ZenKinG
ZenKinG
  • Threads: 12
January 10th, 2017 at 3:59:41 PM permalink
This was hit a bit on one of my last threads regarding traveling from NJ to Vegas. Im looking to move out on the 23rd and get there by the 25th or 26th conservatively. I already have the hotel picked out that i think i will be signing a lease for so that makes my job easy when i get there. Of course I still have to take a look at it when i get there. Now on to my question.

What's the very best route time wise and avoiding snow wise? I want to avoid any bit of snow i can as my car is a RWD sports car lol. Yes im gonna get killed on gas but it's surprisingly decent at 25mpg highway. Taking a plane and getting my car shipped there would be a lot more so im just gonna bite the bullet and drive.

Please post the very best route to take from NJ to Las Vegas. Thanks in advance to all those who will help. And to all the people calling me out before saying i was a troll and was never going to move, well ill just hope you can post some good info regarding this and i will forget that ever happened.

Post up best routes!
Wong Halves Full Indices ------------ LoneWoLF >
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 61
January 10th, 2017 at 4:10:25 PM permalink
Can't remember the highway but going through Oklahoma is probably best to avoid snow.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 24
January 10th, 2017 at 4:27:16 PM permalink
I'm based in the UK so don't have any first hand advice for driving across from one side to the other, also my driving in the US has tended to be in better weather.

It seems (using google) that you have two obvious routes. The southern route uses I76 then I70; the northern route uses I80; both meeting at Denver before heading towards Las Vegas. Personally I've only driven Denver to Las Vegas, but not in the winter.

I can see that both have had closures in the last week due to snow falls, so am guessing there's a bit of luck. It might be worth finding some useful websites along the route - here's a few.

http://www.nvroads.com/
http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.RoutesResults?SelectedRoute=I80

[edit] The third route via OK uses the I40 and is 38h - or using the I81 39h and goes up from I40 using Rte 93. ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/New+Jersey,+United+States/Las+Vegas,+NV,+USA/@38.0899986,-83.5012338,7z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x89c0fb959e00409f:0x2cd27b07f83f6d8d!2m2!1d-74.4056612!2d40.0583238!3m4!1m2!1d-81.4301473!2d36.8636192!3s0x8851d17e0c428b17:0x8d8ab1ed41b1e863!1m5!1m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3accd5e6d5b379a3!2m2!1d-115.1398296!2d36.1699412!3e0 )

This may sound stupid but it might even be better to head way south (say down the I95 to Jacksonville) and across the I10 via Phoenix! Instead of 37h this is 47h, but possibly much easier; however it does have more Rte93 at the end.

Hope the trip goes well.
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
January 10th, 2017 at 4:27:28 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Can't remember the highway but going through Oklahoma is probably best to avoid snow.

Just checked google maps on my phone and it gave me 3 routes and the furthest one south is obviously the one you're talking about. Looks like i-44 to i-40. Goes through Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. That seems to be about right to avoid the snow. Probably shouldve just checked google maps before posting this as its pretty obvious which way is best to avoid 'snow states'.

Thanks again GWAE
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
January 10th, 2017 at 4:30:05 PM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

I'm based in the UK so don't have any first hand advice for driving across from one side to the other, also my driving in the US has tended to be in better weather.

It seems (using google) that you have two obvious routes. The southern route uses I76 then I70; the northern route uses I80; both meeting at Denver before heading towards Las Vegas. Personally I've only driven Denver to Las Vegas, but not in the winter.

I can see that both have had closures in the last week due to snow falls, so am guessing there's a bit of luck. It might be worth finding some useful websites along the route - here's a few.

http://www.nvroads.com/
http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.RoutesResults?SelectedRoute=I80

This may sound stupid but it might even be better to head south (say down the I95 to Jacksonville) and across the I10 via Phoenix! Instead of 37h this is 47h, but possibly much easier; however it does have Rte93 at the end.

Hope the trip goes well.

Thanks, i just posted same time as you and checked google maps as well. Looks like the south route is the way to go and its only 47 minutes slower and about 15-20 miles longer than the other 2 routes which both take you through colorado and utah and if im gonna get any snow, it will be in those 2 states.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 17
ams288
January 10th, 2017 at 5:01:11 PM permalink
Depending on where in Jersey, I'd go 80 to 81, 81 to 40 and then straight across to Kingman Arizona, then up to Vegas. I did it in three nights, four days but I had a dog so I lost an hour a day at minimum, stopping for him.
Listen to weather reports as the stretch from Texas thru Flagstaff Arizona is prone to winter storms. The Texas panhandle is among the most unpredictable weather in the country. Hopefully, you don't need to shoot down to 10, but be prepared. I hit snow in Rosewell in May, and bad ice several times in Arizona.
One word of warning- you can be driving along with no snow and suddenly the road will rise in elevation and you'll be in a snow storm. It's not like the east. In the west it can be 55 degrees at 1,000 feet above sea level and 25 and snowing at 3,000 feet, five miles away.
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
January 10th, 2017 at 8:35:03 PM permalink
Thanks bill. Ill keep that in mind
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 255
January 10th, 2017 at 8:37:05 PM permalink
I hope your car as all season radials on it: odds are good you'll hit snow/ice somewhere along the way.

Heck, the south just got hit.

Not a good time to travel cross country in a sports sedan.
"What, me worry?"
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 73
January 10th, 2017 at 9:57:32 PM permalink
Hello.

I will say this only once, and still get called a spoilsport.

You are insane if you travel your bankroll through those states as a young guy with NJ plates in a sports car. Wire it and just carry a couple grand. You so fit the profile, and in the winter stand such a good chance of a problem, that the wire fee will be well worth it.

You should invest in tire chains. They're under $50, most western states allow them in mountainous areas (even have pullouts for chain attaching and removal ) and you can sell them on cl once you get there if you want. They're also great for getting yourself out of trouble if you get into snow and can't drive out. Easy to attach and remove.

I would suggest you consider 95 south to 10 (it runs west of South the whole way, so you're making progress), then all the way across 10 until you go north in AZ. In NJ, there's an enormous investment in snow removal equipment and personnel. It's not like that past about Minnesota on the northernmost route, Iowa does ok, Missouri is hopeless, southern states suck.

States west of the line I just drew are sparsely populated and slow to clear snow. They assume nobody really needs to be anywhere fast, and many don't use salt because it eats the roads, so bad driving remains for days, even weeks after a storm. They also drive trucks, jeeps, big suv's in the winter, so they manage better than you will.

If the immediate to 3 day forecast is good (and you start with clear roads) you can probably cut over around Atlanta - Birmingham, but you want to be on 10 by Louisiana at the latest, not in OK. I lived there for a winter, their storms come up fast and hard, and they don't deal.with it well.

Texas and New Mexico is a long, boring haul, but you should make good time on the route. One decent snowstorm can strand you for a couple of days west of.the mississippi; a blizzard can stop you for a week.

I'm just sayin, as someone who's lived all over the Midwest, South, and several points West, and driven about a half million miles...take the southern route. Relax. Enjoy. Your net progress will be faster and a lot less difficult.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 17
mamat
January 10th, 2017 at 10:06:12 PM permalink
As far as money goes, I opened a Wells Fargo account . They are scarce in NY but everywhere in Vegas. Deposited the money in NY, withdrew it in Vegas. No fees.

• Jump to: