the full game bets

you said you have been tracking it. Do you have data that you can post that shows how big of an advantage it is. Are you playing all teams or just the ones you know well? I assume that you are playing the spread and not moneyline?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 2nd, 2013 at 7:35:41 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

you said you have been tracking it. Do you have data that you can post that shows how big of an advantage it is. Are you playing all teams or just the ones you know well? I assume that you are playing the spread and not moneyline?

In my humble and not experienced opinion, the proof can be an exercise for the student; I think he's said plenty of very useful information.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:11:23 AM permalink
This is very useful. And I found the same outcomes from time to time.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:15:10 AM permalink
and what if the visiting team out on the road away from wives and girlfirends....goes out to strip clubs while the poor guy who was out on the road
is going through the ordeal of sleeping in his own bed
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:39:11 AM permalink
Quote: LarryS

and what if the visiting team out on the road away from wives and girlfirends....goes out to strip clubs while the poor guy who was out on the road
is going through the ordeal of sleeping in his own bed

Larry serious discussion only. We might be on to something big. I mean big money. More than our bet. Michael99000, data please? Maybe PM me. Thanks
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:55:27 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

In my humble and not experienced opinion, the proof can be an exercise for the student; I think he's said plenty of very useful information.

In my personal experience, my dad had a regular road schedule from when I was 6 until graduating high school, and there were 4 of us in 4 years; he was on the road from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon, then Thursday morning through Friday night late. My mom had to do all the day-to-day kid policing/detail management, and we had a strong "Wait 'til your father gets home!" pattern of discipline. They had to negotiate a workable marriage many times as things happened and my mom had to decide alone, do some things, defer others; it's my recollection that they talked every day, but that was part of the negotiation they arrived at through trial and error.

As a married ATC, my work-frame was so intense that I had to have decompression time (usually less than an hour, but critical events could pre-occupy my mind for days) before I could even think about being rational about non-work decisions and issues. I also had to have lead-up time to get into a work-mode frame of mind, because plugging in with non-ATC issues foremost at any time leads to real disaster (documented in way too many cases; it's now routinely a point of accident/incident/error investigation). I had to make a careful negotiation about this with my spouse after several serious misunderstandings in the early years allowed us to identify the issue.

I would think sports on a professional level would have at least similar, if not even more intense hyperfocus requirements than air traffic, and involve many of the same distractions coupled with strong emotions my parents and similarly, my spouse and I faced. (Speaking of faced; Face, you might weigh in on this, since you played baseball on a pro/semi-pro level. I can't recall if you ever specified how far you went, but you've been there.)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 2nd, 2013 at 10:28:50 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I would think sports on a professional level would have at least similar, if not even more intense hyperfocus requirements than air traffic, and involve many of the same distractions coupled with strong emotions my parents and similarly, my spouse and I faced. (Speaking of faced; Face, you might weigh in on this, since you played baseball on a pro/semi-pro level. I can't recall if you ever specified how far you went, but you've been there.)

Sports for me have always been an escape. A big draw for me is that escapism; when I'm on the field or the ice, it's difficult to think of much else. I recall a game where I found my great grandfather has died just two hours before I was to take the field. Missing that game never crossed my mind, I couldn't wait to get out there. And I was a man possessed.

Any grief or stress or hassle of life is fuel for the field. There was nothing worse for the opposing team than for me to have a fight with the wife before I left, or even better, on the way to the game. On my own, I'm already pretty intense. Get me fired up, and I'm a monster. Granted, that doesn't always mean I'm "better", as I'm more likely to take penalties or go for the big hit as opposed to making the smart play, but I'm sure not out there distracted in a fog. I think that's pretty common, just look at Favre after his father died.

Having said that, travel is much different. There are occasions where I've had to travel up to 20 hours to get to the next game, and it certainly has an effect. Getting angry at the commute is a different process than being angry at the spouse. One fills me with energy, one drains it. You don't have your favorite foods and drinks at your fingertips, you don't have your favorite relaxin' chair, you don't have your own bed and linens... all the things that you have to conserve and replenish energy are gone. You're mentally scrambled from navigation and the hassles of the road. Even on trips that have been a blast, even when I arrive fired up and excited about the game, there's a definite and noticeable change in mental state.

But that's me. Having been around so many athletes, every one of them has their own hangups. I knew one guy that needed a green 32oz Gatorade and two pieces of spearmint gum from a fresh pack every time he started. Can't find green in a 32oz and he damn near had a meltdown. Still others need things just so. Get all the way to the point of tying his skates and mess up the knot, and he had to completely disrobe and start over again. And he was a goalie, where getting dressed is a 20 minute process.

Athletes are weird. Every bit as much as the craps players who can't hear "7" uttered or "lose their concentration" if there's a buy in the middle of the roll. Personally, all the side show stuff never bothered me. But I know enough of them to say that yeah, there's probably something to the OP.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
LarryS
LarryS
November 2nd, 2013 at 3:46:42 PM permalink
professional athleletes in the major sports dont know what real life pressure is. If they win the game or dont win the game they are still millionaires with the perfect family, summer homes, nannies. After the season they go off to europe, the islands, etc whle the fans call sports talk radio and agonize over every bad break of the season.
Playing a game that pays millions whether you win or lose has no pressure compared to the every day joe blow working to supports a family with 2 jobs, while the wife works also.

players on the road living a party life and visiting strip clubs or having a private party is not out of the ordinary. SO I am not kidding, id anyone thinks there is stress on the body when a fellow gets home and sleeps in his own bed, rather than the road team sleeping in a hotel with the distractions of the road..i dont see the advantage one way or the other.

If you are looking at teams playing 2 days in a row, or 3 out of 4 nites..Ican see the fatigue factor from playing and betting accordingly. But to make up some story about a players great stress of coming home..that is just some psycho-babble that is more for psychiatrists than for the general betting public.

I tend to bet againsT some hockey teams this point in the season that play 2 nights in a row...due to the fatigue factor. I dont care if they are coming home or going on the road.

the professional athelete flys in the comfort ofprivate jets, has their luggage delivered to the hotel. gets driven to and from the airpoort...they dont lift a finger. Its not like you and me traveling and going thru the hassel of carrying lugage from the parling garage to the terminal, waiting in long lines at the airport, waiting in long lines to claim luggage, rending a car,...its all very easy to "travel" for the professiona athelete. They are not cramped on the plane, better food than we are used to on the planes. They stay in very nice hotels with the best accomodations. Puleese...dont tell me how tough it is for the professional athelete and comare their plight to the average working Joe living from paycheck to paycheck out on the road till the exhaused guy gets home from being overworked on top of the stress of travel.

Maybe when the aktheletes gethome they are energized by seeing his family. Who the heck knows. Once you start to think you can psycho-analyze atheletes, you are in trouble
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 2nd, 2013 at 3:52:48 PM permalink
" The key is, the game is lined by the oddsmakers as a normal run of the mill home game, with the usual home team point spread bias. "

Not true, never was true. Even back in the 50's, when teams traveled by train to East Coast games, previous road games, long home stand, etc were often factored in. Yeah, you can high big wins with such a systems and big losses too.
All too often gamblers have selective memories. And then they were so unlucky to lose on a freak play, but it was the right thing when that freak play made them winners.

" So the system is, bet against a team returning from a road trip of 4 or more games, but ONLY when there is no day off between the final game of TGE road trip and the first home game."

And the results were ? ? ? ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
LarryS
LarryS
November 2nd, 2013 at 4:25:05 PM permalink
I agree with the Buzz man

show some proof that the man dosent take back to back games into account

how do we know that the man issues the same exact line no matter what.

we dont

its just a declaration by someone
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 2nd, 2013 at 4:33:13 PM permalink
I have known a few gamblers who have won big time over many years. But damn few. Most had inside info and/or access to a nickle line. Once computers starting showing up in the 80's, even obscure games were more accurate. Of course the NFL came out with official injury reports, bookies can access local papers on the internet, and strange betting patterns are soon exposed.

But do I think there are some systems that can be profitable. Sure do. But when you start talking about numerous plays every weekend.
Forget about it ! And if you are into parleys, there is no hope for you at all.

Never understood why with so many games, so many days to bet, a person is compelled to give the bookie a bigger edge. Instead of doing your own parlays on different days , if parlay you must.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
michael99000
michael99000
November 2nd, 2013 at 7:21:12 PM permalink
Anyone who thinks the lines on those games first home games after a trip, are not set like a normal home game is saying it without doing any actual fact finding. Perhaps just for the sake of disagreeing.

But I'll go ahead and provide a perfect example proving them wrong.

During the 2012-2013 season the Spurs had a 9 game road trip in February. The final game on the trip was @ Phoenix and the line was Spurs -9.

The first home game after returning was against...Phoenix. And the line was Spurs -16.5 , so yea, I'd say the linesmakers ever so slightly adjusted that line to account for the spurs being home.

Oh and by the way, as for the system itself in that example, the play was to bet Phoenix +16.5.

Final score Spurs 105 Suns 101 in overtime
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 2nd, 2013 at 7:48:58 PM permalink

Anyone who thinks the lines on those games first home games after a trip, are not set like a normal home game is saying it without doing any actual fact finding. Perhaps just for the sake of disagreeing.

During the 2012-2013 season the Spurs had a 9 game road trip in February. The final game on the trip was @ Phoenix and the line was Spurs -9.

The first home game after returning was against...Phoenix. And the line was Spurs -16.5 , so yea, I'd say the linesmakers ever so slightly adjusted that line to account for the spurs being home.

Oh and by the way, as for the system itself in that example, the play was to bet Phoenix +16.5.

Final score Spurs 105 Suns 101 in overtime

How long have you been betting these and what is your record?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
LarryS
LarryS
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:42:52 PM permalink
there are hundreds of opportunities each year to bet this so called fact that the man doesnt take into account.

recounting a single game in a single season is amusing

how about a recap of the last 3 years.

"the road" isnt a big issue (other than football)

its not like the old days in baseball where people traveled by train, and carried their own bags, and ate rotten food

the atheletes are pampered with private jets and other people handling evey detail

I will take into account back to back playing days, or 3 out of 4 days ...but where those games take place as far as coming back from travel doesnt interest me

unless of course there is some real documented evidence

so far just anecdotal stories
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 2nd, 2013 at 9:10:17 PM permalink
Waiting for data.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 2nd, 2013 at 9:10:48 PM permalink
I concede. 1 game proves the system for sure.

But what is this I ask ?

58 Feb 24, 2013 Spurs @ Phoenix Suns W 97 - 87 won 1 45 - 13
59 Feb 27, 2013 Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns L 101 - 105 OT

Seems like 2 days off and THE SYSTEM is for no days off. MY MY

And since the Spurs had beat Phoenix by 10 at Phoenix, and that was at the end of a 9 game road trip, well, after 2 days rest and at home, -16.5 does not seem unreasnable line to me.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 2nd, 2013 at 9:27:23 PM permalink
" I usually will bet the first half also in the nba games and that's had an even higher success rate than the full game bets "

And the success rates are ? ?

Hopefully more accurate than your example !

michael99000
michael99000
November 2nd, 2013 at 11:36:06 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

there are hundreds of opportunities each year to bet this so called fact that the man doesnt take into account.

recounting a single game in a single season is amusing

/q]

No there's not even close to 100, let alone hundredS.There's about 25-30 at most. Usually more like 15-20.

Once again Larry saying something just to say it, without having done a minute of checking LOL

next time check your facts

michael99000
michael99000
November 2nd, 2013 at 11:42:29 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

I concede. 1 game proves the system for sure.

But what is this I ask ?

58 Feb 24, 2013 Spurs @ Phoenix Suns W 97 - 87 won 1 45 - 13
59 Feb 27, 2013 Spurs vs. Phoenix Suns L 101 - 105 OT

Seems like 2 days off and THE SYSTEM is for no days off. MY MY

And since the Spurs had beat Phoenix by 10 at Phoenix, and that was at the end of a 9 game road trip, well, after 2 days rest and at home, -16.5 does not seem unreasnable line to me.

You just pointed out that the fact the second game was at home was a factor in the spread being 16.5 as opposed to 9.5, which is the point I was making to begin with. Larry
claimed that the oddsmakers know enough to treat that first home game like its a road game and make the spread accordingly. In that case it would've been much closer to the 9 they were giving in Phoenix
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
November 3rd, 2013 at 1:30:21 AM permalink
The St. Louis Cardinals team plane was on the tarmac in St. Louis for something like four hours. Mechanical issue. They arrived late at night in Boston. You know the rest of the story.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 3rd, 2013 at 7:52:05 AM permalink

You just pointed out that the fact the second game was at home was a factor in the spread being 16.5 as opposed to 9.5, which is the point I was making to begin with. Larry
claimed that the oddsmakers know enough to treat that first home game like its a road game and make the spread accordingly. In that case it would've been much closer to the 9 they were giving in Phoenix

They had two days off after the road trips. This game has nothing to do with your system. Do they need a week off to have a home court advantage ?
You talk about Larry's information. Where the hell is yours? If it's only 15 to 25 games last season, why not provide those games and the results ? ? ?

Then you might get some respect. Now you are just posting assumptions and guesses.
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 3rd, 2013 at 7:56:52 AM permalink

They had two days off after the road trips. This game has nothing to do with your system. Do they need a week off to have a home court advantage ?
You talk about Larry's information. Where the hell is yours? If it's only 15 to 25 games last season, why not provide those games and the results ? ? ?

Then you might get some respect. Now you are just posting assumptions and guesses.

Still waiting for data.
It is a GOOD THEORY until proven. thanks everybody.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 3rd, 2013 at 8:08:07 AM permalink
Michael.....
Your proposed betting method is what makes this forum great. But this is a tough crowd here. You've said you have been making money with it for 14 years. So you must keep records? What I'd like to hear is something like this....

"In the NBA last year there were 30 such games. My system correctly picked the winner against the spread 18 times. The 30 such games were...."
"In the NHL there were 42 such games. My system picked the winner 21 times. However, since in the NHL I was betting money lines, and more often than not the underdog, I ended up 11 betting units..."

Giving the forum the specific games lets the members analyze your claim coherently. It seems like the one example you cite doesnt even meet your own criteria......
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 3rd, 2013 at 8:20:34 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Michael.....
Your proposed betting method is what makes this forum great. But this is a tough crowd here. You've said you have been making money with it for 14 years. So you must keep records? What I'd like to hear is something like this....

"In the NBA last year there were 30 such games. My system correctly picked the winner against the spread 18 times. The 30 such games were...."
"In the NHL there were 42 such games. My system picked the winner 21 times. However, since in the NHL I was betting money lines, and more often than not the underdog, I ended up 11 betting units..."

Giving the forum the specific games lets the members analyze your claim coherently. It seems like the one example you cite doesnt even meet your own criteria......

Michael99000: Your post was great. That is why I am at this forum. We are here to discuss/share/explore our thoughts,theory or questions. We are not here to pound/discourage you but please provide more data.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 3rd, 2013 at 4:50:27 PM permalink
SOOPOO You are asking for too much info. He gave a game already. Of course it did not fit the formula. After defeating a team by 10 points on the road in the 9th game of a road trip, that team came home, slept in their own beds the next 2 nights, then played the following night and the bookies thought now that the team was home and well rested they made the line 16.5 points.

The visitor won by 4. What more proof do you need that bookies are incompetent when making the line ?
LarryS
LarryS
November 3rd, 2013 at 5:18:25 PM permalink
In the patrick handicapping book, he gives the angle that when players come home from a roadtrip, they have to have alot of sex with the wife or girlfriend to prove that they were good boys on the road....and this leads to a tired team for the first game back

everyone has an "angle".....but few seem to win

others feel "traveling" is so taxing on these pampered millionaires that when they g et home they just want to sleep in, and not play

its all psycho babble assuming we can get into the minds of these people or even have a glimmer of understanding of what they do on a daily basis

people can play below par becaus ethey have family issues that keep them up all night when they are home. and people can play below par because they use the road as one big party vehicle....and max out on the party life.

who knows which team has the most people tired from travel or family life vs party on the road exhaustion of the other team.

if anyone claims they really know...its all assumptions
michael99000
michael99000
November 3rd, 2013 at 5:27:04 PM permalink
Here's another example:

11/10/07 Phoenix L 96-106 Regular Season L 1.5 U 209
11/09/07 @ New York W 112-102 Regular Season W 1 O 201
11/07/07 @ Toronto W 105-96 Regular Season W 4.5 O 191.5
11/06/07 @ Minnesota W 111-103 Regular Season W -6.5 O 188
11/03/07 @ Washington W 94-82 Regular Season W 1.5 U 198

4 game road trip for Orlando. Fly from New York to Phoenix, play a game on no rest, they are a 1.5 point dog, and lose by 10. And that's coming off a trip where they won and covered
4 games in 6 nights.

Furthermore, three weeks later they played Phoenix again and the line was Orlando +5.5 , meaning that yes the first game back was treated like a home game.

So buzzard, I believe this one covers the no days rest criteria as well as shows the line is in fact treated like a normal home game
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 3rd, 2013 at 5:42:14 PM permalink
Yeah, nothing changes in 3 weeks. Still waiting for more than a one game PROOF. I can show lots of one game proofs. Bet on team with most letters in their name, purples uniforms on a snowy night, etc.
michael99000
michael99000
November 3rd, 2013 at 5:52:05 PM permalink

Yeah, nothing changes in 3 weeks. Still waiting for more than a one game PROOF. I can show lots of one game proofs. Bet on team with most letters in their name, purples uniforms on a snowy night, etc.

Lol one thing I've learned for certain is you've got zero knowledge of NBA point spreads and how they are determined. But don't let that fact stop you from commenting.

And yes, nothing changed in 3 weeks. I checked the box score , all the key players who would affect the point spread played in both games. The difference in those two lines is obviously due to which team was home in each game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 3rd, 2013 at 5:57:03 PM permalink
Still waiting for more than one game. Yeah, I know nothing, never collected for two of biggest books on each coast.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
NokTang
NokTang
November 3rd, 2013 at 10:58:22 PM permalink

Still waiting for more than one game. Yeah, I know nothing, never collected for two of biggest books on each coast.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Could we get some locks for tonight or tomorrow night, even next week would be nice, please? Coming up with this stuff in the past when the results are known isn't exactly making me rich. Thanks.
NokTang
NokTang
November 3rd, 2013 at 11:27:23 PM permalink

Here's another example:

11/10/07 Phoenix L 96-106 Regular Season L 1.5 U 209
11/09/07 @ New York W 112-102 Regular Season W 1 O 201
11/07/07 @ Toronto W 105-96 Regular Season W 4.5 O 191.5
11/06/07 @ Minnesota W 111-103 Regular Season W -6.5 O 188
11/03/07 @ Washington W 94-82 Regular Season W 1.5 U 198

4 game road trip for Orlando. Fly from New York to Phoenix, play a game on no rest, they are a 1.5 point dog, and lose by 10. And that's coming off a trip where they won and covered
4 games in 6 nights.

Hi Michael. Thanks for your input and making us think. I'm confused as to why Orlando would be in Phoenix as a home game? Wouldn't they fly from New York to Orlando? Thanks.
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 12:38:14 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Hi Michael. Thanks for your input and making us think. I'm confused as to why Orlando would be in Phoenix as a home game? Wouldn't they fly from New York to Orlando? Thanks.

That's correct, the post should've said they flied from New York to Orlando, then played a home game vs Phoenix. Thanks for correcting that.
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 12:49:56 AM permalink
2005-2006 PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

02/22/06 Charlotte L 106-110 Regular Season L -3.5 O 190

02/21/06 @ L.A. Lakers L 82-99 Regular Season L 11.5 U 195.5
02/15/06 @ New Orleans. L 86-102 Regular Season L 9 P 188
02/13/06 @ Charlotte W 91-83 Regular Season W 3.5 U 192.5
02/12/06 @ Toronto L 81-114 Regular Season L 7 U 199.5
02/10/06 @ Boston L 83-115 Regular Season L 5.5 O 185
02/08/06 @ Indiana L 69-101 Regular Season L 6.5 U 179
02/04/06 @ Denver L 104-105 Regular Season W 10 O 191
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 12:55:40 AM permalink
2008-2009 HOUSTON ROCKETS

12/27/08 Utah W 120-115 OT Regular Season L -9 O 191
12/26/08 @ New Orleans L 79-88 Regular Season L 2.5 U 184.5
12/23/08 @ Cleveland. L 90-99 Regular Season L 7.5 O 186.5
12/22/08 @ New Jersey W 114-91 Regular Season W -5.5 O 197.5
12/20/08 @ Minnesota W 109-102 Regular Season W -5.5 O 192

Giving 9 in the first home game after the trip and didn't cover.
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 1:11:54 AM permalink
The first example this season will occur when Washington returns home from a 4 game trip to play Detroit on 12-28 with no day off.

Each team has between 0 and 2 of these situations per season. So I'd say Larry's assessment that there are "LITERALLY 100s OF THESE OPPORTUNITIES TO BET EACH SEASON"...
May have been just a bit off.
LarryS
LarryS
November 4th, 2013 at 8:53:50 AM permalink
In the age of the internet and acess to data and stats, its very hard to believe some "angle" has not been discovered already. And if it were exploitable, it would be out there and the man would have made adjustments....maybe even eliminating from betting.

I hear aLL these people with stats on sports radio

any east team that lost by 10points or more 2 days after playing a west coast team on the road, has covered th spread on their saturday game 76 percent of the time.

you get these convoluded statistical "angles" all the time.

so something as simple as road trip/very next game home is out there as well I am sure. The fact that I havent heard about it till now makes me wonder how did all these statistical geniouses miss it. I mean they can tell me the percent of covers of teams that lose to a divisional foe on tuesdays, but have to play a game on wed.in the afternoon. They can tell me the history covering for a team that has suffered 10 sacksd, while losing by more than 20 the week before.

These multibillion casinos who can hire the best of the best statistics analyzers...do not see they are vulnerable in this "angle" about the first day back from a road trip???

really?

All the books, on handicapping I read havent gotten the memo on this "angle" either.

cherry picking a few examples doesnt do anything.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 4th, 2013 at 9:11:44 AM permalink
Larry, please do not confuse this issue with facts. The OP has proven that bookies are stupid.

And he has been too busy collecting his winning to keep any records.
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 4th, 2013 at 9:18:44 AM permalink

Larry, please do not confuse this issue with facts. The OP has proven that bookies are stupid.

And he has been too busy collecting his winning to keep any records.

You guys are BRUTAL with a capital B
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 4th, 2013 at 9:27:52 AM permalink
What is brutal about a simple request for documentation for last season ?

" Now that NBA and NHL seasons are in full swing I'll share a little betting trend that's made me some nice profits over the past 14 years."
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 4th, 2013 at 9:30:32 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Michael.....

NOT EXACTLY A "BRUTAL " REQUEST, BUT TOTALLY IGNORED !
speedycrap
speedycrap
November 4th, 2013 at 10:10:42 AM permalink
Let's give him a week to come up with something.
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 4th, 2013 at 11:18:17 AM permalink
Seems fair enough, but expect to be disappointed. 14 years of fuzzy memory is more likely.
NokTang
NokTang
November 4th, 2013 at 3:36:40 PM permalink

2008-2009 HOUSTON ROCKETS

12/27/08 Utah W 120-115 OT Regular Season L -9 O 191
12/26/08 @ New Orleans L 79-88 Regular Season L 2.5 U 184.5
12/23/08 @ Cleveland. L 90-99 Regular Season L 7.5 O 186.5
12/22/08 @ New Jersey W 114-91 Regular Season W -5.5 O 197.5
12/20/08 @ Minnesota W 109-102 Regular Season W -5.5 O 192

Giving 9 in the first home game after the trip and didn't cover.

In this example, it seems Houston would have come home after the Cleveland game, not stayed in New Orleans Christmas Eve and Christmas day when they didn't have a game?
NokTang
NokTang
November 4th, 2013 at 3:40:29 PM permalink

2005-2006 PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS

02/22/06 Charlotte L 106-110 Regular Season L -3.5 O 190

02/21/06 @ L.A. Lakers L 82-99 Regular Season L 11.5 U 195.5
02/15/06 @ New Orleans. L 86-102 Regular Season L 9 P 188
02/13/06 @ Charlotte W 91-83 Regular Season W 3.5 U 192.5
02/12/06 @ Toronto L 81-114 Regular Season L 7 U 199.5
02/10/06 @ Boston L 83-115 Regular Season L 5.5 O 185
02/08/06 @ Indiana L 69-101 Regular Season L 6.5 U 179
02/04/06 @ Denver L 104-105 Regular Season W 10 O 191

Again, at the least? it seems after the New Orleans game they would have gone back to Portland. Not bunked up in L.A. for four or five nights?

This brings me to the question "what do you consider a "road trip""?
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 4th, 2013 at 4:07:39 PM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

You guys are BRUTAL with a capital B

It is a necessary evil. If you put your hard earned money on a system play, the bookie is a nice man, but he will keep your money.
All sort of BS artist have a winning system until challenged to show some proof. The OP said 14 years, laid out a format, then his 1st example did not meet the requirements at all.

This is followed up by a game one year, another 2 years later, etc. Cherry picking is the term for such a display. Did he keep any records at all ? Instead of looking up a game this year then 3 years ago then 7 years ago, why not look at last year as a starting point.

Hopefully this brutal approach has saved some people from buying a system or losing money on a free system. Actually, I can only speak for myself, but I would like nothing more than a system that has worked for 14 years, Even with only 15 or 20 plays a year in Nba and I guess the same in NHL.

But it's that old story Money Talks and BS walks.
LarryS
LarryS
November 4th, 2013 at 4:42:36 PM permalink
I agree, using the word "brutal" is just a recognition that the guy is not doing very well in defending his position. He makes it "brutal" on himself.

There are people out there just dying to believe in a ":system".....they are the one constantly chasing the newest system, trying it out,, losing and then on to the next new system du jour.

someone has to ask for scientific proof.

John Patrick has a website and methods based almost entirely on declaration. No scoentific proof is provided.

he makes good money selling a sports service that has no basis for success...jusr declaration.

although this person here is not looking for money.....we still can be skeptical in a healthy way.
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 5:22:56 PM permalink
Quote: NokTang

In this example, it seems Houston would have come home after the Cleveland game, not stayed in New Orleans Christmas Eve and Christmas day when they didn't have a game?

I highly doubt that. With a game on the day after Christmas, they aren't going to fly home after the game on 12-23 and then have to fly back out on Christmas Day. And they don't fly on the actual day of a game. Teams on a road trip during holidays often spend the holiday on the road. And if they did, that just creates 6 flights in 8 days, which would make playing the 4th and 5th games back to back even more difficult.
michael99000
michael99000
November 4th, 2013 at 5:26:44 PM permalink
MEMPHIS 2006-2007

01/27/07 Portland L 132-135 (OT) Regular Season L -3.5 O 209.5
01/26/07 @ San Antonio L 96-112 Regular Season L 14 U 210.5
01/24/07 @ Utah W 132-130 (OT) Regular Season W 11.5 O 219.5
01/22/07 @ Denver L 98-115 Regular Season L 12 U 233
01/20/07 @ L.A. Clippers L 91-112 Regular Season L 6.5 U 222.5
  • Jump to: