FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
December 23rd, 2009 at 10:12:29 PM permalink
Here's the surefire betting system. Sports Martingale. How often do NFL teams go 0-16 against the spread? In Roulette, the little white ball doesn't have a memory, but point spread makers have great memories!

Alright, go trash me using fancy math, but my guess is that nfl martingale has a lower house edge then picking blindly. Maybe not as good as home underdogs....

Thoughts?
MrPapagiorgio
MrPapagiorgio
  • Threads: 58
December 24th, 2009 at 3:08:49 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Here's the surefire betting system. Sports Martingale. How often do NFL teams go 0-16 against the spread? In Roulette, the little white ball doesn't have a memory, but point spread makers have great memories!

Alright, go trash me using fancy math, but my guess is that nfl martingale has a lower house edge then picking blindly. Maybe not as good as home underdogs....

Thoughts?

Are the bets even money?
So I says to him, I said "Get your own monkey!"
FinsRule
FinsRule
December 24th, 2009 at 5:36:40 AM permalink
No, let's say you can always get -105 though.
FinsRule
FinsRule
December 24th, 2009 at 5:45:19 AM permalink
I see what you are getting at though. You would have to more than double up to make any money. Meaning that your bets would get very high, very quickly. However, a quick look at some stats showed me that the worst team ATS this year is the Steelers at 4-10. So at least this year, NFL Martingale would have gone 32-0.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
December 24th, 2009 at 7:00:00 AM permalink

Thoughts?

Interesrting to say the least. I may have to start tracking it. As noted before, you have to more than double up and I don't see getting -105 all that often.

But you can do other things. One of the sites, betus or bodog, had a deal where you pick the favorite for >$100 you get a $25 chip for each TD the favorite scores. Even with 20xs playthru that could add up.

Of course, in sports you could just skip the first loss and take those on an ATS losing streak. Save the first loss.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lucky13
lucky13
  • Threads: 8
December 24th, 2009 at 10:06:35 AM permalink
While it may work, you'd be betting more than 500x your hoped for win with a loss of 9 games in a row, and betting >$1/2mm to win $1000 doesn't seem like fun to me. And I do believe last year the Lions lost something like 12 games in a row ATS.
pocketaces
pocketaces
  • Threads: 3
December 24th, 2009 at 12:57:14 PM permalink
Of course this strategy is identical to every other martingale system. You usually win a little bit, but when you lose you lose big. The more you do it, the more likely you will hit that losing point, although it could even happen right away. There's lots on the martingale out there and I guarantee you that you have not stumbled on anything different.

You could be making some huge bets just to win one measly small bet back. Absolutely pointless, and stupid.
thefish2010
thefish2010
  • Threads: 5
December 25th, 2009 at 3:30:16 PM permalink

Thoughts?

Don't try this betting on Detroit unless you want to be homeless :). My guess is that this has been tried and failed with at some point in history. I know that at even top-flight sports books like Bellagio the max bet is $5K per game unless you are a "known player" so you might run into a max pretty quickly if you have a bad run.
rogerneilson
rogerneilson
  • Threads: 2
February 23rd, 2010 at 9:37:46 PM permalink
When it comes to Detroit, I think the strategy is to bet against them and if they cover... double. And to be really conservative, only use road games.

But I'd go with San Diego in mid season... I don't know that the lines will take into account their slow starts and great finishes into a new season.
  • Jump to: