beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 75
January 10th, 2017 at 10:14:02 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

As far as money goes, I opened a Wells Fargo account . They are scarce in NY but everywhere in Vegas. Deposited the money in NY, withdrew it in Vegas. No fees.

Good bank. Use them myself . His br is big enough I'm not sure they'll give it all back as a lump sum, as a.new customer, but he'd be smart to talk to them, see.what they can do.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
January 10th, 2017 at 10:31:19 PM permalink
If a good portion on your BR in cash, an option to drive there with less than 5k, take 1-2 cheap flights back/forth to get the rest depending on how much you have in cash you don't want to wire. Banks hate frequent large cash withdrawals and deposits and have on several occasions asked shut down the accounts of and asked law abiding AP's to bank elsewhere for making a pattern of this. US bank is the worst for this. Consider the up to $500 expense of flight an insurance policy. I've flown with 20-30k numerous times without issue, including when Ive been an idiot and had something like coffee or forgot to take a water bottle out bag that set off a bag check. No way in hell would I drive through an extended distance on 1-40 in Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Arizona with near that much and an out of state license plate.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 29
January 10th, 2017 at 11:40:33 PM permalink
I got pulled over in Texas, just east of Oklahoma on my trip in May. I had about $3,000 on me and was fearing the worst. Officer couldn't have been nicer. My front seat was jammed with luggage and when he saw I'd have difficulty opening the glove box he let it slide, said he'd look for my registration online.
After a very short time, he let me go with a written warning.

I've no idea why you people are afraid of banks. I deposited well over $100,000 in NY and another 400,000 when my house sold a few months later. No one asked where the money was coming from. Transferred half out, have the rest in WF investments. They treat me well.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 38
January 11th, 2017 at 4:44:19 AM permalink

I got pulled over in Texas, just east of Oklahoma on my trip in May. I had about $3,000 on me and was fearing the worst. Officer couldn't have been nicer. My front seat was jammed with luggage and when he saw I'd have difficulty opening the glove box he let it slide, said he'd look for my registration online.
After a very short time, he let me go with a written warning.

I've no idea why you people are afraid of banks. I deposited well over $100,000 in NY and another 400,000 when my house sold a few months later. No one asked where the money was coming from. Transferred half out, have the rest in WF investments. They treat me well.

So were these deposits in cash?
I have had my account closed at one bank .They wouldn't tell me why but I was depositing and withdrawing large amounts of cash .
What we've got here is failure to communicate
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 131
January 11th, 2017 at 5:43:21 AM permalink

You may have had no issue with the banks, but rest assured cash transaction forms were completed and filed and could bite you in the future. Obviously if have documentation on all the cash, you have nothing to worry about.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 31
January 11th, 2017 at 6:50:27 AM permalink
Is there any wells fargo branch near Niagara Falls and Buffalo area please? I cannot find any online. Only financial advisors.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 24
January 11th, 2017 at 7:09:19 AM permalink
I've created another thread ( http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/27987-us-banks-and-moving-money-across-us/#post571963 ) as it seems a valid topic to collate ideas about moving large wads of cash or using interstate banks. In the unlikely event of winning a jackpot I'd like to know which bank to use!

Personally I'm intrigued in the best route to Las Vegas having driven some of routes mentioned in the West.
RustyRooter
RustyRooter
  • Threads: 0
Thanks for this post from:
charliepatrick
January 11th, 2017 at 7:22:56 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Personally I'm intrigued in the best route to Las Vegas having driven some of routes mentioned in the West.

Depends on the weather... or whether or not you want to take the scenic route. During the summer, from the east coast, I-70/I-15 would be the most reasonable route, but you have to deal with a few metro areas (Columbus, Indy, St Louis, Denver) with a backup plan of I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15... although I think I-80 is about as boring as they get.

Wintertime I would drop down I-81 to I-40. I-40 is no guarantee, either, but it gives you the option to drop down to I-30/I-20/I-10 to Phoenix, and then up US93 to LV if I-40 is bad (they close I-40 often because of bad roads.)

I travel about 4 times a year between Dallas and Nevada, I-40 runs well when it's running, but I will take the long route through Phoenix/El Paso if I think weather will be a factor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 29
January 11th, 2017 at 8:54:53 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

So were these deposits in cash?
I have had my account closed at one bank .They wouldn't tell me why but I was depositing and withdrawing large amounts of cash .

If you routinely handle large amounts of cash, I'd get advice from a CPA, not from me.
Generating a CTR is not a big deal. I'd imagine tens of millions are generated on a daily basis.
Much better to generate routine CTRs than to get caught trying to avoid them by structuring and or engaging in activities that will result in Suspicious Activity Reports.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
January 11th, 2017 at 4:07:13 PM permalink

As far as money goes, I opened a Wells Fargo account . They are scarce in NY but everywhere in Vegas. Deposited the money in NY, withdrew it in Vegas. No fees.

IIRC, you're starting from Jersey. Wells Fargo, formerly Fidelity and First Fidelity, and Bank of America defeated HSBC in the Jersey consumer market. And at least with Wells Fargo, an account opened in Jersey keeps the same number in Nevada. And you don't even have to change the address on the checks for a while.

• Jump to: