LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
February 3rd, 2017 at 6:19:28 PM permalink
OK, now that you're salivating, we've booked 5 days at the MSS for my birthday, and to have a chance to:

1. Play BJ only for the 2nd time in my life! I prefer DD, 3:2 BJ, $5 min, no DAS, no RSA, and dealer hits on S17 - at the Cal). My trip bankroll is small (under $2k for the 5 days); the PEN I've observed last Oct at the Cal was between 60-70%; the HE is 0.60 (but 0.53 if you calculate it on the WoO). I didn't use my card-counting knowledge on my last trip, because I was so nervous and had a hard time adding up the value of 5 cards in my hand! With a $100 buy-in session, I would stop (take a break) at +$40, when I've bet $25 at TC+3, when my loss is $50, or even sooner if conditions warrant it (too much smoke, annoying seat mates, etc.). This time, I'll give card-counting a try with the following ramp (assumes I don't get nervous counting!).

TC<+2 $5
TC +2 $10
TC +3 $20
TC >+3 $25

Open to comments/suggestions!

2. Got an invite for a $15,000 pot VP Tournament (Double Bonus Poker) on the 2nd floor of the Cal. Limited to 150 players, and you get 2 days to play 20 min/1500 credits on each day. Strategy will be go for RFs and 4oak, disregarding basic strategy. I've been practicing at home to get a feel for what it's like being stuck in the chair for 20 min. I'll try to play late/later, if highest scores are posted. I'll avoid using the touch screen. The invite is for 2-5 Apr, and tournament itself is 4 & 5 Apr.

3. With our invite from Boyd Gaming we've selected to stay at MSS. Last Oct 2016 (my first BJ trip), the Cal's tobacco smoke brought down my resistance and I had pneumonia when I returned home. Hoping that MSS is more "airy". To get around and minimize smoke exposure, I'm thinking of just playing head-to-head early in the morning at the Cal when there are no crowds. The Prime Rib? I can Google and look at Yelp like everyone else, but there's nothing like a personal recommendation from someone who's been to Restaurant X. I won't say sky's the limit, but since we're only doing ONE special dine out, we can up our dining expense a bit. Don't need/want the $7.99 specials, wherever they are for Prime Rib. We're thinking fine or finer sit-down dining, not buffet. Actually, I don't eat that much meat, but since it was my wife's idea to celebrate my birthday in Las Vegas, and I know her favorite dish is Prime Rib, go figure. For our other meals, Boyd Gaming will give us 5 days free B, L, & D coupons with our airline reservation.

4. Other activities that are flexible:

- the Mrs enjoys Buffalo Stampede (she plays better BJ than me, but she doesn't count and has no strategy?)
- Ultimate X or VP Deuces are Wild (single line) (for me, when I take a break)
- revisit Bellagio indoor garden (if it's still there); we've seen the fabulous night fountains
- shopping (not for me)
- swimming, or if too cold, a simple gym will do (for me)
- looking for other April happenings in Las Vegas news

Thanks everyone, and have a great Super Bowl Sunday!
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
LostWages
LostWages
  • Threads: 38
February 7th, 2017 at 10:52:21 PM permalink
This is a self-update based on some PMs and my OP

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/video-poker/28084-request-advice-about-vp-tournaments/5/#post576266

1. BJ. Still the same DD described, but I modified my ramp for my $100 buy-in (keeping $20 for emergency double down). I will have a second $100 buy-in, depending on outcome of 1st buy-in.
TC <+2: $5
TC +2 $10
TC +3 $20
TC >+3 $25 (Right after I make this maximum bet, I will color up and take a break)

2. VP Tournament Strategy. Based on my OP above, the posters seemed equally divided between "go for broke and speed play" vs "play optimal". I originally guesstimated my VP HPH at 725-775. I timed myself for speed with 6 X 1 min sessions and 4 X 3 min sessions, and extrapolated an average in the high 900s. BUT: I also remember a handful of errors made for each of the 10 sessions. So my "good" HPH with fewer errors is probably close to my 700s guesstimate. I will probably use a modified approach, initially playing for speed, but reverting to optimal strategy to earn points if I am more than 30% away from the high score by mid point (after 10 min). I called the Cal to double check conditions, and it is Double Double Bonus Poker (DDB), and not Double Bonus Poker (DB) as I originally understood the Cal person I talked to the first slime. It's still 1500 credits to be used in 20 min, which is like 300 hands in 20 min, assuming max play of 5 credits. That would be like 900 HPH. But some posters (in my OP and elsewhere) have indicated that the machines will probably be modified to suit the Cal's tournament goals.

3. Prime Rib OK, here are the 5 top places to enjoy Prime Rib according to Haute Living.

http://hauteliving.com/2011/04/top-5-places-to-order-prime-rib-in-las-vegas/147997/

First Food & Bar, Primarily Prime Rib, The Prime Rib Loft, Morton's The Steakhouse, and Strip House. Have any of you have eaten at any of these places? Please share your comments! Or maybe you've been to a different prime rib place?

4. Other activities. I've checked the weather reports for Apr, and it will still be too chilly (low to mid-70s) for outdoor lap swimming. Does anyone know of a simple gym in downtown Las Vegas where I can do some workouts like seated row, pulleys, bicycle? I've also never played craps, and I gather the safest bet for a 1st time player is min bet on the PASS LINE, avoiding all other side bets and odds until I reach a comfort level.

LW
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
  • Jump to: