bgriffin
bgriffin
  • Threads: 8
June 18th, 2017 at 3:47:03 PM permalink
I usually visit Borgata a couple of times a year for a quick weekend getaway, arriving around midday Saturday, staying the night at one of the hotels on site, and leaving mid-afternoon Sunday.

The most annoying part of this is always the 11am checkout time, which means getting up a bit earlier than preferred (especially if Saturday turns into a late night) to shower and pack before having to get out of the room, and checking bags with the bell desk or making other arrangements, etc.

It had never occurred to me until recently, but I almost always have a comp offer for Sunday night stays, even in cases when I sometimes have to pay for Saturday night. So I was thinking I could start booking a 2-night stay checking out on Monday, but just check out later on Sunday afternoon when we're ready to go to give us continued access to the room for a few more hours.

Does anyone know if there are any downsides to doing this? Is Borgata going to "expect" more play from me for a 2-night stay than they would for a 1-night stay and possibly cut my offers as a result? We usually spend a few hours gambling in the early afternoon on Sunday so there would be some Sunday activity, but if Borgata calculates customer value on a per-hotel-night basis we could be viewed as half as valuable if we do this. On the other hand if they calculate customer value just on a per-trip basis I would think it doesn't matter.

Any insights? Thanks!
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
June 18th, 2017 at 4:09:12 PM permalink
If you have the Sunday night comped, there is no downside to booking the Sunday and leaving in mid-afternoon, except for the $20/night tax.

So if you'd pay $20 to check out as late as you want, you should do it.

Borgata offers based on overall play per trip (or at least the old MBR website showed it by trip), and two nights per week is what most people get. If you just play one of those days it's not going to be a problem.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 19th, 2017 at 6:22:01 AM permalink
My CET host generally insists I do this (book the extra night) as it's so much more convenient for me, usually departing on the redeye. Borgata is now MGM, so YMMV. But I don't believe it's ever significantly hurt my rating.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
  • Threads: 121
June 19th, 2017 at 3:03:04 PM permalink
It's definitely trips you out for an extra day
Anyone that doesn't relaize this is making a huge error if you are looking for future offers
No longer hiring, don’t ask because I won’t hire you either
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 19th, 2017 at 6:47:05 PM permalink
Quote: Wizardofnothing

Anyone that doesn't relaize this is making a huge error if you are looking for future offers

Yeah, I don't just book it and not play that day. My flight usually goes at 9-10 pm so I play several hours that day, too.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
bgriffin
bgriffin
June 21st, 2017 at 1:15:51 PM permalink
Thanks for the responses all.

Quote: Wizardofnothing

What do you mean by this? We usually gamble for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon so there would definitely be some activity on the account that day.

Question is just whether Borgata views guests as a value per trip, in which case this presumably shouldn't make a difference, or if they view it as value per day or value per hotel night. Thinking about it, from everything I've seen, I guess it doesn't seem like they're sophisticated enough to think about it as value per hotel night anyway. And if they view it as value per day, we are already doing the Sunday gambling anyway so whatever dilution that may cause us is probably already baked in.
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
June 22nd, 2017 at 12:12:03 AM permalink
This reminds me of a somewhat similar situation, I think it'll be fine to tack it onto this thread.

Recently, two friends shared paying for an Aria Sky Suite. One of them had an offer for a comp night (I think in a regular room) with free play and food credit. He booked the comp room for one of the nights during their stay just to use the free play and food credit. He pulled back the bed sheets and turned on the shower just to make the room look used. I thought that was silly because I don't think it would make a difference. I assume only the maid would see the room and wouldn't know the booking details.
bgriffin
bgriffin
June 12th, 2018 at 6:04:18 AM permalink
BTW -- finally tried this and indeed I believe Wizardofnothing is correct. I had about the same amount of total play as on previous trips, over the same time periods (including substantial play time on Sunday afternoon), but now after the trip my future room offers appear to have gotten substantially worse -- before this trip I had many future Saturday night comp offers and now I have none.

From my past experience, Borgata room offers seem to correlate closely to your average comp dollars earned per trip over recent trips (not sure how far back "recent" goes) -- or, with this new data point, and comparing to various points in the past, I think maybe it's average comp dollars earned per hotel night. So my future offers now are essentially based on the profile of someone who gambled half as much as I did, but stayed only one hotel night. (Somewhere in the $70-$100 comp dollars per hotel night range seems to be where you start seeing Saturday night comps; weeknight comps can come with as little as $20-30 per hotel night.)
  • Jump to: