racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
February 10th, 2020 at 5:48:01 AM permalink
Is there an obscure index play on 8s not included in the I8?

I always split eights. But in a high count there must be a point where surrender or stand is a better option, especially if the dealer has a nine or ten.

I can't find a list of ALL options beyond the I18, and in fact they're so rare that I probably won't try to learn them.

But I faced a dealer's nine against my 8s with a true count of 6 and surrendered since I usually lose courage when the count gets high (10 units out there).

Always split eights? ALWAYS?
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 10th, 2020 at 5:55:16 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

Is there an obscure index play on 8s not included in the I8?

I always split eights. But in a high count there must be a point where surrender or stand is a better option, especially if the dealer has a nine or ten.

I can't find a list of ALL options beyond the I18, and in fact they're so rare that I probably won't try to learn them.

But I faced a dealer's nine against my 8s with a true count of 6 and surrendered since I usually lose courage when the count gets high (10 units out there).

Always split eights? ALWAYS?

For multi deck against a T believe it’s +2 to surrender DAS and +1 otherwise.

Always surrender isn’t a terrible cover play.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
February 10th, 2020 at 6:17:02 AM permalink
I surrendered. Surrender or stay, there would be no difference in the continuing play. The dealer busted. So I lost 5 units instead of winning 10.

If I split I would have busted one of the two hands straight out. Lost track of what the dealer would have ended up with since the play would have been different because I took extra cards.

There's an index play to stand a 16 against a nine at +5. Don't think it takes surrender into account as an option, and it just says "16" not "pair of 8s."

I'm guessing there's an index play down below #18 that's more than just random speculation.If I find it, I'll be sure to remember it the next time because it happened here.
tyler498
tyler498
  • Threads: 20
February 24th, 2020 at 8:31:06 PM permalink
I like surrendering more often on higher counts/higher bets. I even do it slightly below the index when it's better EV to surrender. That's because it has lower variance.
BJ is about trading EV and Variance. If there is a play where you lose a tiny bit of EV and reduce your variance, then do that, the lower variance means you can bet a bit more with the same ROR and get that EV back. Obviously don't overdo it and give up your EV. I mean only on these kinds of situations like 88 vs T or A on + count where you gotta put more money out there.
  • Jump to: