Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 10
Thanks for this post from:
Joemantringlomane
December 22nd, 2016 at 9:18:25 AM permalink
@ Mr. V I can't tell if that was serious. Though, even if not, it's not so simple anymore with young people. e.g. two young Asians might call each other "nigga," depending on where they live and so forth. Blacks might even use the term for whites. But, applying it to blacks is still best avoided.

When I was a sub, I was at one school where the term was used liberally, and a Latino kid said it to a black kid and it obviously hurt his feelings. The Latino kid said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way," and they happily resumed being pains in my ass.

Anyway, back to the original discussion, it breaks down like this, I think.

If you're cool, you will try not to be insensitive and make a reasonable effort to avoid saying anything hurtful.

That might vary from one situation to the next. Joking around with your friends, vs. what you say to strangers, e.g.

ALSO, if you're cool, you will not try to invent the worst possible intentions for people and create mortal offense where it doesn't need to exist.

So, there are jerks on both sides.

I would do the same thing If I were Bob.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 262
December 22nd, 2016 at 9:38:29 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

@ Mr. V I can't tell if that was serious.

Yes, it was.

Moral relativism.
"What, me worry?"
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 10
December 22nd, 2016 at 10:02:36 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Yes, it was.

Moral relativism.

Moral relativism means something like, basic morality can change depending on who is acting. There are a lot of variations.

That's different from appreciating nuance and context.

The standard account in this case, as with some other terms, like queer, would be that you have a derogatory term, particularly one used by a group that is more powerful, applied to one that is less powerful.

The less powerful group decides to start using the term for themselves, as a way of taking control of it, and the way they are regarded and regard themselves.

So, one obvious distinction: a black person can be reasonably sure that another black person is not saying "nigga" as a way to express the idea that blacks are genetically inferior, or something of that nature. When a non-black uses the term, it's harder to know what they mean. They might even be pretending to use it affectionately, but really be using it with malice.

Maybe something kind of like that has happened in your community or family. Saying, someone is white trash. Saying your family is a bunch of drunks, or failures, or not very smart, or whatever. Or, if you go to a mediocre school and you say, "how smart can I be, I go to Sonoma State?" vs someone who goes to Stanford saying, "how smart can you be you go to Sonoma State?" Someone from the south slyly saying, "what do I know, I'm just a Southern boy," vs. someone from NYC saying something similar.

In certain areas, white ethnic groups do the same thing. "I'm just an old Pollock."

It seems like a pretty common situation to me, though this one is more intense than usual.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
December 22nd, 2016 at 10:59:04 AM permalink

Why should blacks get a bye on this, but not whites?
]

I can call my brother an idiot in front
of you, but you can't do it in front of
me. Same thing.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 115
December 22nd, 2016 at 11:41:03 AM permalink
MrV, I know a guy that can sell you a permit. It's not cheap.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
December 22nd, 2016 at 3:26:50 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

EB. Stop it. Drop it. Right now. You've made your factual point such as it is. Your PM was offensive to terapined. If he's made a complaint over on DT, you may face a suspension there. I don't know.

terapined, I don't have a choice. 3 day suspension for publishing a PM without the concurrence of the author.

There is a one-way application in effect for DT vs WoV. The PM was from there, but made public here, breaking both forum rules. The contents of the PM, if they offended you enough to do so, should be brought to the DT moderators' attention.

I have had a chance to talk to the Wizard about this suspension. It was not his intention, when linking the sites after the sale of this one, that a cross infraction like this would cause a suspension here. So I am reversing my suspension of Terapined at this time.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
December 22nd, 2016 at 3:34:15 PM permalink
Thanks
I was actually going to donate my 10 to the contest due to my suspension
I think I will make some picks
Doesn't really matter because will still lose the 10 either way lol

If anybody is interested, me and EB are going back and forth on this thread
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/2021/0/
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 402
December 22nd, 2016 at 3:34:34 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

So I am reversing my suspension of Terapined at this time.

Thank god. It would be cruel to cut
him off from his family during the
holidays.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
December 22nd, 2016 at 3:37:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Thank god. It would be cruel to cut
him off from his family during the
holidays.

EB goes after Clinton hard
I shrug
I go after Trump hard
EB goes bonkers and makes it personal lol
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 149
December 22nd, 2016 at 3:59:28 PM permalink

There's an unfair double standard here.

Blacks can call each other "nigger" or "niggah" with impunity, but if a white uses the term the PC police will pull their hair out and piss themselves in righteous indignation.

Why should blacks get a bye on this, but not whites?

Hard to believe you've never noticed people with either a lot of things in common, or just one prominent thing act much more relaxed and even throw insults at each other.

Has less to do with race than you might think. It might be funny for another blind person to ask his blind friend how many fingers he is holding up. Is it going to be funny when you do it? Maybe, but probably not.
Being a human cannonball is more than a job. It's a career.

• Jump to: