Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 63
Thanks for this post from:
DeMango
August 12th, 2017 at 2:35:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I read it as Collo-Nell every time

If Don S. was alive at the time, I'm sure he'd set the person straight.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"
sixsisters
sixsisters
  • Threads: 0
August 12th, 2017 at 2:40:17 PM permalink
Not about millenial but also about millenials. What did not exist 10 years ago and now 98% of millenials probably have a version of it ???

CLUE " "This is only the beginning."
"Apple reinvents the phone." "
RS
RS 
  • Threads: 49
August 12th, 2017 at 4:48:18 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I read it as Collo-Nell every time

This is the proper pronunciation. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 25
August 12th, 2017 at 5:00:25 PM permalink
Well, I was born in 1984, so according to Google, I am Generation Y. My mother and father who were born in the 60's are Generation X. Generation Z are the people who were born in the 90's-2000s, and very young people(children under 7) are Generation Alpha. :)
Guy "won" less than his bet and the slot machine had the audacity to tell him he got a big win! SMH! Also, the Nintendo cartridge is so much more important than the Nintendo console. Without the cartridge, the Nintendo console is just a useless box.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 32
August 13th, 2017 at 6:10:16 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Generation X is just that . Its the tenth generation of Americans. Somebody decided Roman numerals just sounded better than GenTen.

I don't think so...

Origin of term "Generation X"

Quote: Wikipedia

The term acquired its modern definition after the release of Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, a 1991 novel written by Canadian author Douglas Coupland. Demographer Neil Howe noted the delay in naming this demographic cohort saying, "Over 30 years after their birthday, they didn't have a name. I think that's germane." Previously, the cohort had been referred to as Post-Boomers, Baby Busters, New Lost Generation, Latch-key kids, MTV Generation, and the 13th Generation (they were described as the 13th generation since American independence).

And, who is the "somebody" making decisions about whether or not Roman numerals sound better? Source, please.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
August 13th, 2017 at 7:25:34 AM permalink

Generation X is just that . Its the tenth generation of Americans. Somebody decided Roman numerals just sounded better than GenTen.

I didn't know that. I previously thought it was the algebraic unknown kind of x, as in Malcolm X, because they were hard to stereotype.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 58
August 14th, 2017 at 2:22:42 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

I don't think so...

Origin of term "Generation X"

Quote: Wikipedia

The term acquired its modern definition after the release of Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, a 1991 novel written by Canadian author Douglas Coupland. Demographer Neil Howe noted the delay in naming this demographic cohort saying, "Over 30 years after their birthday, they didn't have a name. I think that's germane." Previously, the cohort had been referred to as Post-Boomers, Baby Busters, New Lost Generation, Latch-key kids, MTV Generation, and the 13th Generation (they were described as the 13th generation since American independence).

And, who is the "somebody" making decisions about whether or not Roman numerals sound better? Source, please.

The author of the very book you site, or maybe his editors. Read it and you'll see how he struggled to come up with the name and how he decided on the Roman numeral. Generations are roughly 20 years, although they are getting longer. People born after 1776 will have had roughly ten generations of descendants when the Bicentennial occurred. The only generation that had even a semi official title was the baby boomers.
Until Generation X and the Greatest Generation came out in a relatively short time, generations just weren't a thing. Just another thing to divide and label people.
I remember asking my Mother what generation she was. She answered they didn't have generations back then. They couldn't afford them.
Last edited by: billryan on Aug 14, 2017
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
August 14th, 2017 at 4:41:26 PM permalink

my Mother... answered they didn't have generations back then. They couldn't afford them.

That's pretty funny, but I always thought the "Lost Generation" started this whole thing. Maybe there were named generations before it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Generation
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
Neutrino
Neutrino
  • Threads: 81
August 14th, 2017 at 5:26:11 PM permalink
I don't see a CSM in that picture of easyjack so I assume this is hella easy to card count

• Jump to: