buzzr
buzzr
  • Threads: 1
May 29th, 2016 at 10:21:13 AM permalink
Using the odds calculator on the Wizard of Odds for Ultimate Texas Hold em I saw some results that seemed counter intuitive.
Has anyone else noticed that? Is there another calculator available to help me tune my strategy?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 29th, 2016 at 10:25:05 AM permalink
Maybe an example would be helpful
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 29th, 2016 at 9:50:09 PM permalink
Sometimes strategy, whether UTH, VP, or some other game, isn't intuitive (or rather, counter-intuitive)....at least at first. If you study it a bit more, you can likely come up with why the strategy says to do X instead of Y.

Remember, a bit of UTH strategy has to do with the fact sometimes you're betting 1 unit so you save your blind bet [hoping for a push].

For instance, perhaps you have a 50% chance of losing and a 50% chance of pushing, with no way to win. With a $5 unit ($5 on ante, $5 blind), it would be better to bet the $5 extra dollars and hope for a push. If you fold, you're guaranteed to lose $10. If you play, 50% of the time you'll lose $15 and 50% of the time you'll lose nothing...for an average loss of $7.50. Of course, this is a simple case where it is (or should be) intuitively obvious why betting $5, even with NO CHANCE of winning, is a better play than folding.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
May 31st, 2016 at 8:37:26 AM permalink
When did you become such a UTH expert RS? =)
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 3
May 31st, 2016 at 12:34:15 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Sometimes strategy, whether UTH, VP, or some other game, isn't intuitive (or rather, counter-intuitive)....at least at first. If you study it a bit more, you can likely come up with why the strategy says to do X instead of Y.

That is true, but also, the specific UTH game on the Wizard site might also have bugs. This came up in a different UTH thread and there were a couple of examples where its advice looked incorrect. See https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/all-other/25632-ultimate-texas-holdem-practice-on-web-site/

This might have been a temporary thing.

I am positive it's had me check bottom pair on the flop on a number of occasions, which I find surprising and is not as advised by the Wizard strategy. But I think the play-money game is using optimal strategy, not the simplified strategy, so it might just be those are fringe-case exceptions. So my personal experience isn't as convincing.

I agree, an example would be helpful.
Last edited by: MrGoldenSun on May 31, 2016
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
May 31st, 2016 at 1:40:20 PM permalink
Personally I raise x4 on any pair in the hole except 2's.

I would raise x2
(i) if the board had trips or pair AND I could form a higher hand (i.e. quads, FH; 2 pair)
(ii) If the board was suited - any matching card (pair) or suited card (flush) [technically you need a good kicker with lowest pair or with 4 to a flush]
(iii) If the board was not suited - any matching card (i.e. you've made a pair) [but not if you only have pair 2s in hole)
(iv) Some drawing hands (e.g. your two cards make a 4-card flush draw).

See the chart for x1 raises - note you always play the board if it's any 5-card hand and on other hand-types when the board has a great kicker.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 31st, 2016 at 2:24:11 PM permalink
The game is sometimes giving the wrong advice on the 2X decision.

At least the game 'pop-up' indicating a wrong move is in conflict with the 'situation calculator' ... proved this to myself . See link

https://wizardofodds.com/games/ultimate-texas-hold-em/calculator/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: