DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 26th, 2012 at 11:41:34 AM permalink
The wizard mentioned that there are multiple optimal strategies for his One Card Poker game and Bob didn't seem to believe him. Bob seemed to think if he knew the dealer strategy that he could beat it. Michael again disagreed.

I would be interested in knowing more about both of these if anyone has any input.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
October 26th, 2012 at 12:22:02 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

The wizard mentioned that there are multiple optimal strategies for his One Card Poker game and Bob didn't seem to believe him. Bob seemed to think if he knew the dealer strategy that he could beat it. Michael again disagreed.

I would be interested in knowing more about both of these if anyone has any input.

Disclaimer: I saw the game and played it briefly, but i didn't bother to read the dealer's strategy. Nor did I listen to the show. However:

(1) If there is a range of hands where your EV is the same for all actions (or if it's the same for more than one action, and all others have lower EV), then of course there are multiple optimal strategies.

(2) Does Bob think that he can beat any strategy? If so, he is simply wrong, presumably due to a lack of understanding of game theory and poker. IIRC there is a game theory section in Theory of Poker that discusses similar situations. These sort of problems are interesting because they explain why it's important to bluff sometimes when there is already money in the pot (which is what the blind bets accomplish)
  • Jump to: