Tips for Winning the Lottery from a 7 Time Winner! Reaction?

Page 1 of 71234>Last »

Thread Rating:

March 14th, 2012 at 4:28:59 PM permalink
YoDiceRoll11
Threads: 7
So my local news ran a video of this guy in FL who had won the lottery seven times. He describes as having a method.

7-time lottery winner gives tips on how to increase your odds

He gives some good tips like setting a budget, not using grocery or other living related expenses to buy lottery tickets.

He gives an example as having a budget of $100:
That means you divide your budget by 10 and by ten of that denomination. In this example you would buy ten $10 tickets.
Buy 10 tickets in a row of the same game.
"Almost every single time you do that, you're going to find a winning ticket in there. Most of the times, even two winning tickets...

Second tip: DO NOT buy quick picks. He says you can't increase your chances by buying a random lottery ticket? WTF? Is this guy high? How does using your own numbers make your chances higher than a random number set. What a crack pot. He describes using quick picks as taking a loaded gun, putting on a blindfold, and trying to hit a target "It's not going to happen" he says. WTF?

What do you guys think? Can anyone with some math confirm that using your own numbers and using a random quick gives you the same exact chances?
March 14th, 2012 at 4:48:12 PM permalink
CrystalMath
If he said "you can't increase your chances by buying a random lottery ticket," then he is right. If he said "using your own numbers makes your chances higher," then he is wrong.

If I ever played the lottery, I would use a quick pick to lower my chances of matching another winning ticket. Although my chances of winning wouldn't be higher, the probability of a larger prize would increase. The problem with picking your own numbers is that many people pick birthdays or patterns on the ticket. For instance, if you picked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 with a power ball of 1, and you won, you would probably split that prize with 25 people.

As for the 10 ticket at a time thing, I think it's baloney. Sure, you have a good chance of getting a winning ticket, but that ticket will probably be a push. But, I've wondered about the randomness of the printing process.
I heart Crystal Math.
March 14th, 2012 at 4:56:38 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 49
A bit off-topic, but I wonder if this guy's story has been discussed on these boards before? I just joined a couple of months ago, but this story is about a year old.
Cracking the Scratch Lottery Code
Short version: a statistician figured out a way to determine whether a certain kind of match-the-tic-tac-toe scratch-off lottery ticket was a winner by looking at the patterns on the visible tic-tac-toe boards.
"Hello, Adam and Eve: meet that old serpent, seven out." -MrV
March 14th, 2012 at 5:25:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 362
Quote: CrystalMath
As for the 10 ticket at a time thing, I think it's baloney. Sure, you have a good chance of getting a winning ticket, but that ticket will probably be a push. But, I've wondered about the randomness of the printing process.

The idea is you're more likely to win anything if you stick to one game, all other things being equal (ie no info on whether the big prizes have been collected yet). So buying ten tickets for game A is better than buying one ticket each of games A through J. I see nothing wrong with that advice. At worst it makes no difference.

The nonsense about quick picks is just nonsense. When I played lotto every week, I would buy the same numbers every time and some quick picks. I pooled with other epople. At the high, or low, point we were about 7 people and we bought, I think, 40 tickets per drawing. About 30 were the same numbers every week and the rest quick picks.

Overall we won some 3rd prizes three times. Once with a quick pick. So there :P

But the best move I ever made in lotto was to quit playing it.
You can visit my blog Kathy's Cooking Corner at kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx ... .... When someone offers you friendship with one hand and stabs you in the back with the other, you tend to notice the knife a little bit more.
March 14th, 2012 at 5:55:33 PM permalink
YoDiceRoll11
Quote: Nareed

But the best move I ever made in lotto was to quit playing it.

Definitely, although I will admit when the Mega Millions jackpot goes over $300 million, I buy one or two tickets for fun. Good donation to the children if anything.
March 14th, 2012 at 5:59:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 362
Quote: YoDiceRoll11
Definitely, although I will admit when the Mega Millions jackpot goes over $300 million, I buy one or two tickets for fun. Good donation to the children if anything.

Oh, I buy a ticket or two when the local lotto jackpot gets high, too. And I play the weekly NFL lotto (look it up, I explained it somewhere on the board) during football season just for fun. It's a harmless passtime.
You can visit my blog Kathy's Cooking Corner at kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx ... .... When someone offers you friendship with one hand and stabs you in the back with the other, you tend to notice the knife a little bit more.
March 14th, 2012 at 6:08:30 PM permalink
YoDiceRoll11
Quote: AcesAndEights
A bit off-topic, but I wonder if this guy's story has been discussed on these boards before? I just joined a couple of months ago, but this story is about a year old.
Cracking the Scratch Lottery Code
Short version: a statistician figured out a way to determine whether a certain kind of match-the-tic-tac-toe scratch-off lottery ticket was a winner by looking at the patterns on the visible tic-tac-toe boards.

Very interesting read. Thanks!
March 14th, 2012 at 6:34:14 PM permalink
mrjjj
Threads: 75
For starters, I own the book and talked to the guy for around 40 minutes, shooting the breeze. I want to LEARN from a guy who knows his s**t, not from other wannabee winners who sit around and pat each other on the back all night. I would kiss the ground he walks on if I had the chance. Anyways, I dont care about scratch offs and never will. A couple of his 'big wins' are from scratch offs but again, thats cool and everything but its not for me. His BIG wins are from playing the tickets and CORRECT, he plays no quick picks. He has looked up (on the lotto web site) different series of numbers to make sure they have NEVER hit in the past and plays MANY series per week, always sticking with the SAME set of numbers. He NEVER misses a day of playing, very *CONSISTENT*.

Hmmm, that sounds odd...."Every set has an equal chance of hitting". (LMAO)

He did his research/put a ton of time into it and its paying off, God bless him. If I had to guess, probably more than 9 hours of research I might add.

All smaller wins ($5, $10 whatever) goes right back into his pool of lotto money. He keeps all losing tickets for tax reasons. There are a couple other items in the book I won't discuss but he TAUGHT his daughter some of his tactics and she also won a large amount. Lets also not forget the profits from his book sales. I find something kind of funny on this board.....if people do WELL, they get insulted and their world gets rocked. I would trade 20 of the top 'pros' (cough) on this board for one Richard Lustig.

Ken
March 14th, 2012 at 6:39:07 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 78
It's absolutely true that smartly picking your own numbers increases your EV in a lottery game. You're no more likely to win, but you're likely to win more than you would playing quick picks. Random quick picks can easily match the selected numbers of fools (1-2-3-4-5, the numbers from Lost, etc) and easily result in shared jackpots.

I'd wager that the ideal lottery numbers are an arbitrarily selected set of numbers over 31, and you'd need to select your own numbers to guarantee the issuance of those numbers.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
March 14th, 2012 at 6:41:01 PM permalink
mrjjj
Threads: 75
This is great >> (Larry Dawson), watch the short video (2 minutes). A 9 million dollar winner, had the book for three months!!

Luck? Maybe, maybe not. http://www.lotterypost.com/news/231364

Ken
Page 1 of 71234>Last »

Bovada is endorsed by the Wizard.
Here are my reasons why and my promise of support.