Thread Rating:

stabworld
stabworld
  • Threads: 17
March 14th, 2014 at 9:26:27 AM permalink
Oh - I would like to ask a question ... Do you have to color up with the dealer - when your ready to leave? Or can you decline? Do they do this just so they can log into the computer what you are leaving with (to see if you won or lost - keeping a win loss rate on your play)?
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
March 14th, 2014 at 9:44:16 AM permalink
You don't have to.

They do it for multiple reasons:
-They want to keep lower denomination chips on the table for other people to be able to use.
-They can make easier note of how much you are leaving the table with.
-It's easier for you to carry around a few large denominations chips rather than a ton of small ones.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
March 14th, 2014 at 11:24:36 AM permalink
Quote: stabworld

Ok, so just played my 1st real practice session (really 2nd session, but first session was not even a full shoe..got annoyed by the smoke and got up).. played roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours.. played 3 shoes from start to finish..actually wonged out the last shoe with 1 and half decks remaining due to a extremely low negative count.. penetration was unbelievable..85-90% on all 3 shoes! $10 min table.. bet the min 90% of the hands..but when the count got up to around +10 +11 +12 even +14 +15 on some rounds..Towards the end of the 2nd shoe i played..i was betting $30 and $40..

I went into this session with the mindset of keeping a min bet regardless of the count because its for practice purposes.. but i couldnt resist spreading once the count got that high.. i didnt do too bad (even though I know this is just a short term win and cannot expect the same results all the time)... I profited $140 for the session with a $200 buy in.. i pocketed $125 in green chips in between the 2nd and 3rd shoe.. but I think the dealer took notice and alerted the pit.. the pit came by to glance at my chip stack..and mumbled something like ok he pocketed..then typed something in the computer.. i could be paranoid - but that is what it seemed like...

I lost the count a few times.. using the hi-lo count.. but wasnt off by much when i picked it back up using my last known number... You really have to have a good attention span..its very hard to keep a count... but i dont think i did too bad.. i was trying to block out eveyting else.. and just stay focused on the count... it was a little hard with this moron to the right of me who kept slamming the table everytime he lost and was verbally complaining eveytime he lost.. all in all it was a fun experience.. i def have to study the index plays however... I do know some experienced counters posted saying I should prob use the KO count as it might be easier..but I felt pretty comfortable using the Hi/Lo count.. the division of the remaining decks into the running count to get the true count.... comes natural for me..wasnt that hard..

Looking forward to my next practice session..

Good job at winning. I'm glad to read you didn't go crazy and blast away with huge bets, especially if you are losing the count sometimes. I would recommend the KO count for someone who is almost perfect at strategy, and/or is beginning to count for the first time. I would not recommend it for someone somewhat proficient at counting and ready to learn indices. If you are 100% proficient at basic strategy, and you are comfortable enough with hi-lo that you think it will eventually get easier to maintain the count--or at least ballpark it on the rare occasion you have a lapse--then don't switch. You would rather learn indices with hi-lo than with KO because they are more powerful, and there is a vast amount of free information on hi-lo.
As for being spotted, paranoia plagues the newbie. You likely have nothing to worry about. As time goes on, you will be able to pick up on real signs that you are being noticed. It usually starts with body language, a hint of suspicion. Then people become discreetly interested in your play. Putting your info into the computer is routine, you will never have an inkling if they indicate you are counting in the computer.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 14th, 2014 at 11:36:01 AM permalink
Don't wait until the count is "extremely negative" to get out. Playing through negative counts will cost you a lot over time.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
March 14th, 2014 at 12:15:09 PM permalink
Agreed. But I still think the main lesson here is that there are a lot of things to learn and perfect before you start putting blacks on the table. Wonging right now is not a big deal, but if it isn't in your toolbox and you are willing to bet $400, then you are in trouble.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 14th, 2014 at 12:27:43 PM permalink

Oh - I would like to ask a question ... Do you have to color up with the dealer - when your ready to leave? Or can you decline? Do they do this just so they can log into the computer what you are leaving with (to see if you won or lost - keeping a win loss rate on your play)?

You don't have to (they are your chips; you can leave with them if you want), but what are you trying to accomplish by not coloring up?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 65
March 14th, 2014 at 2:37:50 PM permalink

Ok, so just played my 1st real practice session (really 2nd session, but first session was not even a full shoe..got annoyed by the smoke and got up).. played roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours.. played 3 shoes from start to finish..actually wonged out the last shoe with 1 and half decks remaining due to a extremely low negative count.. penetration was unbelievable..85-90% on all 3 shoes! $10 min table.. bet the min 90% of the hands..but when the count got up to around +10 +11 +12 even +14 +15 on some rounds..Towards the end of the 2nd shoe i played..i was betting $30 and $40..

I went into this session with the mindset of keeping a min bet regardless of the count because its for practice purposes.. but i couldnt resist spreading once the count got that high.. i didnt do too bad (even though I know this is just a short term win and cannot expect the same results all the time)... I profited $140 for the session with a $200 buy in.. i pocketed $125 in green chips in between the 2nd and 3rd shoe.. but I think the dealer took notice and alerted the pit.. the pit came by to glance at my chip stack..and mumbled something like ok he pocketed..then typed something in the computer.. i could be paranoid - but that is what it seemed like...

I lost the count a few times.. using the hi-lo count.. but wasnt off by much when i picked it back up using my last known number... You really have to have a good attention span..its very hard to keep a count... but i dont think i did too bad.. i was trying to block out eveyting else.. and just stay focused on the count... it was a little hard with this moron to the right of me who kept slamming the table everytime he lost and was verbally complaining eveytime he lost.. all in all it was a fun experience.. i def have to study the index plays however... I do know some experienced counters posted saying I should prob use the KO count as it might be easier..but I felt pretty comfortable using the Hi/Lo count.. the division of the remaining decks into the running count to get the true count.... comes natural for me..wasnt that hard..

Looking forward to my next practice session..

Sounds a lot like my early practice sessions. Definitely don't put any more money than that at risk if you are still losing the count.

Keeping the count with noise and other distractions is a skill that comes with practice :).

Also, I am jealous that the division comes easily to you. Maybe I gave up too early when I switched to unbalanced, but it was really difficult for me under realistic conditions.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 1
March 14th, 2014 at 3:10:03 PM permalink
The OP is bankrolled with retirement funds and a 0% balance transfer off credit cards, and you all are debating the finer points of wonging.

OP should not be playing blackjack.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 65
March 14th, 2014 at 4:55:08 PM permalink
Quote: sabre

The OP is bankrolled with retirement funds and a 0% balance transfer off credit cards, and you all are debating the finer points of wonging.

Honestly, that is true.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
March 14th, 2014 at 6:10:13 PM permalink
Quote: sabre

Oh, wow, I missed a lot of this thread. I need to go back.

But, regardless of where you got the money from, when the count goes bad, get the hell out.

• Jump to: