7star4now
7star4now
  • Threads: 33
June 1st, 2015 at 5:30:50 PM permalink
I do admire his way with words, & here he echoes sentiments I've always had of the Donald & the Taj, when I believe the seeds of ruin were originally planted in AC, opening the way for hedge fund operators , & poor little rich boys with inheritances, with no gaming experience, to crawl into AC like rats to plunder and pillage:

"And has anyone, ever, taken as large, as ugly, as steaming a sh*t on a city as Donald Trump's Taj Mahal in Atlantic City? LOOK at it! (We do, in this episode). Can you imagine an uglier, tackier structure -- one more oblivious to its surroundings? It seems designed specifically to obscure the beach, the boardwalk, the gorgeous architecture of Atlantic City -- the very things that (still) make AC wonderful...Of course, Donald seems eager to separate himself from his leavings these days, not because its an architectural abomination, but because its apparently become a financial embarrassment."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/29/travel/new-jersey-bourdain-parts-unknown/index.html
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 1st, 2015 at 7:23:58 PM permalink
I love Tony, I'm gorging on his shows
via Netflix and On Demand. Very
entertaining.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 2nd, 2015 at 2:10:39 AM permalink
yes, haven't watched much lately but there's something about those shows

for one thing, I keep thinking "this guy knows how to do it" - how great would it be to have your own special 'foodie guy' meet you every where you travel?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
June 15th, 2015 at 2:46:59 PM permalink
A few years ago 09 or 10 I forget which. Caesars in AC was having a great chefs series over the summer. Every week there was a new celebrity chef there. For $40-50 bucks you could watch them cook a meal and tell funny stories. My wife loves Anthony Bourdain and it was around her birthday so I got two tickets. He was hilarious in person, very sarcastic and self deprecating. We met him briefly after the show, seemed like a real genuine guy. My wife still talks about it. Don't tell her I got comped tickets.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 15th, 2015 at 2:57:32 PM permalink
Bourdain is a TV natural, and he was in his
mid 40's before he started doing shows.
He's always relaxed and natural and comes
across as somebody you could have a beer
with. He never brags or comes across as
having an ego at all. Had lots of drug problems
in his 20's, which he talks about freely. The
kind of problems that only methadone can