binary128
binary128
  • Threads: 5
September 21st, 2013 at 8:09:03 AM permalink
We have made the decision to build what Mike, on his Wizard Of Odds site, has named "Australian Pontoon".

I don't know (read: haven't played) the game. I also don't know Spanish 21 (aka Spanish Blackjack).

So, I asked Eliot Jacobson if he knew anything. He bounced me to "one of the world’s top experts on the game", whom I promptly emailed. Things are thus in the works.

As sometimes happens, I then had a thought. There appears to be a lot of ways you can spec an Australian Pontoon game. I also inferred from other reading that some people consider some specs an absolute requirement for the game - other people consider other specs an absolute requirement.

So, my thought - build two versions. Label one a "Perth Version" (with Spec Set 1) and the other a "Sydney Version" (with Spec Set 2). (Or a "Brisbane Version", or a "Melbourne Version").

Would anyone care to wade into this one? For instance, are there "national rivalries" (like Boston and New York, or New York and "Anyone Else") in Australia?

Chris
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 21st, 2013 at 9:02:16 AM permalink
A Spanish deck is simply an ordinary deck with the four 10s removed. In the USA, as in Australia, the key to a player having a decent chance is for the player to know all the rules and footnotes and exceptions and alternatives to be exploited.

Each game is good for the house against a knowledgeable player, each game is great for the house against a player who is not fully knowledgeable or not fully sober.
binary128
binary128
  • Threads: 5
September 21st, 2013 at 9:32:13 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

A Spanish deck is simply an ordinary deck with the four 10s removed. In the USA, as in Australia, the key to a player having a decent chance is for the player to know all the rules and footnotes and exceptions and alternatives to be exploited.

Each game is good for the house against a knowledgeable player, each game is great for the house against a player who is not fully knowledgeable or not fully sober.

Thanks FleaStiff.

I was hoping to get something along the lines of "Oh yeah, there is a standing rivalry between Perth (West Coast) and Melbourne (East Coast). As a Perth resident, I wouldn't call it "real" Pontoon unless it has Spec A, Spec B, Specs C, D and E."

Chris
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
September 21st, 2013 at 9:40:21 AM permalink
For a brief moment I thought the tread read Australian Poontang......I have no take on Australian Pontoon
Each day is better than the next
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 21st, 2013 at 10:40:51 AM permalink
Quote: binary128

We have made the decision to build what Mike, on his Wizard Of Odds site, has named "Australian Pontoon".

I don't know (read: haven't played) the game. I also don't know Spanish 21 (aka Spanish Blackjack).

So, I asked Eliot Jacobson if he knew anything. He bounced me to "one of the world’s top experts on the game", whom I promptly emailed. Things are thus in the works.

As sometimes happens, I then had a thought. There appears to be a lot of ways you can spec an Australian Pontoon game. I also inferred from other reading that some people consider some specs an absolute requirement for the game - other people consider other specs an absolute requirement.

So, my thought - build two versions. Label one a "Perth Version" (with Spec Set 1) and the other a "Sydney Version" (with Spec Set 2). (Or a "Brisbane Version", or a "Melbourne Version").

Would anyone care to wade into this one? For instance, are there "national rivalries" (like Boston and New York, or New York and "Anyone Else") in Australia?

Chris

I'm guessing that the expert referred to you was Katarina Walker. If it wasn't then look her up.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 21st, 2013 at 12:13:14 PM permalink
Crownmelbourne dot com dot au seems to have the downloadable rules including the rules for an optional Pontoon Pandemonium bet of some sort.

I've no idea of what Perth or Melbourne might consider "real" pontoon but I think you will find that any official house edge is only available to someone who knows all the rules and all the exceptions.

People in Vegas who play Basic Strategy for 21 on a Spanish 21 table do not do very well at all.
  • Jump to: