InTimeForSpace1
InTimeForSpace1
  • Threads: 0
April 20th, 2017 at 5:15:12 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Speaking of long run, how much longer are the admins going to let this banned/former member keep posting?

Perhaps, when the equilibrium of perceived funniness begins to tip the other way? Or, more likely, there's no one left with half a brain to ban. In any event, how many cards in the standard deck of playing cards?
Believers are the ones who keep at it long after they've been told it can't be done. On the other hand, the real experts shouldn't care about the crackpots. But, if the wrong answer begs the question, then the wrong question begs the answer.
QFIT
QFIT
  • Threads: 1
April 20th, 2017 at 5:50:17 PM permalink
Quote: InTimeForSpace1

Perhaps, when the equilibrium of perceived funniness begins to tip the other way? Or, more likely, there's no one left with half a brain to ban. In any event, how many cards in the standard deck of playing cards?

Pinochle: 48
Skat: 32
Sicilian game 7 and 1/2: 40
Eucre: 24, 38, or 32
500: 45
SP21: 48

I'm skipping Chinese games that started in the 1400's

Ahh, you meant standard deck. Generally called French playing cards. Although, when Baccara was introduced into France under Charles VIII (mayhaps celebrating the deaths of Sicilians in the Italian War), I think it had fewer cards. Sorry, I like card games. But, I'm not an historian.
Last edited by: QFIT on Apr 20, 2017
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
InTimeForSpace1
InTimeForSpace1
April 20th, 2017 at 6:15:35 PM permalink
Quote: QFIT

Ahh, you meant standard deck. Generally called French playing cards. Although, when Baccara was introduced into France under Charles VIII (mayhaps celebrating the deaths of Sicilians in the Italian War), I think it had fewer cards. Sorry, I like card games. But, I'm not an historian.

Wrong again. What is it that you know something about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_52-card_deck In any event, I wrote 'the' standard deck.
Believers are the ones who keep at it long after they've been told it can't be done. On the other hand, the real experts shouldn't care about the crackpots. But, if the wrong answer begs the question, then the wrong question begs the answer.
QFIT
QFIT
April 20th, 2017 at 6:26:53 PM permalink
Please, I was only having fun and providing some history. Sorry, don't see the disagreements in that article with anything I posted. If you can see any, please point them out and I'll gladly correct them in the article. as I'm a long time editor of these articles in Wikipedia.
"It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows." -Epictetus
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 83
April 20th, 2017 at 6:42:23 PM permalink

Problem with economic discussions is they always veer towards politics. Not going there.:) But, thanks for the question.

I didn't see my question as being in any way political, but you didn't want to answer, that's okay. I'll try one last one. If I develop a fabulous new food, barbecued turkey gyros, and open a restaurant and they become fantastically popular so that I am able to raise prices very high, so that my markup is 50% more than average in the restaurant business; and then others see my success and 3 more restaurants open in my town featuring barbecued turkey gyros and try to take business away from me by selling at much lower prices; isn't that an example of a free market pressure that causes a return to equilibrium?
everybody wants to go to heaven. but nobody wants to die.
QFIT
QFIT
April 20th, 2017 at 6:49:10 PM permalink
Yes, it is a micro-economic example, and a good one. Keynesian vs. Adam Smith's invisible hand are macroeconomic theories. The complexity is vastly heavier, and these days, unfortunately, political in nature.
InTimeForSpace1
InTimeForSpace1
April 20th, 2017 at 7:40:02 PM permalink

Please, I was only having fun and providing some history.

"The word 'the' is one of the most common words in English. It is our only definite article. Nouns in English are preceded by the definite article when the speaker believes that the listener already knows what he is referring to." The standard deck of playing cards wasn't around in the past to have had fewer cards then. They may have used fewer cards in the past, but those decks are no longer standard. There can be only one standard something at a time. It's not fun to waddle in unclear reasoning for the sake of fluffy history lessons.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 76
April 20th, 2017 at 10:09:03 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Speaking of long run, how much longer are the admins going to let this banned/former member keep posting?

Would you care to PM me with specifics? I'd appreciate it.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."

• Jump to: